REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 213 guests
You are here: HomeForumstainless → View All Posts

View All Posts: stainless

12345678910 ... ... 1920212223242526272829

» 24Hour Weigh ins - Do you approve? (Go to post)12-03-2012 @ 18:51 
miked said:"IN the bigger picture they are meaningless"?????...i do not give a f**k if 1000 people know who i am!!! I train hard and give everthing i have got!!...SO DO NOT TELL ME IT IS MEANINGLESS!!....you are being very arrogant and insulting!!

Okay, okay,meaningless is a bit harsh.I apologize.
Every thing has value,every gym pb is more valuable to me on an intrinsic level than who won the Worlds.
But what i am trying to say,albeit badly is that strongest me for means the strongest,not the strongest lightweight.I enjoy 105s but i just cant get that excited about it.I never once said that the athletes aren't strong or dedicated,but that i just don't see what dropping weight has got to do with getting stronger.I'm not criticizing any athlete,just a system.
I'm paraphrasing Phil Philster here but i think he said something like,"if it was all about being big then we could just see who was the biggest,give him the trophy and we could all go home,fortunately for us strongman is more interesting than that"
Darren Saddler could probably have hung about the lightweight ranks and been top dog,he didn't,despite his lack of size he takes on the big guys,if he doesn't succeed it wont be for lack of trying.
It is precisely because i think the top 105 guys are so good that i want to see them take on the big guys.
Sorry for hijacking Freddie's post,but i just keep coming back to the same answer: if it's a struggle getting to 105 its because your body wants to be heavier.
» 24Hour Weigh ins - Do you approve? (Go to post)12-03-2012 @ 18:31 
terryhollands said:
I was only 137kg In 2003, haha

Are you sure the scales didn't just stop at 137kg.

Tongue
» 24Hour Weigh ins - Do you approve? (Go to post)12-03-2012 @ 17:52 
miked said:Stainless what titles are meaningless? ouch! Unhappy ....u105's? ...who decides if it is meaningless?....they have always meant a lot to me!

In the bigger picture they are meaningless,stop a 1000 people in the street and ask them to name one 105 strongman athlete.I' didn't say it's not worth doing,just that for me strongman is about taking on other strongmen not just the lightweights.You are a genuine 105 champion who is not afraid to do open comps,some of which you've even won.
I had a great time doing the 105s and hold all the guys in high esteem,but i just want to see the little guy take on the big guys once in a while ,not stay safe.Is that so bad? Like i said i only wanted to get stronger,it was never about winning trophys ,which was just as well since i never did.

Grin Grin
» 24Hour Weigh ins - Do you approve? (Go to post)12-03-2012 @ 17:43 
Post Edited: 12.03.2012 @ 17:54 PM by stainless
shanejer said:
Well to you being ESM u105 might be a meaning less title for a bit of fun with a little tropy ...but for some people they want to be that man and train all year for it....... so perhaps you should take up another sport instead of competing for a meaningless reason! or perhaps keep your opinion to yourself Happy

And just what would the reason be in being on a discussion forum if not to voice opinion? I thought that's what we were all doing surely?

Take all the opinions off the forum and it'd be a pretty quiet place.
It's only my opinion,i ain't expecting you to agree but do try not be so threatened by other people's point of view,there's a big world out there friend.
I've done lots of 105 comps,because i've never been more than 102kg,and i saw them as fun and good comp experience,but for me weight comps are just playing at being strong.I 'm not looking to offend any one but when all these weight categories comps started the talk was all about how it was gonna bring more people into the sport and how they would all be gradually be getting bigger and stronger and moving up a category,i see no evidence of that happening just people staying in their safe wee weight group afraid to compete with the big boys.
This is not a dig at the athletes,loads of them probably train harder and smarter than a lot of the opens.But i'm sorry it just doesn't excite me that much.If you're strong,you're strong.I only ever wanted to test myself against my peers,for me that was anyone in Scotland who said they were strong,not my fellow LITTLE peers.
I entered a comp in 2003,i got to compete against Big Terry,why ,because there was no weight cat comps.I beat him in two events,i'm under no illusion that a year later he could have ate me up and spat me out,but i got to take on somebody almost double my body weight and not humiliate myself.If that was now a lighter athlete would just make the assumption that he could't face a heavyweight,i think that's something we've lost.Now we even have weight category NOVICE comps,to me that's just not needed.But hey,just my opinion.
Like i said, 105s are a bit of fun,but if you're strong you should be looking to gradually move up,not cut weight.
» 24Hour Weigh ins - Do you approve? (Go to post)12-03-2012 @ 16:21 
If it's easy to be 105 then you're probably lifting in the right category.If you are struggling to make the weight it's because your body is telling you something-you're meant to be heavier,compete in the opens.
The 105s is a bit of fun for lighter guys to see were they stamd against each other.But think back a bit-wasn't the reason you started doing all this was to get stronger?
What's dropping weight but hunting a little trophy and a fairly meaningless title.Let the genuine 105s have their fun and heavies go do opens.
Personally i think if you can win a 105s you can compete in the opens.I'd rather place in an open than drop one pound just to win 105 trophy.It's about getting stronger,no?
» Freaky Fettish (Go to post)10-03-2012 @ 10:59 
you can relax Hixxy,when you were up here doing the BSM it just so happens that you left behind a sock.I'd put it in my strongman collectibles box were it's been nestled up against Andy Cairney's jockstrap and Ken Nowicki's support tights.I've contacted the guy to see if it'll do.Turns out he's a scientist and if he can extract enough of your DNA from the sock he plans to grow his own Hixxy.It's anybody's guess what he plans to do with your clone,but on a plus side it could be good competition for you...or a hell of a two man team.Grin
» And another one...ruptured distal bicep tendon :-( (Go to post)09-03-2012 @ 17:23 
rotten luck,but on the plus side all the top guys seem to have ripped something off at some point so at least you're in good company.Speedy recovery.
» Kidney Donor (Go to post)09-03-2012 @ 16:56 
Post Edited: 09.03.2012 @ 16:57 PM by stainless
Colin Bayne,was a Scottish athlete,competed in the Scotland's strongest man final in 2004 after he had been the recipient of a kidney from his mum
» Kidney Donor (Go to post)09-03-2012 @ 16:53 
Stetec said:
Sorry to hear that dude, all the best and wish you a speedy recovery. Do you have a donor on the cards?

Thanks very much.Yes i do.
» Kidney Donor (Go to post)09-03-2012 @ 06:00 
brownbear said:
was your kidney function measured as an estimated gfr or an accurate hospital based creatinine clearance study?

That is my average gfr.
» Kidney Donor (Go to post)08-03-2012 @ 21:56 
The kidneys are incredible organs and provide vastly more function than we will just about ever require.
I am currently at end stage renal failure and am down to 15% efficiency.When a kidney is removed the other doesn't enlarge but simply(or amazingly) increases it's work load and typically you will go from 100% to about 80%.
My last comp was a team comp with Ken Nowicki 2 years ago,we had a hell of a truck to pull,viking press,car deadlift etc,we came a half point off winning and i was sitting at 24% kidney function at the time,so i have every confidence in telling you that once you've healed from the surgery nothing will stop you from continuing to grow stronger.
I still train 3 days per week albeit at a much reduced rate,i have to get by on about 120 grams of protein as i have to give my body less work to do.
My mother also had a successful kidney transplant which lasted many years and vastly improved the quality of her life.
I think what you are doing for your mother is wonderful and i wish you both a speedy full recovery.
» EUROPEAN STRONGEST MAN 2012 GIANTS LIVE (Go to post)08-03-2012 @ 18:23 
Jeremy is for me what strongman is all about.Not just size weight and muscle but just pure strength.Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Bren,but looking at him opposite Jeremy going into the stones,was just insane,Bren what 140kg and muscular with it,6ft 3 maybe? Jeremy 90 kg soaking wet,5ft 10?At face value any one would have looked at them and called it a mismatch,a no win situation.But when you're strong you're strong,it's too easy to sit safe in your wee weight class scared to go up against guys because they're bigger but Jeremy gets stuck right in there and probably is the lightest guy ever in a Scotland's strongest man final in modern times.
Strong is strong,size is size.Keep it up JEREMY THE GIANT KILLER.
» Atlas Stone Technique (Go to post)08-03-2012 @ 15:47 
Speed is the key.Especially with shorter arms,as gravity is acting against you the second you break the ground,the maximal force that you can exert on your forearm flexors can on be maintained on the stone for a very short time,even if your back and hammys feel like they've got loads more in them.Go back and get someone to time you on the lighter stones that you can manage,don't load just start timing how fast you can get it off the ground and into your lap.Once you've got your times faster on the lighter stone,go back and apply the same explosiveness to the heavier stone.Let us know how you get on.
» U.S vs U.K Strongman Scene (Go to post)06-03-2012 @ 15:40 
terryhollands said:There will be a qualifier for wsm for the Brits and there will be no free rides for people this year. A giants live british wsm qual. I will be doing it along with loz, Felix etc.

Great chance for guys to prove themselves. Top 5 will be at wsm

Brilliant news.
» daily star page 27 wayne russell (Go to post)06-03-2012 @ 15:30 
I think you've got this guy all wrong,someone tipped my wheely bin over last year right in the middle of my prep for the Arnolds,this is why i was missing from the line up.Grin

12345678910 ... ... 1920212223242526272829

You are here: HomeForumstainless → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions