You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitstrength peak

strength peak

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

stainlessIconstrength peak14-06-2010 @ 07:49 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Leaving aside any skill or technique related factors,what are your thoughts on when you think strength peaks in absolute terms?
That is to say:
1/At what age do you think most people reach their peak strength?
2/When do you expect yours to peak at?
3/If you've already peaked,at what age did it happen?
Since i'm asking,mine definately peaked at 41.
andydanjoshIcon...14-06-2010 @ 08:29 
^^ thats me that is !! ^^ (the hair is a wig)
Member 776, 8709 posts
SQ 140, BP 127.5, DL 180
447.5 kgs @ 74kgs UnEq
i am 47 this year and have not peaked
as i still get PB.s all the time but
this may stop any time so i just get on
with it .

Happy
JoniIcon...14-06-2010 @ 10:19 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
i'm sure there is a science in it, but that probably has been mainly studied among weightlifters who started young.

I started late, so i am hoping i can continue to improve (slowly) many more years still. Am 36 at the moment.

I draw inspiration from guys like Mark felix & westaby who are old timers but mixing with the top guys Grin
SteveIcon...14-06-2010 @ 10:58 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
I think it varies between the sports.

You don't see many top weightlifters improving much past their early thirties, whilst it's not uncommon for powerlifters to still be improving and even winning World Championships in their late forties and sometimes into their early fifties.
Tom_MartinIcon...14-06-2010 @ 12:31 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:I think it varies between the sports.

You don't see many top weightlifters improving much past their early thirties, whilst it's not uncommon for powerlifters to still be improving and even winning World Championships in their late forties and sometimes into their early fifties.

I'm going to be a bas***d and suggest that maybe powerlifters aren't getting stronger into their 50's, but equipment is getting better. Perhaps if the same powerlifter had todays equipment when he was in his 30's, he may have hit his peak strength then? This would suggest the drop off in strength from when you hit your peak has been slower than the technological advancements made to equipment. I think this is entirely possible, but I'm not sure what I personally believe. Maybe it's been the case for some and not others, I don't know.
ed209Icon...14-06-2010 @ 12:45 
Member 468, 90 posts
SQ 150, BP 60, DL 150
360.0 kgs @ 360kgs Eq
not sure but im 30 and i have made some great gains and feel way stronger since i turned 30.plan to do this till im 40 so will see how it goes
ed209Icon...14-06-2010 @ 12:45 
Member 468, 90 posts
SQ 150, BP 60, DL 150
360.0 kgs @ 360kgs Eq
not sure but im 30 and i have made some great gains and feel way stronger since i turned 30.plan to do this till im 40 so will see how it goes
ThingIcon...14-06-2010 @ 13:16 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
i'm 31 been injured but hope to beat all my pB's i have set in my 30's so i think its a complete individual things and depends on what you want to achieve too.
DanIcon...14-06-2010 @ 13:40 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
I started lifting "heavy" quite late in life, around 38, after years of light training.
Now 42 and I don't see myself reaching my absolute limits for some time and hope to steadily improve over the coming years.

Logic would suggest that natural strength would decrease as the bodies testosterone production reduces with age, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I look at Fat Pete for inspiration, still improving well into his fifties.
SteveIcon...14-06-2010 @ 13:45 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Tom_Martin said:
I'm going to be a bas***d and suggest that maybe powerlifters aren't getting stronger into their 50's, but equipment is getting better. Perhaps if the same powerlifter had todays equipment when he was in his 30's, he may have hit his peak strength then? This would suggest the drop off in strength from when you hit your peak has been slower than the technological advancements made to equipment. I think this is entirely possible, but I'm not sure what I personally believe. Maybe it's been the case for some and not others, I don't know.

The have certainly been many powerlifters who have won World Championships into their mid to late forties well before modern equipment, including Ron Collins who last won the Worlds at something like 44.

Maybe top lifters aren't getting strongber, but they are certainly managing to maintaining their strength levels. Brad Gillingham for example has continued to improved his deadlift (a lift not particularly aided by kit) into his mid forties and is still pulling virtually 400kg and what about Dave Ricks who at over fifty years old is lifting 300kg, 202.5kg, 327.5kg at 90kg UNEQUIPPED.
Tom_MartinIcon...14-06-2010 @ 14:13 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:
The have certainly been many powerlifters who have won World Championships into their mid to late forties well before modern equipment, including Ron Collins who last won the Worlds at something like 44.
Maybe top lifters aren't getting strongber, but they are certainly managing to maintaining their strength levels. Brad Gillingham for example has continued to improved his deadlift (a lift not particularly aided by kit) into his mid forties and is still pulling virtually 400kg and what about Dave Ricks who at over fifty years old is lifting 300kg, 202.5kg, 327.5kg at 90kg UNEQUIPPED.

Some very impressive examples! I'd be curious as to what age they started training at, as I think that would be vital to make any kind of assessment. Someone who starts training at the age of 60 may peak in his 70's (as an extreme example) but this only reflects his training peak, and not his physiological peak in strength. I'd guess most people will hit a physiological peak in their late 30's perhaps.

BUT obviously, as I suspect may be true for at least some of the examples you gave, some peoples training and physiological peaks won't coincide, which is dependant on so many factors, such as how long they've been training, how long they've been training correctly, injuries etc etc. Someone might be plagued with injuries due to poor training choices when they should've been hitting their peak, and then would go on to get stronger past their physiological peak due to making better decisions in the gym, and making better progress because they avoid injuries etc.

So I'd agree, the examples you gave are very impressive and show that they have at the very least, maintained their strength for a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are not past their peak. I'd suggest that Dave Ricks would have performed better in his late 30's / early 40's had his training and physiological peak coincided, but obviously I can't be certain. It just seems to make sense as there is an undeniable drop off in testosterone production as you get older.
SteveIcon...14-06-2010 @ 17:38 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Tom_Martin said:
Some very impressive examples! I'd be curious as to what age they started training at, as I think that would be vital to make any kind of assessment. Someone who starts training at the age of 60 may peak in his 70's (as an extreme example) but this only reflects his training peak, and not his physiological peak in strength. I'd guess most people will hit a physiological peak in their late 30's perhaps.
BUT obviously, as I suspect may be true for at least some of the examples you gave, some peoples training and physiological peaks won't coincide, which is dependant on so many factors, such as how long they've been training, how long they've been training correctly, injuries etc etc. Someone might be plagued with injuries due to poor training choices when they should've been hitting their peak, and then would go on to get stronger past their physiological peak due to making better decisions in the gym, and making better progress because they avoid injuries etc.
So I'd agree, the examples you gave are very impressive and show that they have at the very least, maintained their strength for a long time, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are not past their peak. I'd suggest that Dave Ricks would have performed better in his late 30's / early 40's had his training and physiological peak coincided, but obviously I can't be certain. It just seems to make sense as there is an undeniable drop off in testosterone production as you get older.

Dave Rick's lifting is quite incredible and I'm sure not typical. He did his first competition back in 1981 and first became IPF World Champion back in 1991.

Brad started lifting back in 1989 and did his first IPF worlds in 1997 where and came second, winning for the first time in 2000.

What confuses the issue with powerlifters as they age is that they tend to move up the weight catergories. Dave Ricks first won the Worlds at 75kg - he now competes at 90kg so it is difficult to judge how his strength has changed. He has certainly got stronger in his "old age", but how much of that is due to weight gains.

I would think powerlifting was pretty unique in the length of time you can stay at the top. There can't be many sports where you can be one of the best in the World for 20 years. In how many other sport do could you have somebody like Inaba Hideaki who won 17 IPF Worlds and continued winning medals at Open Worlds until 54 years old. (at age 54 he lifted 15kg more at the Worlds at the same bodyweight than he did at 30years old when he won his first Worlds - this was pre the very modern equipment and his bench was actually down 15kg)

Tom_Martin said:
It just seems to make sense as there is an undeniable drop off in testosterone production as you get older.

I wonder what effect heavy intense lifting has on this.

I agree that late thirties/early forties is probably about the optimum age if you can remain uninjured, but I suspect many lifters can then maintain that level for quite a lot longer. This seems to be in complete contrast to weightlifting and most other sports where once you get past your early thirties there is a pretty steady decline.

There have been some pretty old WSM competitors in the past. I wonder if it will become harder to compete at an old age with what seems to be an increase in the number of events against the clock
BoarIcon...14-06-2010 @ 17:45 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25579 posts
Administrator
my strength will peak at 2pm on sunday and then decline to that of a chuckle brother
lil_leeIcon...14-06-2010 @ 17:48 
anti-social, except when needs help to put suit on
Member 607, 2803 posts
Boar said:my strength will peak at 2pm on sunday and then decline to that of a chuckle brother

huge quote there borski... thats why we love u!
DanIcon...14-06-2010 @ 19:31 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Steve said:
I wonder what effect heavy intense lifting has on this.

I have read that the body increases testosterone production in response to heavy workload. Whether this is simply a transient increase or whether consistent heavy training may result in higher test levels over the long term I don't know, but someone on here probably will...

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitstrength peak
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions