Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitStronger than anyone (everyone) whoe doesn't train?

Stronger than anyone (everyone) whoe doesn't train?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Pikefingers
Post Edited: 25.08.2014 @ 12:41 PM by Pikefingers
What level of strength do you think you would have to reach to be stronger than any untrained person?

I suppose the easiest way to quantify this would be by talking in terms of totals.
-Maybe 600K? Possibly more assuming there are going to be a few natural giants walking around at 140K plus.

Do you consider yourself to be realistically stronger than any untrained person? Or is this just a notion that isn't even worth exploring due to the amount of variation in the human form and the number of people in the world?

(PS. Bored on a rainy bank holiday so asking silly questions)
ChrisMcCarthy
I think you are going to get a wildly variating range of answers, and probably a debate on whether working a physical job for twenty years counts as untrained. Someone will probably also trot out a highly unlikely number that someone hit 'on their first day in the gym'.
Harry
Seeing as you can die to a single punch, can be killed by a pen or get turned into a vegetable via a bottle over your noggin, does it really matter?
I cant see anyone totalling 600kg without training, 220/130/250, thats a pretty strong guy
AdamT
unit94 said:I cant see anyone totalling 600kg without training, 220/130/250, thats a pretty strong guy

I'd say there are a few big guys that could do it. Think Terry says he could deadlift 260 and bench 110 for reps. Suppose he has a good background in judo and rugby.
AdamT said:
I'd say there are a few big guys that could do it. Think Terry says he could deadlift 260 and bench 110 for reps. Suppose he has a good background in judo and rugby.

I wouldnt count that as untrained though with the rugby and judo but lets call it untrained, 260 deadlift, 110 bench is 370 so a 230 squat needed for 600 total, thats alot for a 6 foot 6 guy but if he could squat 230 then thats a 600 total by one of the strongest men in the world after years of indirect strength training, cant be too many other guys hitting them numbers.
how many guys do you know personally that could hit 500 un trained, or even 400
AdamT said:

Well this is it, is someone with training in other sports still 'untrained'? personally I doubt it.

I also think the max total would be reasonably low as while there are plenty of guys who could naturally bench and deadlift big numbers very few would be able to squat over bw without training due to the fact its a bit of an unusual movement and requires a fair degree of balance and mobility to do right. Big guys may have a huge leg press when they first step in the gym, but a huge squat on day 1, that's something I've never came across.
AdamT
KevC86 said:
Well this is it, is someone with training in other sports still 'untrained'? personally I doubt it.
I also think the max total would be reasonably low as while there are plenty of guys who could naturally bench and deadlift big numbers very few would be able to squat over bw without training due to the fact its a bit of an unusual movement and requires a fair degree of balance and mobility to do right. Big guys may have a huge leg press when they first step in the gym, but a huge squat on day 1, that's something I've never came across.

agree with squat. Fella I know can bench 80 and deadlift 170 no problem as a beginner. He couldn't squat over 60 properly. Not flexible enough and has horrible technique
yeah squatting is the one that would let the total down
AdamT
Deadlift would probably be the easiest for someone naturally strong. Have witnessed plenty of guys struggle to bench reps 60kg but deadlift over 150.
most of the untrained people that have come to train with me are normally around

35-45kg strict press
40-60kg bench
80-120 dl
70-90kg squat

take into account the genetic freaks out there i would put the upper limits for untrained people at

80kg strict
100kg bench
220kg dl
180 squat

so if you can do this i would say you would be stronger then 99.99% of untrained people.
With no sport training at all, i doubt there are any 200kg squats out there, let alone a 5/600 total.
I mean, of all the people who train 600kg is still a million miles from them
AdamT
So anything over a 400 would be strong for untrained? Say a 130/100/170 total. Actually in proper form that would be pretty impressive for a complete novice.
richiebevan said:most of the untrained people that have come to train with me are normally around

35-45kg strict press
40-60kg bench
80-120 dl
70-90kg squat

take into account the genetic freaks out there i would put the upper limits for untrained people at

80kg strict
100kg bench
220kg dl
180 squat

so if you can do this i would say you would be stronger then 99.99% of untrained people.

I'd the first list there is pretty accurate.

However stronger in the gym is a very specific type of strength and doesn't always correlate well to lifting random s**t in life like photocopiers, large stones, sofas etc.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitStronger than anyone (everyone) whoe doesn't train?
Return to top View Desktop Site