Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSeasonal mood disorders.

Seasonal mood disorders.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Post Edited: 18.09.2013 @ 09:36 AM by Wiegieboard
Anyone ever get this?
I don't think I ever have before but the change in the weather or rather the prospect of it is killing me right now. Its thethought of those early nights but not only that. II'm in charge of one of the councils gyms and its soul destroying. Whilst I'm in apHreciation of the money it brings and of the peaceful nature the job brings, its boring as a motherf**ker. Its not the facility I'd choose to train in and is very shiny, in fact I'm commended as running the cleanest and most operational gym of all our 30 odd gyms and there has been talk of elevating me higher again but its just not as great as it sounds.
I want to run my own facility and I want to take the profit or lack of through my own hard work. Ill never make the kind of money needed to open my own facility by worki g for someone else. I know that a few of you guys are smart motherf**kers who have the knowhow to achieve my dream.

Any advice on specific qualifications and skills or even advice in general would be awesome to hear.
ive always respected the word of knowledgable people.

PS. Sorry for the sloppy writing. new touchscreen phone.
fatter_tomorrow
do some research, get a bussiness plan together, go to the bank then dive in the deep end. if it works out then you've achieved your dream, if not you gave it 100%. If you don't try it then you'll never know and will regret it, also f**k working your ass off for other people and getting f**k all in return while they sit pretty.
As someone who is self employed all I will say the grass is not always greener - its bloody tough but if you get it right the rewards are high. For me i'm looking at going back employed!
Thanks folks.
Oxman best of luck. A year ago my goal was to get employed. I then found employment in a low end position. My year goal was to rise out of the position I was in to a gym position. In a half year I managed to achieve a little better by being given a position of turning a failing facility around and now we have just won the award for highest percentage sales increase as well as best maintained facility which is inclusive of the brand new commonwealth arenas.
I know how to change and refurbish a facility to bring about success but the thing I worry about for my own facility would be the amount of stupid law we have in place that bankrupts and ends small business owners. anyone got any experience of opening a brand new facility who wants to share any knowledge they wish they had when they were starting out?
i took th eleap and went self employed and havent looked back. best thing i have done for me and my family.

oh and take plenty Vit D and Vit K for the S.A.D!!!
dr_hazbun
You sound like an ambitious chap.

However, you do seem to be in your current employer's good books. Why not see how far up middle management you can get. Boring to some but stable and secure.
Post Edited: 18.09.2013 @ 13:09 PM by JohnGym
Wiegieboard said:Thanks folks.
Oxman best of luck. A year ago my goal was to get employed. I then found employment in a low end position. My year goal was to rise out of the position I was in to a gym position. In a half year I managed to achieve a little better by being given a position of turning a failing facility around and now we have just won the award for highest percentage sales increase as well as best maintained facility which is inclusive of the brand new commonwealth arenas.
I know how to change and refurbish a facility to bring about success but the thing I worry about for my own facility would be the amount of stupid law we have in place that bankrupts and ends small business owners. anyone got any experience of opening a brand new facility who wants to share any knowledge they wish they had when they were starting out?

Unless you are a niche product such as a Crossfit Box, Martial Arts gym or Strongman facility, you will get swept away when larger companies move into town next to you.

The UK budget Health and Fitness Sector is the fastest growing in Europe. The Gym Group and Pure Gym will open around 80 gyms between them next year. Don't try to to compete unless you have a niche.

The amount of gyms I personally know of who have had to close because one of the major players has moved to town is staggering.
The time to create your own commercial gym is gone.
adillon10
Give this a listen...

http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/open-your-own-sc-facility-now/

I found it pretty useful as I too would love to open my own training facility, just shows it can actually be done!
JohnGym said:
Unless you are a niche product such as a Crossfit Box, Martial Arts gym or Strongman facility, you will get swept away when larger companies move into town next to you.
The UK budget Health and Fitness Sector is the fastest growing in Europe. The Gym Group and Pure Gym will open around 80 gyms between them next year. Don't try to to compete unless you have a niche.
The amount of gyms I personally know of who have had to close because one of the major players has moved to town is staggering.

unless you live ruraly an on in big towns or cities
fatter_tomorrow
JohnGym said:

I totally disagree John, we openned up a facility less than a mile away from a big pure gym and the amount of custom weve taken off them has been unreal. were not a niche just a good commercial gym with heavy dumbbells, alot of plate weights and quality machines.
I do get depressed when it's cold, but if i'm also in a certain location as it brings back memories. Surely that's just reminiscing?
MrSmall
Post Edited: 18.09.2013 @ 14:04 PM by MrSmall
dr_hazbun said:You sound like an ambitious chap.

However, you do seem to be in your current employer's good books. Why not see how far up middle management you can get. Boring to some but stable and secure.

seconded

save that wonga

make that paper

build up on the side
fatter_tomorrow said:
I totally disagree John, we openned up a facility less than a mile away from a big pure gym and the amount of custom weve taken off them has been unreal. were not a niche just a good commercial gym with heavy dumbbells, alot of plate weights and quality machines.

One of the lucky ones. Long may it continue.
What location is that out of interest?
MrSmall said:
seconded
save that wonga
make that paper
build up on the side

This.

A decent GM in the fitness industry earns between 30-60k per year. Go after that and build up some savings on the way.
dr_hazbun said:You sound like an ambitious chap.

do this but save on the side.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSeasonal mood disorders.
Return to top View Desktop Site