Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumNutritioncorned beef

corned beef

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

When I was 10 stone and making the push for 11 stone I had 2 sympathiser friends who worked in subway and I remember them making sandwiches like this for me. They once mad me a sandwich they claimed should have cost 25 quid and it looked a little like that baby.
Still can't get over that american corned beef picture.
Proper corned beef is a beef joint (brisket is good) covered in rock salt (which used to be referred to as 'corns of salt') and then cooked in a crock pot with some stock.

It's bloody lovely and quite easy to prepare.

That s**t we get in cans over here was something knocked together during the war I think (I'm pretty sure it was a mainstay of the men's rations)
Yeah I remember it being called bully beef or something similar?
dannyboy73 said:Sick puppy you are Mr Jack.
I thought the EU had banned that stuff?
Corned beef = lovely but give one wicked wind

usually things that the EU ban are better than the things that the EU don't ban.
Jabba
Macca you're a star. I never knew how corned beef was made. I've taken a brisket out of the freezer and will start the marinating tomorrow.
JackRevans said:
usually things that the EU ban are better than the things that the EU don't ban.

Had a right good laugh at this hahhaaa. Something so true has never been said by someone so young. This, brother; is why I will one day welcome you into my home and feed you real corned beef and mead.
Everybody tells me Michael Ruhlmann is the man for all things charcuterie - he literally wrote the book - and his recipe is here: http://leitesculinaria.com/5912/recipes-homemade-corned-beef.h...
Jabba
I'm cheating, I'm using shop bought pickling spices. Other than that, I'm using that recipe.
Jabba
Post Edited: 16.12.2013 @ 18:10 PM by Jabba
Just sliced mine and it's incredible. Next time I'll leave the pickling spices out of the cooking phase but other than that it's terrific.

Thanks Macca & Rick
I wish I had more fridge space
Jabba
Drew, I only did 1 kg and I put it in a tupperware container. I took up the same space as a small sandwich box.
I share my fridge with my lass and our flat mate so its pretty full at the best of times. I might try it over xmas whilst people are away and im working
Jabba
drew said:I share my fridge with my lass and our flat mate so its pretty full at the best of times.

Eat their food, end of problem.
dannyboy73
Cant argue with that
JackRevans said:
All variations are various degrees of good! Tinned to the proper stuff Happy

You are here: HomeForumNutritioncorned beef
Return to top View Desktop Site