REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 156 guests

Pain relief for tendinitis

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DNokaIconPain relief for tendinitis18-05-2015 @ 23:00 
Member 5761, 20 posts
SQ 150, BP 130, DL 250
530.0 kgs @ 87kgs UnEq
I have very poor flexibility in my shoulders and really struggle to get a good close hand position under the bar (which we are working on) which when i go maximal on squats is putting a lot of stress on my wrists and forearms to the point that ive had to start using a thumbless grip, i.e thumb over the top of the bar not around it.

Anyway i'll either train through it or eventually get flexible enough for the problem to clear but in the meantime does anyone have any pain management tips? I have a lifetime ban on anti inflammatories because of my stomach so not an option. Currently sat here stinking of olbas oil lol which to be fair feels like it might be helping but i just wanted to see if any of you had any magic voodoo tips that would help. I can deal with the shoulder pain but the forearms and wrists are becoming a bit of an issue now truth be told.

Thanks
McMuffin_GainsIcon...18-05-2015 @ 23:59 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Post Edited: 19.05.2015 @ 00:22 AM by McMuffin_Gains
I feel your pain,

I suffered for ages with all the above due to poor shoulder flexibility and it mostly effected my elbows, which in turn made pressing painful.

As of yesterday I can perform 'shoulder dislocations' with near enough full range of motion, not so long back I couldn't get past vertical. - check my journal, I was that buzzed about it I posted a video!

Here's what has worked for me:

- Always wear wrist wraps for heavier squatting, helps to support the wrist (obviously)

- Invest in some quality, neoprene elbow sleeves, they will keep the joint warm and significantly reduce pain in the workout, I purchased and recommend SBD sleeves SBD Sleeves OR Cheap alternative

- Lay off any over head work for a few weeks, your gains won't just vanish and it will provide you the opportunity to...

- Really go to town on shoulder mobility. 2 - 3 times a week I would spend a good hour in the gym on mobility. I used a strong latex band to stretch the shoulders, one at a time in all planes of motion, external and internal rotation. I would do this and then use my lacrosse ball, against a wall to really dig in to the tissue, front, back and side of the shoulder. It also helped to do this on my chest and upper back to really free the tissue up. Then I would do some more band stretching and perform shoulder dislocations with a very light bar, trying to get further round each time. Simply repeated over and over for about an hour.

- Get a block of sports massages for 4 - 5 weeks and have them really work on your shoulders and tissues that effect the flexibility. It is costly and unpleasant but if you are serious about relieving the issue then it may just prove beneficial.

- If elbows are painful like mine were, try Kelly Starrets flossing method, I used the same latex band that I have been using to stretch. Example here

- Apply as much as you can/want now and in the intermediate period, I found that simply walking the bar out with a super wide grip and counting for ten then racking it, adjusting grip inwards and then walking out counting for ten etc etc until in the desired position helped a lot.

I also used no NSAIDS at all. Ibuprofen causes premature death don't you know Grin

Hope some of that may be useful for you

Also check out THIS ARTICLE by Vanilla Gorilla, it has some really useful info.

EDIT to say:

If it is specifically your wrists/forearms that are in pain and you believe it actually is tendinitis then don't piss it off more until you've reduced the pain. I had major wrist tendonitis years ago and it sucked ass bigtime. If your forearms and wrists are clicking and popping like mine were you need to dial down the intensity on the aggravating factors.

Icing, despite it's effectiveness been subject to debate did wonders for me. I got a bucket and filled it with ice water. Submerged both arms up to the elbow for 5 minutes then repeated with fresh icewater every 15 - 20 minutes. Do this on an evening at home, get 3 - 4 lots of icing done. If consistent you should start to notice a significant reduction in pain and eventually symptoms. I would still recommend this even if it isn't proper full on tendinitis.
DNokaIcon...19-05-2015 @ 07:44 
Member 5761, 20 posts
SQ 150, BP 130, DL 250
530.0 kgs @ 87kgs UnEq
Boom, What a reply!
That sounds like a lot of good info, thank you. Not sure how I feel about girly wrist wraps but I can see the logic lol.

Cheers pal, very concise. Appreciate the help Happy
AMH_PowerIcon...05-06-2015 @ 21:22 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Excellent advice for anyone...should be a sticky post!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions