Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsLong Term Target 2

Long Term Target 2

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

I think that I said the same thing last year, organising and competing in the same competition is not good.

So, expanding on what I said last night.
I weighed in at about 11:30AM on Sunday at 109.15 Kilos (not 109.8). Very good, now I have got to keep the weight off until the Brit U/E in 7 weeks.

As I had trained all week I was determined to take this as just an opportunity for a good workout as part of my normal training schedule so I went for relatively comfortable openers.

Squat.
Warmed up as I would in training with reps up to 160.
165. 3 Whites. Good and deep but felt really heavy.
175. 3 Whites. Good and deep but it I struggled to get it out of the hole.
180. 3 Whites. Felt easier but I did not go as deep as normal and was convinced it would be failed, however people tell me that it was still well under.
Very happy with this, in fact I would have been happy with 175!

Bench.
Very painful left elbow in warming up (even more painful as I type), Big Dave gave me a squeeze of his Ralgex to try and stem the shooting pains. Warmed up with lots of reps up to 110K in fact I think that I did 5 paused 110's in the warm up room.
110. 2 whites. Left judge thought I lifted my foot, I did'nt.
115. 2 whites. I was asked to re-rack the bar after taking it out and told to ensure that my feet were flat on the floor, they were. I bench in my deadlift shoes which have got rounded heels on them, I guess that this gives the impression of the heel being off the floor. Changed to my squat boot with the flat heels.
120. 3 Whites.
Happy with this, I think that the heel issue has also answered a few questions from recent competitions with respect to red lights. I'll be benching in my squat boots from now on.

DeadLift.
Warmed up with lots of reps to 185.
200. 3 Whites. Easy.
210. 3 Whites. Tougher.
217.5. 3 Reds. The bar was coming up nicely but it just seemed to slip from my hands about half way up.

Total 510.
So the squat was just 5K below my best. I equalled my comp PB on the bench, I just missed equalling my deadlift PB and beating my comp total PB.

I'm fairly happy with that. I will be looking for 190 / 125 / 220 = 535 at the Brits.

It was also good to see a lot of the guys that post on here, some came and had a chat, others just got on with what they came to do. We finally got out of the building at 9 last night, a long but enjoyable weekend.
well done Finch, thats a great result especially considering how much weight you lost in the run up!
Apologies for my no show I am a t**t and was under the impression it was next week!
Shame you could'nt make it Ed, especially as I had told everyone you were coming down to help out with the spotting..........

Monday 24th August.

Celebrated the weight loss with chip butties today. I was going to take a day off but thought I felt fine so I went to the Farm for a light workout. Just Pete the chair and Blondie were training, they spent the last two days spotting and loading so they must love the place as much as me?????

Kev & Petit Pierre were taking the weights back up to Brum so I was the only other person in attendance.

Weighed in at 111.75 Kilos, whoops.

Front Squats.
5 x 20
5 x 30
5 x 40
5 x 50
5 x 60
3 x 70
3 x 80
3 x 90
3 x 100
1 x 110
1 x 120
1 x 130
1 x 140 Failed, this came down well but then buried me.

I tried a bit of light benching but the inside of the left elbow is very sore and tender today. After an hour in the gym I felt really sore & tired so I called it a day and went home. Back to normal on Wednesday.
Still got aches and pains after the weekend so another easy session tonight, lots of clean & Jerks up to 75K's. The elbow is still sore so no benching.
Lots of stretching.
Weighed in at 113.8K
Smashed the front window screen on the car tonight with Bryn Evans Scoreboard. It's a long story.......................................Still got aches and pains after the wekend so another easy session tonight, lots of clean & Jerks up to 75K's. The elbow is still sore so no benching.
Lots of stretching.
Weighed in at 113.8K
Smashed the front window screen on the car tonight with Bryn Evans Scoreboard. It's a long story.......................................Well pissed off now.
The training starts with a vengance again next Monday.
Unhappy
£70 excess for a new car windscreen. I'm such a tw*t.

Friday 28th August.

Training back to normal today. Weighed in at 113.1 kilos.
Squating with the banker and Kevin. Benching with Blondie and Paul.

Squat.
5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 110
3 x 130
2 x 150
1 x 160
1 x 170
3 x 145
5 x 130
Not a lot of volume, that will come over the next few weeks, pleased the 170 came up.

Bench.
10 x 20
8 x 40
6 x 60
4 x 80
2 x 100
1 x 110
2 x 100
4 x 80
4 x 10 x 70 Close Grip.
Very painful. The right arm suffers from shooting pains from my elbow to my wrist with every lockout above 40k's. Any ideas?

Booked my room at the Holiday Inn Express in Poole for the Brits tonight. Anybody else staying there?
Monday 31st August.
40 days to the Brits.
Weighed in at 113.9 Kilos, not bad for a Monday.

Nine of us turned out on a bank holiday including Lurkio, back from his vacation in Daventry, no Kevin tonight though, he's off at his holiday home in Norton.

Deadlifts with the Banker and benching with Lurkio, Big Dave and the Banker.

Deadlift.
5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 110
3 x 140
3 x 160
2 x 180
2 x 200 Failed to shift the bar.
1 x 200 should have been two.
2 x 190
3 x 170
5 x 155
Dissapointed with the 200's, the problem would appear to be all in my head as the 190's flew up.

Bench.
10 x 40
8 x 60
6 x 80
4 x 90
2 x 100
1 x 110
1 x 115
2 x 105
4 x 95
6 x 85
10 x 75 Close Grip.
No problems but the shooting pain from my left elbow is seriously bad. I had a word with our resident physio tonight and after much prodding he tells me that the injury is "just" soft tissue damage, however he also tells me that I have other un-related problems re my back and shoulder and that I should book a full session at £45. Having never been to physio before is that good bad or average?
dr_hazbun
Finch said:
I should book a full session at £45. Having never been to physio before is that good bad or average?

about average.

I get charged £35 at mate's rates.

I'm lazy about going though. only been about 5 times in the last 10 months or so despite the injury I've had.
Cheers Sam.
Wednesday 2nd September.

Did an hour in the poncy gym yesterday, 15 mins on cross trainer, 20 mins on bike and 20 mins on the running machine. Then I went for a quick swim. I've now been a member of said poncy gym for 4 weeks and as yet I have not used any of the "strength" machines or weights, despite the fact that I am sorely tempted. Why? Because the place is literally full of to**ers in vests and gloves doing sets of three on the bench with 50k, or curling 20k dumbells. They generally have a towell round their necks and those that are not wearing "baggy" gym pants have legs like matchsticks. Am I alone in seriously despising these people? I just do not want to be asociated with them.

However, as a result of all this CV work, my weight tonight was down to 112.5K. Very pleased, I do not normally get down to this until three days before a competition.

Squatting with the Banker (new 235K squat PB tonight, well done Steve) and benching with Kev (back from his vacation in Norton), Banker, Petit Pierre and Big Dave. No Malc again tonight, I hope that I did not upset him with my barbed wit on Monday.

Squat.
5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 110
3 x 135
2 x 155
1 x 165
1 x 175
3 x 150
5 x 135
Satisfied. Everything was deep enough but the form was sometimes off, especially on the 175 which I practically good morninged up.

Bench.
10 x 40
8 x 60
6 x 80
4 x 100
2 x 110
1 x 117.5 Failed, stalled at about 4" off the chest.
1 x 112.5
2 x 105
4 x 95
I cut the session short here as the right elbow is still a big problem and the pain was getting worse. I might have to stop benching for a few weeks to see if it improves any.

38 days to the Brits.

Just heard - Madness - Birmingham - December 10th. Wooooohooooo.
Do close grips hurt the elbow as well?

What ever happened to the Farm front squat competition?
EDCLARKE said:
Do close grips hurt the elbow as well?

What ever happened to the Farm front squat competition?

1). Every bit as much.
2). Dennis - 190K. The rest of us just gave up.
i see your point!
I shall (hopefully) be back at The Farm on Friday mate, didn't finish work untill after 8pm.Happy
Ed, I should have said that Dennis doubled the 190 using no wraps or belt and could probably go higher if he wanted to. Dennis is made up at the moment, he has been selected to represent GB for the first time in Sweden later this year.

Working until 8 Malc, that has to be good business then.
Friday 4th.

Weighed in at 111.5 kilos - Yessssssss and that was after a MuckDonalds breakfast and fish n chips for lunch. All the cross trainer, cycling and running work at the poncy gym is starting to pay dividends.

Decided to give the left elbow a chance to heal, so no benching tonight, just deadlifts with the banker (who incidently managed a 290K unequipped deadlift PB tonight) who is aiming for a 700K total at the Brit u/e in 5 weeks.

Deadlift.
5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 110
3 x 140
2 x 160
2 x 180
2 x 1 x 200 Disapointing, should have been 2 x 200.
2 x 190
2 x 180
2 x 3 x 170
5 x 170
5 x 160
Pleased with the volume, 26 pulls of 160 or more in under half an hour, however very disapointed to not manage the 200 double, especially as the 190 felt so easy.

36 days to the Brits.

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsLong Term Target 2
Return to top View Desktop Site