Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosWhy don't powerlifters train like olympic lifters and vica versa.

Why don't powerlifters train like olympic lifters and vica versa.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MrSmall
I have been thinking this sort of thing over, don't have the experience to know.

Olympic lifting routines, regular, near day to day 1-3 rep maxes on the comp lifts and back squat, power clean, etc.

Powerlifting routines, 3-4 days a week, buildup, deload, percentages, etc.

My question is, why haven't powerlifters trained like olympic lifters frequency wise, and why don't olympic lifters like to use percentages and buildups with goals in mind. Squatting heavy weights, check. Pressing heavy weights, check. Pulling heavy weights, check.

BOTH have been very succesful in their fields.

Would you say olympic lifters rate of success and progression is greater than a powerlifter's? Their increased recovery rate is through vigorous training from a young age and getting the work capacity for it.

Is the weightlifting methodology the way for the young athlete, and the powerlifting way of going ahead for when you have less recovery at a later age?

The average age of all of the Olympic weightlifting gold medalists in Beijing was around 21-22 years of age.

The IPF world champions this year have an average age of 29.6 years of age.

Discuss!
weightlifters are fooked by 30 powerlifters are just warming up by 30
arnt Sheiko methods similar to oly lifting? Low reps doing the same exercises over and over with micro cycles, meso cycles, prep phases etc? Another massive factor is kit, like learning to drive a car you dont just get in it and know how to use it. It can take a while to learn how to use it properly Happy
Steve
MrSmall said:I have been thinking this sort of thing over, don't have the experience to know.

Olympic lifting routines, regular, near day to day 1-3 rep maxes on the comp lifts and back squat, power clean, etc.

Powerlifting routines, 3-4 days a week, buildup, deload, percentages, etc.

My question is, why haven't powerlifters trained like olympic lifters frequency wise, and why don't olympic lifters like to use percentages and buildups with goals in mind. Squatting heavy weights, check. Pressing heavy weights, check. Pulling heavy weights, check.

BOTH have been very succesful in their fields.

Would you say olympic lifters rate of success and progression is greater than a powerlifter's? Their increased recovery rate is through vigorous training from a young age and getting the work capacity for it.

Is the weightlifting methodology the way for the young athlete, and the powerlifting way of going ahead for when you have less recovery at a later age?

The average age of all of the Olympic weightlifting gold medalists in Beijing was around 21-22 years of age.

Discuss!

Alexey Sivokon, arugeable one of the best powerlifters ever pound for pounds and many times IPF world champ and overall IPF best lifter was reported to train very much like a weightlifter, with multiple sessions a day, 6 days a week
MrSmall said:

Nail. Head.

So many young powerlifters come through from the hotbeds of oly lifting, Eastern Europe/Russia, and lift huge numbers at a young age and even do so raw/single ply. They all train oly lifting style and burn out and are never seen again.

You keep getting naturally stronger until your mid-30s, its crazy to go as all out like some of these guys.
Steve said:
Alexey Sivokon, arugeable one of the best powerlifters ever pound for pounds and many times IPF world champ and overall IPF best lifter was reported to train very much like a weightlifter, with multiple sessions a day, 6 days a week

sivokon was a favourite of mine but should of lifted in the gpc

Wink
Post Edited: 19.12.2009 @ 09:48 AM by Cuddles
A big difference in the training is the eccentric. Oly lifters (apart from when squatting) dont do many lifts with a tough eccentric. Lift it, drop it, repeat.

Although I think the bigger reason is that oly lifters train to lift the way they do over years and years. Powerlifters train to lift the way they do over years and years. It's ingrained in them. If you do something different to the norm you are considered to be mad. Plenty of good strong powerlifters lifting with frequencies akin to oly lifters though.

The most impressive powerlifter ive ever met lifted 10 times a week, mon-fri every lunchtime and mon-fri every evening. Plenty of folk getting good success with Sheiko too.
I think the whole 'eccentric' argument is flawed though. Afterall squats have an eccentric and oly litters squat regularly and heavy. Also sheiko works at quite low %'s so again is quite different from the frequent balls to the wall sessions of the oly lifters.

To summarize: Olly is a c**t.
Sparrow said:I think the whole 'eccentric' argument is flawed though. Afterall squats have an eccentric and oly litters squat regularly and heavy. Also sheiko works at quite low %'s so again is quite different from the frequent balls to the wall sessions of the oly lifters.

To summarize: Olly is a c**t.

The squat is the assistance lift though, not the competitive lift. And most oly lifters that I have seen squat regularly and heavy but not slow grinding reps. Bar speed seems to be key, and that includes the eccentric.

I'm not sure what your point is about Sheiko other than to prove that I am not the only c**t in this thread Wink
Post Edited: 19.12.2009 @ 11:11 AM by Sparrow
Oly lifters still squat heavy and often though and make very good progress on the lift. Heavy lifts will be slower than lighter lifts for everyone so I don't think you can say oly lads don't do slow squats.

My point about sheiko was that it is lower %'s than oly lifters typically train at so it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Whether I have a point or not isn't the point though, the point is that I wanted an argument with you and that you REALLY are a c**t!
Well if I had been trained as a child to build of my work tolerance to very high levels and then had a job that both allowed me to train and recover from 12 sessions a week I would do it Happy

Not sure how it would work in the PL equipment though?
powerlifters are pretty lazy though
dr_hazbun
Cuddles said:

The most impressive powerlifter ive ever met lifted 10 times a week, mon-fri every lunchtime and mon-fri every evening. Plenty of folk getting good success with Sheiko too.

That's amazing because the most successful powerlifter I've ever met (I'm talking multiple British champion, European/commonwealth etc you name it over nearly 3 decades of lifting) only trains twice a week.
Steve
dr_hazbun said:
That's amazing because the most successful powerlifter I've ever met (I'm talking multiple British champion, European/commonwealth etc you name it over nearly 3 decades of lifting) only trains twice a week.

Was that because they wanted to only train twice a week, or because that's all they could manage to fit in? Maybe, whoever it is, would have lifted even more if they had the opportunity to train more often.
Steve
dr_hazbun said:

Just out of curiosity who is it?

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosWhy don't powerlifters train like olympic lifters and vica versa.
Return to top View Desktop Site