REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 240 guests
You are here: HomeForumJayMcLaughlin → View All Posts

View All Posts: JayMcLaughlin

» Best Athlete (Go to post)28-04-2014 @ 23:09 
Samthepigman said:
You have different weighted athletes in lots of sports, like boxing for example, people compare the greatness of say, mike tyson and manny pacquiao, whos the better "boxer?" its not just about who would beat the other person in a straight fight / competition

The comparison with boxing is flawed.

Boxing is mano-a-mano. Fans of boxing value the skills and power of a boxer to defeat an opponent of a similar size. For that reason, bodyweight is less relevant.

Strongman is a battle between yourself and the weights. Other strongmen competitors have very little influence over your performance. Very different to boxing.

Reducing the weights to accommodate smaller, weaker guys is a hard sell to convince anyone the smaller, weaker guy is the 'best'Happy
» Worlds strongest man (Go to post)02-04-2014 @ 08:57 
[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2m62x5z.png[/IMG]Shaw
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/fyjtb6.png[/IMG]Z
» Worlds strongest man (Go to post)29-03-2014 @ 13:44 

The loading event looks poor.

Too much running between objects - it's strongman not a foot race. Almost half the event is done empty handed.

The platforms are too small - it's strongman not 'strongman' jenga. If the guys are wasting time trying to balance objects then you're testing dexterity not strength.
» Worlds strongest man (Go to post)28-03-2014 @ 16:56 
Re. the addition of 2 more finalist making 12.

If you compare the times/reps where the competitors that done the same event, you can get an idea of how they would have performed if they went head to head.

*** Based on the spreadsheet data.

1st Graham Hicks – 39.02 seconds
2nd Mark Felix – 45.77 seconds
3rd Warrick Brant – 59 seconds

Truck pull

1st Mark Felix – 42.88 seconds
2nd Warrick Brant – 43.4 seconds

Fingals fingers

1st David Ostlund – 5 in 36.77 seconds
2nd Graham Hicks – 3 in 25.94 seconds

Deadlift

1st Mark Felix – 6 reps/29.05 seconds
2nd Graham Hicks – 5 reps
3rd David Ostlund – 4 reps/21.64 seconds

Yoke

1st Mark Felix – 25.8 seconds
2nd Warrick Brant – 27.09 seconds

Car Walk

1st David Ostlund – 34 seconds
2nd Graham Hicks - 35,44

Viking press

1st Mark Felix – 7 reps
2nd David Ostlund - 6 reps

Log press

1st Graham Hicks - 6
2nd Warrick Brant – 5

Stones

1st David Ostlund - 5 in 32.05
2nd Mark Felix - 5 in 34.91
3rd Warrick Brant - 5 in 42,25
4th Graham Hicks - 4

Summary

Hicks 2 V Brant 1 ** Winner Hicks **
Hicks 1 V Ostlund 3 ** Winner Ostlund **

Felix 4 v Brant 0 ** Winner Felix **
Felix 2 V Ostlund 1 ** Winner Felix **
Felix 2 V Hicks 1 ** Winner Felix **
» Worlds strongest man (Go to post)23-03-2014 @ 18:30 

shaw vs thor stones

Throw Z into the mix now the platforms are lower.
It often comes down to the last event (Stones) for the win, the new platform heights(if official?) could be massive for Z.
» BSM UPDATES (Go to post)15-03-2014 @ 15:13 
PaulSavage said:Surprised with loz on the duck walk. Be interesting to see if his power is down with the weight loss or that was a bad event.

Chunky thighs = great for squatting but a hindrance in duck walk
» Bolton is back (Go to post)04-03-2014 @ 11:43 
JC said:
The fact that Felix can beat guys pulling 30-40KG more than him on DL for reps would imply he's an absolutely fantastic puller for reps
He beat Z (a 440 puller) at WSM 2013 on DL for reps

Not a great comparison.

440 was on a regular bar - WSM 2013 car deadlift.
Felix went after Z, so had a target to beat.
It was the heats, the top guys hold back a fair amount for the final.
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)03-03-2014 @ 12:47 
terryhollands said:
Everytime they change weight which happens most years and someone lifts it itd be a wr. I personally just dont think there needs to be a change to the current format. Strongman is about testing everything so if someone place 2nd on every event I think they deserve to win more than someone that wins 4 and places 7th on the other

I hear you
Happy

But if you look over at the other thread much of the debate post-contest relates to judging which is often subjective.

I've seen 1st hand how crude the timing is at contests.
Fractions of a second can have disproportional effect on the result of a contest when a positional points system is used.

Strongman is far more analogous to athletics(decathlon) than the Eurovision song contest Happy
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)03-03-2014 @ 12:35 
MarkClegg said:Truth -
And thats going back to the standardized equipment like IFSA had..

That just didn`t work

I disagree - Many (if not most) contests now use an IFSA spec log. It made it easy to provide a drawing to a fabricator and get a log made.

Inconsistency only favoured home advantage for the guys that trained with the wonky efforts produced before.
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)03-03-2014 @ 12:22 
... But specifically (as per the question) at the Arnold.

Perhaps more so than others, this contest lends itself to Arnold strongman classic 'World records'
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)03-03-2014 @ 12:03 
Thanks for the feedback guys.

To those that think the thread is another 'big willy' debate between Z and Shaw - it's boringHappy, I can only reiterate what I wrote earlier
I said:The question is posed without athlete bias.

Would anyone like to see bonus point(s) for a successful world record attempt? and how many additional points?

It's a very simple way to ramp up the drama and reward the exceptional performances.
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)02-03-2014 @ 12:16 
In answer to those that say BUT Z WON!

True, but if you hosestly believe that if Z had been buzzed out on his 4th rep of the dumbell and made Shaw the winner .....

Would the current points system have really have found the 'strongest' man at this show?
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)02-03-2014 @ 12:10 
The question is posed without athlete bias.

Strongman is a multi disciplined sport, similar to decathlon in athletics.

Anyone familiar with athletics knows that each event is given points based on performance in that event, irrespective of placing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

What does that mean in real terms?

An athlete can have a sub par performance in one event yet claw his way to the top with exceptional performances in others.

It keeps everyone in the mix until the very last event.
» Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)? (Go to post)02-03-2014 @ 11:07 
Given that Big Z almost lost, yet displayed a historic level of strength.

Could the Arnold points system be improved (so the strongest always wins)?

Discuss .....
» Arnold strongman classic predictions (Go to post)02-03-2014 @ 11:02 
Fantastic! - Well done Z, Last in the alphabet 1st in strongmanHappy

Clearly the strongest but so close to losing it.

So the broader question - Could the Arnold points system be improved (to make sure the strongest always wins)? ... sounds like a new thread

You are here: HomeForumJayMcLaughlin → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions