Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosLow Bar Squat Form Check

Low Bar Squat Form Check

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Just started doing my squat low bar. I feel a lot more powerful with these. Do I have the bar placed properly etc?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lr4MCcFhw
Looks fine
Shaun
Need to shove your knees out more. And maybe not so deep either; too deep and the knee angle becomes too acute and you lose hamstring tension.
Shaun said:And maybe not so deep either; too deep and the knee angle becomes too acute and you lose hamstring tension.

the informations are not true.
Shaun
WILLSAN said:
the informations are not true.

Yes it is.
Get your feet abit wider and toes slightly out the way your squatting now is fine but it will be very quad dominant and try to control your decent a lot more
milsy said:Get your feet abit wider and toes slightly out the way your squatting now is fine but it will be very quad dominant and try to control your decent a lot more

Why would my toes need to be out further? I always thought that the closer you could have your feet to being parallel to each other the better?

Nothing wrong with a quad dominant squat is there?

Yeah, looking back at it, I need to descend slower.
slimsim
Terminator said:Nothing wrong with a quad dominant squat is there?

Would it not affect you lifts massively, in a negative way?

Front squats are more quad dominant and most lifters back squats (even those using a high bar position) are far heavier than their fronties. Obviously, I know there are other factors such as centre of gravity, body position etc. but mechanical efficiency must be part of it.

I also thought a low bar position was used specifically to allow better/more efficient use of the hip muscles, so would you not be wasting the point of a low bar position in the first place?

Of course, I've never done a low bar squat in my life so could be talking s**te!! Happy
Can someone explain what the pros and cons are of high / lower squatting?
(Im not even sure what I do Im guessing its high bar!!)
Rodger said:Can someone explain what the pros and cons are of high / lower squatting?

x2 and where should the bar be on yer back for each?
Rodger said:Can someone explain what the pros and cons are of high / lower squatting?

A high bar squat is the default position that most people take when they start squatting, with the bar resting on the upper traps, just below the neck. Most olympic lifters use this.

The low bar squat is when you hold the bar a couple of inches lower on your back, more commonly used in powerlifting. It took me a couple of weeks to get the bar position right.

Having the bar held in the low bar position means that the weight is further down the lever that is your back (if that makes sense), and this is mechanically advantageous over the high bar squat in terms of shifting weight.

High bar means you can go a little deeper, but not use as much weight. Low bar allows more weight, and I believe targets more muscle groups.
Ta for that, might give low bar a go
slimsim said:
Would it not affect you lifts massively, in a negative way?
Front squats are more quad dominant and most lifters back squats (even those using a high bar position) are far heavier than their fronties. Obviously, I know there are other factors such as centre of gravity, body position etc. but mechanical efficiency must be part of it.
I also thought a low bar position was used specifically to allow better/more efficient use of the hip muscles, so would you not be wasting the point of a low bar position in the first place?
Of course, I've never done a low bar squat in my life so could be talking s**te!! Happy

Yeah fair enough. Having done high bar squats exclusively in the past, I guess my hips are going to be a weak link in the low bar variant.
Yeah cheers for that. tried low bar but didnt know why you use it and struggled too Unhappy
Looks good but one thing i would mention from experience is make sure your wrists don't take much (or any) of the weight or your elbows and shoulders will f**k you in about two months time. This happened to me and the solution was to have a wider grip with thumbs over the bar so that the outer bit of my palm is the only part in contact with the bar.

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosLow Bar Squat Form Check
Return to top View Desktop Site