REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 206 guests
You are here: HomeForumstainless → View All Posts

View All Posts: stainless

12345678910 ... ... 1920212223242526272829

» menzies stone. (Go to post)14-08-2012 @ 05:57 
Post Edited: 14.08.2012 @ 05:58 AM by stainless
yes james it's from David's book. Reckon i've seen most of the photos of Donald but they are all just posed for photos. I don't think photography in the 1850s to 1890s was able to capture action shots.I don't know of one with him holding the 56lb but as time goes by i believe more photos of him will come to light.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)13-08-2012 @ 19:38 
Hi James, you still in OZ?
I think you you would be hard pushed to find any detailed and reliable sources of stone lifting going back any significant time.
Even if some body gave an account of their lift they wouldn't necessarily say whether they applied anything to their hands or not so i think it's a big assumption that they wouldn't.
The point i was making was that tacky in it's modern form might come in a tub from Dave Ostlund etc but that it's been around for far longer.
we lift these stones today for reasons not too dissimilar to ancient times-to prove our strength. If lifting stones today is important to us it was probably even more important to those young men to either mark the transition into manhood or in some cases to be selected as part of the clan chief's elite bodyguard. It is only my personal opinion but i think it highly unlikely that given it's importance that they wouldn't have made use of what ever was available locally to them to aid in their grip. I think we have romanticed the idea that they would have just spat on their hands, failed and given up.
People have been putting the shot for two hundred years plus at regular gatherings, they use tacky ,i 'd bet they've been applying some sort of tacky for just as long.
I don't know the exact original source material for the account of Donald Dinnie's historic weight-lifting match with Professor Miller in 1884 but an account of it will almost certainly be found in a Melbourne newspaper of the time.In referring to Dinnie's lift of a 160lb dumbell the account states" Donald,after rubbing his hand with turpentine , with one pull snatched the weight straight to arms length overhead"
In David Webster's footnotes to this account he states-tacky is made by mixing melted resin with turpentine.
I will ask David if he has any further information on use of tacky when next i see him.
I would repeat James that this is only my thoughts on the matter and if Peter Martin has evidence that nobody of old ever used tacky on any sorts to lift these stones then he'll get no argument from me.
As far as lifting the stones goes to today, is it harder to lift with out tacky? you bet, the Menzies stone is really smooth and lifting it without tacky is unquestionably a harder task. It is doable with just chalk, i have lifted it with just chalk, but then chalk is also an aid to grip just not a messy one.
With regards the Inverstone, anyone attempting to put tacky on it should be hung drawn and quartered as it is totally unnecessary having a much rougher surface.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)12-08-2012 @ 09:48 
Post Edited: 12.08.2012 @ 09:48 AM by stainless
well done Mike Daly, first time trying the stone took it for a stroll and only broke the games record, nice one Mike. Never mind Tom Daley, Should be a Gold for Mike.
» Real or fake? (Go to post)08-08-2012 @ 17:33 
slimsim said:Ahh, yeah I think I saw the same film errr, I mean documentary. Didn't they land at the Dark Side Of The Moon though? Maybe that's why we cannot see them?

s**t! That was a film? I was only half watching.
» Real or fake? (Go to post)08-08-2012 @ 17:20 
I just saw a documentary, an overly long one in fact, and it turns out that these automated creatures that are sort of half robot/half automobile had crash landed on the moon years ago so surely if they had landed on the moon they would have noticed them? The whole thing reeks of conspiracy.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 21:24 
jt said:
what a travesty!

you think you're being a purist but people have been using tacky in one form or another to lift and throw stones for well over a hundred years.
To be honest you don't need tacky to lift it chalk will do. It'd be nicer if you couldn't use tacky cause the stone looks like a ball of grass once everyone's done but hey.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 21:15 
dannym said:where is it held? Looks fun. Is it 11th august?

it is great fun, nice atmosphere.
It's in Aberfeldy, pretty sure it's been confirmed as 11th but please double check.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 21:09 
you're allowed tacky.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 21:03 
brocerslrd said:Hmmmm. might have a bit of an issue getting the bugger off the deck as i expect it'll be quite warm so smooth?

if you can pick up a 120 atlas stone then you'll pick this up.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 19:51 
brocerslrd said:I wouldn't mind having a go at this sometime. WHat sort of shape is it?

almost round.
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 19:50 
miked said:Stainless... Thanks for reminding me of this! Happy...... Yes gonna have a go this year...funnily enough have been doing endurance stuff and carrys in training lately...

great, i'll expect 180 feet plus.

Happy
» menzies stone. (Go to post)31-07-2012 @ 15:36 
Breadalbane highland games sat 11th.
Anybody planning on going up for a go at this? Mike, this year?
for anybody that doesn't know it's a natural stone 115kg, pick it up,everyone gets two goes, max distance wins cash usually £150 for 1st,£100 for 2nd, £75 for 3rd,carry it 10ft and get a tenner.
Be good to see a strongman take this a good distance.
Stone usually gets wheeled out about 3ish.
» Scottish Qualifier for Amature Arnolds 2013. (Go to post)16-07-2012 @ 19:06 
Hope to be there pal.
» UK's Strongest Man 2012 events (Go to post)16-07-2012 @ 15:03 
martinb said:Frank says this is his last year doing SSM and the UKs, he is moving to masters comps next year

I'll believe it when I see it, but if it is his last year, he has really gone out with a bang finishing 3rd at SSM and qualifying for the UKs

Frank's been saying that for the last 10 years. He's like a fine buckfast, getting better with age.
» Scottish Qualifier for Amature Arnolds 2013. (Go to post)16-07-2012 @ 15:02 
rottie said:If you are on Facebook the Gym that the comp is being held at has creasted an event for this - just add yourself if you are coming along.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/events/441079502592096/

There are various other things going on that day for the family so bring them along too. There will be a few local restuarant with food on offer and a cupcake company with their produce for sale, a bouncy castle, face painting, a henna tattoo artist, a photographer and even some belly dancers I'm told!!

A mobile car valeter will be there too with great deals if you want to have the car cleaned whilst you watch - Valet Wright comes highly recommended (with 2 dogs and a car that stores my Gym bag and everything else my wife doesnt allow indoors, i can vouch that he leaves it looking & smelling like new)

Toilet facilities will be available within the gym. There is also has a smoothie bar inside too!

There is no fee to compete but if competitors would like they can make a donation in aid of 'Maggies - Scottish Cancer Care Centres' which is the Charity funds are being raised for throughout the day.

http://www.gym64.com/index/62-maggies.html

if she lets you indoors she can't be that strict.

Grin

12345678910 ... ... 1920212223242526272829

You are here: HomeForumstainless → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions