REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 229 guests
You are here: HomeForumGaston87 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Gaston87

» Unusual ingredients (Go to post)26-01-2011 @ 21:06 
Highly into venison myself, awesome meat!!
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)26-01-2011 @ 20:11 
Wed 26th January... Max effort bench day

Same as last week pretty much

Rack press, ever so slightly off the chest so good ROM
Bar x many
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 3
90 x 3
100 x 3
105 x 1
110 x 1
115 x 1
120 x 1 PB for this press
122.5 x F... 4 inches off chest

JM press 4 x 10

Strict Press 4 x 5 @ 60kg

Seated row 4 x 8 @ 80kg

Air bike 3 x 20 reps
Plank 3 x 40 secs

Good session, lasted around an hour. New PB with rack press which in fact equals my PB on standard bench. The fact that rack pressing removes the eccentric contraction and uses no elastic energy leads me to believe that if I was standard benching I would have a new PB... Who knows though, I'm leaving that test another two weeks.

Not sure how I feel about the tricep work before strict pressing, next week I might swap them around so that I'm able to press more overhead then do the low intensity tricep stuff afterwards, before the rows. I understand triceps are key for a big bench but surely overhead pressing helps too??

Will sleep well tonight that's for sure
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)26-01-2011 @ 19:50 
Wiegieboard said:Deep front squats are f**king brilliant. Brutal core exercise too!

Definitely... Not huge weights but my core has been delicate the past two days! The numbers will go up soon enough
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)25-01-2011 @ 01:20 
Monday 24th january... Max effort lower day

Changed from last week, put good mornings first as that's what I see recommended for 70 percent of ME lower days. Will stick with this for a 3 week mesocycle as per the Westside template

Good mornings : new to these, found technique difficult and will post a video for critique soon
warm up with bar x many
30kg x 5
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 3
75 x 3
80 x 3
80 x 1
85 x 1
85 x 1 a struggle, but they must have done my posterior chain some good

Front squats, no belt, very deep
5 x 5 @ 75kg

Back extension 3 x 10

Weighted crunch 3 x 12
Knee ins 3 x 12

Reverse barbell curls and plate holds for grip/forearm work

OK session, front squats were enjoyable. First time in years so I feel the weight on this can go up and they'll provide some valuable assistance to other lifts. Good mornings were boring, unsure as to my technique and indeed with how heavy to go. Hard to feel anything working with them too, is knee bending allowed?

Not the ideal ME lower day but my hams are sore from sprinting so though I'd put off SLDL until DE lower day and use the front squats instead for 3 weeks.
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)23-01-2011 @ 20:19 
Dynamic effort bench day - first time

Pretty into this session as it was the last one of my first week of Westside.

Speed bench done very explosively (working with Westside %)
Warm ups
8 x 3 @ 62.5kg

Rack lockouts (6") (first time doing these so guessed at weight)
4 x 5 @ 150kg

Pull ups (failure set each time, disappointing as I did 14 three weeks ago)
10, 5, 5, 5

Lateral raise
4 x 10 @ 12kg

Pissed around at the end with one-handed deadlifts, did 95kg - testing my grip I suppose

Enjoyable sess tonight, not too long and felt good to complete my first Westside week. True to Westside, I won't be maxing out on the big 3 for a while but I like this system of training... It allows me to perform my cardio on non-gym days, my core gets worked directly mon-wed-fri via different ab circuits and there is such variety I can't see it becoming monotonous. May up the weight on speed days in the future but this week was always going to be a bit of an experiment. Felt nice to be locking out 150 for reps, off the pins and for 6 inches, not just 5 cm lockouts or something similar.

Going to add a couple of tweaks to this weeks training, changing ME squat day for one (tomorrow). I'd also like to add push press in somewhere, maybe instead of strict press on ME bench day... Any suggestions on that are welcome.
» Powerlifting bands - where to start? (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 22:07 
IainKendrick said:Don't sweat it. You need to learn to get stronger just doing the main lifts without any addition of bands ete etc.

Cheers that's probably good advice in the long run... Guilty of looking way ahead, too soon. Already obsessed with maximising my lifts though which is definitely a result of spending time on Sugden
» Powerlifting bands - where to start? (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 21:56 
Looking to buy some bands off the internet. Haven't a clue where to start really, what with the different thickness, length and width of them all. Hopefully somebody can help me out

Just starting off with powerlifting really so I guess I'd want weaker ones, or perhaps not? Would a couple suffice or am I better buying a set of different bands for more cash but better long term usage? Do people use the same bands for bench as they do for squats or are the different lengths for different lifts?

Bit of a newbie post but needing the suggestions, thanks guys
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 19:16 
richiebevan said:nice dynamic session mate.

Thanks Richie

It's a tough one this, just starting out with powerlifting but lifting very light loads. I'm going to stick with the 'dynamic days' and resist the urge to go heavy every session as I want to develop my explosive power anyway, plus, the more I read about Westside the more into it I become. If that means waiting 3 or 4 weeks to have a crack at a 1RM then so be it. Can't wait to post some PBs on here though!
» Heavy tyre wanted (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 15:41 
Cheers buddy, wouldn't have had the slightest where to start!!
» Heavy tyre wanted (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 14:24 
Just North of Lincoln. I'll have a potter around google and look for tyre yards in my local area, I suppose that's my best bet
» Heavy tyre wanted (Go to post)22-01-2011 @ 14:12 
Fairly new to this site and come the spring I'd like to get hold of a heavy tyre for some strength conditioning work. I have other heavy items like a big old grass roller that takes some shifting and other bits but a tyre is very much desired

Any ideas where I could go and indeed what sort of size I should be looking for? I'm guessing they can be picked up pretty cheap as I can't see much use for big old battered tyres?

Grateful for suggestions, Tim
» shutter islandish films (Go to post)21-01-2011 @ 21:30 
BigKen said:One film you must see is Inception... absolutely brilliant film!!

Concur
» shutter islandish films (Go to post)21-01-2011 @ 21:12 
Watched Mesrine Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 this week starring Vincent Cassel.... Both outstanding films and worth buying, check out the trailers/reviews. Yet to see Shutter Island, perhaps one for a cheeky Amazon buy
» Stiff-legged/Straight-legged Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift? (Go to post)21-01-2011 @ 19:47 
This is all pretty informative stuff, I suppose it's like anything.. people have their own ways of dong things and certain methods work for certain people.

I've read a lot regarding the difference between stiff-legged and romanian, most commonly it appears that romanians have a slight knee bend and you push your hips backwards keeping the bar close to your body, punting your hips forwards once feeling a good stretch in your hams. Stiff-legged also have a slight knee bend but you lower the weight by bending your back slightly and the weight travels further toward the floor than with romanians. (This difference is miniscule really isn't it?)

I started the thread to see if, from experienced heavy lifters, either was more suited to my 'big lifts' assistance but i'll perform both weekly to reap the benefits. The interest generated is useful as so many of you guys use these lifts!
» Tim's journal - General athlete with powerlifting aspirations (Go to post)21-01-2011 @ 19:27 
Post Edited: 21.01.2011 @ 19:33 PM by Gaston87
Friday 21st Jan - Dynamic effort squat day

First time doing this, as stated earlir it's my first week of Westside

Explosive below parallel box squat
10 x 2 @ 65kg

Speed deadlift (with the weight prescribed it's needless to say that they were easy, but i'm giving Westside a chance on this one)
6 x 1 @ 105kg (DOH grip to work on grip strength)

Strict romanian deadlift - straight back (felt great)
4 x 5 @ 65kg

Barbell shrugs (DOH grip)
4 x 8 @ 100kg

Hammer Curls (A little assistance work that's all)
3 x 10 @ 15kg

Plank 3 x 30 secs
Reverse crunch 3 x 12
Side bends 2 x 10 each side

Enjoyable session as I like lifting explosively. Followed the Westside template to a tee but felt I had a lot more in me with the squat and dead... Might alter the percentages used for those next week although they do say speed is of the essence with 'dynamic days'.

Despite being just 3 workouts into it, i've taken a liking to the Westside method. It also allows me to do other things on my non-iron days such as sprinting or rowing, both of which are hardly detrimental to this programme, at least in my opinion.

You are here: HomeForumGaston87 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions