Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosLow Bar Squat Form Check

Low Bar Squat Form Check

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Terminator said:
Why would my toes need to be out further? I always thought that the closer you could have your feet to being parallel to each other the better?

If you're going to move your feet out wider, which you should if you're doing a low-bar squat, then you need to have your feet tracking in the same line as your knees otherwise you'll run into knee problems. So for you that would mean flaring the toes out some more.

Nothing wrong with a quad dominant squat is there?

Not in itself no, but there's little point in mixing the styles. The low bar is there for you to lift more weight partly by a lower bar position and partly by a wider stance.

If you want to do a close stance then a higher bar position would better facilitate that by keeping you more upright.

Yeah, looking back at it, I need to descend slower.

I much prefer a faster descent. Most big raw and single ply squats are done relatively fast.
Fazc said:
I much prefer a faster descent. Most big raw and single ply squats are done relatively fast.

I agree when I said control I ment keeping form u can still descend quick but keep your form don't drop and drive as most people do on reps
Rico said: have a wider grip with thumbs over the bar so that the outer bit of my palm is the only part in contact with the bar.

I've seen a vid of someone breaking their arm when the bar slipped doing this though. Not saying it's gonna happen to you but won't hurt to be warned about it...
i dont grip the bar like that as it hurts my wrist i just keep the bar in position with my palm, its really secure even if it doesnt look like it! plus i agree, wider stance and toes out, i seem to think feet parallel was some bodybuilder idea to target your quads, could be wrong tho

Woolfie said:
I've seen a vid of someone breaking their arm when the bar slipped doing this though. Not saying it's gonna happen to you but won't hurt to be warned about it...

This does scare me but I've done it for so long now I think it's pretty safe if you chalk your hands and make sure its properly locked in there
Rico said:Looks good but one thing i would mention from experience is make sure your wrists don't take much (or any) of the weight or your elbows and shoulders will f**k you in about two months time. This happened to me and the solution was to have a wider grip with thumbs over the bar so that the outer bit of my palm is the only part in contact with the bar.

I did worry about this. I can't do more than 60 kg before I need to use wrist wraps... maybe I am supporting a little too much through my wrists
Shaun
Terminator said:
I did worry about this. I can't do more than 60 kg before I need to use wrist wraps... maybe I am supporting a little too much through my wrists

Yes, definitely.
Terminator said:

Serious? Yes there is definitely something wrong there
Aye, you'll begin to run into elbow problems soon if you haven't already. Definitely try and get a nice bar position without the bar being supported too much by your hands. This may involve a slightly higher bar position than you'd first consider.
Terminator said:

I went through this badly a couple of years ago, absolutely tortured my elbows. I realised, after reviewing vids, that on the way up through the sticking point I was pulling down on the bar with my elbows. I was also very stiff in the upper body so I would do lots of upper body stretches (shoulder dislocations, pec stretches, rotator cuff stretches etc) before squatting. After a few weeks of working on those, no more elbow pain.
Jabba
Nice squats, ignore the suggestion that you're squatting too low, they're fine.
i thought with low bar ur supposed to sit back more with the hips and shins shud b near vertical and high bar u push the knees forward abit more. could be wrong tho, just my understanding
DomRedshaw said:i thought with low bar ur supposed to sit back more with the hips and shins shud b near vertical and high bar u push the knees forward abit more. could be wrong tho, just my understanding

That pretty much has to happen. If you went high bar and tried to keep near vertical shins for most people that would just = folding in half
Dan_Evans
Woolfie said:

I've also seen someone brake his ankle, whilst walking. I understand where you are coming from, but s**t things can happen, whilst performing the simplest of tasks.

In my opinion, you want the 'fleshy' part of your palm against the bar. The weight wants to be on your back, and on your back alone. Some people say to lift it slightly with your hands, but that's just f**king insane. I have never had to use straps whilst squatting, as none of the weight is ever transferred onto my wrists. I actually pull the bar into my back, using my hands.

Whilst descending, I sit back a little, so that my hamstrings really get into it, which helps me lift the weight more effectively.

Either way, nicely done on the lifts.
Post Edited: 08.01.2012 @ 17:17 PM by Tassotti
Terminator said:

You are trying to stop the bar from slipping down your back in low bar position. That's why you have the wrist pain.

Shove your elbows up to create a shelf for the bar to correct this. Your hands should be on top of the bar pushing it down, not under it holding it up

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosLow Bar Squat Form Check
Return to top View Desktop Site