REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 243 guests
You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Martin1956

12345678910 ... 474475476 ... 505506507508509510511512513514515

» A Quiz... Of Sorts! (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 15:13 
Sorry Rick, I didn't see the first part of your post. The short answer is, yes I do. It's not a pet-help service, of course. It's a service, as Silver Oldie pointed out, that is primarily there to take stray and dangerous dogs off the streets and to deal with a number of dog related issues, including educating the public on dog safety issues, fouling issues, etc. One small aspect of the service is reuniting chipped dogs with their owners when they escape, but that's not its primary purpose, so to call it a pet-help servive is somewhere between misleasding and mischievous.

The nearest swimming pool in my council's area is over 10 miles away. I never use it, yet I subsidise the people that do. Same with football pitches, sports centres, community centres, skateboard parks... That's how local councils operate. They provide a range of services for all aspects of the community and we all pay for them whether we use them or not. Many of the benefits are secondary. I don't use youth centres, but I benefit from their existence because it improves the general quality of life where I live. I have happily subsidised the dog warden service for the last 28 years without ever needing to take advantage of it. When 28 years later, I need to use it once, I reckon I've got a few credits in the bank. A typical swimming pool admission would be more than £10 if the facility wasn't subsidised. I am quite content to subsidise it, because without the subsidy it would close.

I have no problem, I reiterate, with paying a reasonable charge. I don't consider £140 reasonable. You do. Shall we just agree to differ?
» A Quiz... Of Sorts! (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 14:42 
Rick said:
Yes, of course a council is not run for profit. The point I was trying to make, perhaps with too much subtlety, is that it's not at all clear to me that you should expect such a pet-help service to be heavily subsidised from general taxation.

Martin1956 said:

Rick, I think you were missing my main point, which was not that a £10 a day kennelling fee was unreasonable but that they would have taken my dogs there even although they had identified the owner if I had not been in a position to pay £140. This time last year, I was living on £10 a week and would not have been able to pay that. Do you think it reasonable in these circumstances that my dogs would have been taken somewhere and put up for rehoming?

I also do not wish to get too heavy here, but: if you can't pay a return fee, you can't pay a vet's bill. If you can't pay a vet's bill, ought you to have dogs?

So I'm temporarily impoversihed and I give up my dogs???????
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 13:57 
Lol! Don't forget the matching socks and trainers. 20something girls just don't get the F6, and have great difficulty helping me off with it. So biceps it is! Otherwise I'd just be letting my public down.
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 13:54 
We normally go to the cafe round the corner for a post-weigh in fry up. Lovely jubbly!
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 13:17 
little_a said:
Martin1956 said:
Hope they're not the ones that came down from Inverness, cos if they are they ain't any more.

Thought they were 4 and 20?
Confused

There was definitely more than two of them - and I wouldn't be interested in the four year old.
» BDFPA Weight classes (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 10:02 
Yes, as I understand it, that's right. Same as BWLA, btw.
» BDFPA Weight classes (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 01:18 
You can go down but not up, reason being you haven't done the qualifying total for the lighter class at the lighter weight. But if you have done the heavier qualifying total at the lighter weight, you can go up. Does that make sense?
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 00:45 
ianshaw said:
i think that shaw will win the 90kg class this year hes on fire hes like a wild animal wating to be let loose on stage

Welcome Ian - at last! What's all this shagger business? You and Porky been getting it on?
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 00:44 
Carl said:

remeber our deal martin

1000 virgins

Hope they're not the ones that came down from Inverness, cos if they are they ain't any more.
» TOMS TRAINING LOG. (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 00:38 
tbench said:
Rob said:
Good stuff Tom mate, looking good!

I don't get why the qualifying total is only another 2.5 kilos from the 110s to the 125s.. that's an extra 15 kilos! Seems strange Confused

yes i agree Rob i had a look at the BDFPA site and for my age group next year m2 the british record is 165 110s and 167.5 125s,quallifying is the same diff 125 110s 127.5 125s so i dont see the point in trying to lose the weightConfused

If you do, you'll be lifting against guys two stones lighter, plus you can go up a weight in the British but not down. You're just reducing your options and lifting against bigger guys. Plus a bit of weight loss is part of the discipline of the sport. I seem to remember it used to be a good challenge when I was a mere youth in my 40s!
» A Quiz... Of Sorts! (Go to post)01-12-2007 @ 00:32 
Post Edited: 01.12.2007 @ 00:35 AM
Without getting too heavy here, the dog warden service is part of the council's Environmental Services department. Council's exist to provide services, not to make a profit. Their principal income is tax revenues, made up of central government subsidy (80%) and council tax (20%). I already pay £1500 a year in council tax and Christ knows how much in other direct and indirect taxes. I have no objection in principle to making some payment, but not an exploitative amount extorted from me under extreme pressure.

Rick, I think you were missing my main point, which was not that a £10 a day kennelling fee was unreasonable but that they would have taken my dogs there even although they had identified the owner if I had not been in a position to pay £140. This time last year, I was living on £10 a week and would not have been able to pay that. Do you think it reasonable in these circumstances that my dogs would have been taken somewhere and put up for rehoming?

Rob, I'm getting into writing as a secondary source of income, so I would write any article myself and try and sell it as a freelance. You remember right about the older pup running off one night last week. As she matures, she's getting more of a wanderlust, because she's very wolflike in character as well as appearance. Previously I could just let them out into the garden, but now I don't any more. I was with them when she ran off. Now she goes on a lead before I open the back door!

We'll just have to agree to disagree about what's a reasonable return fee, I guess, but it's been useful to get a range of reactions. Thanks for them all. On the silver linings from clouds front, it's given me a great source of after dinner material based around councils using the mafia as contractors for various services. I've already got about 10 minutes material and rising out of it.

PS - It happened in daytime. I don't think the council operates a 24 hour service, but there might be an on call requirement on staff. I reckon they pay a dog warden £5 to £10 an hour, so recovering my dogs would have paid her salary for at least two days.
» Joe The Terrible's Stink'in Log (Go to post)30-11-2007 @ 19:57 
Very impressive, Joe. Looks like there's plenty more there. (Easy for me to say, I know!)
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)30-11-2007 @ 19:49 
Tonight's stuff...

Dips Machine - 3 sets of 10 with 10 plates; 2 sets of 10 with 12; 1 set of 10 with 15; 1 set of 10 with 18.
Triceps Pressdowns - sets of 10 with 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Hammer Curls - sets of 10 with 10s, 12.5s, 15s, 17.5s and 20s
Cardio - 35 minutes for 527 calories output.
Ab Roller - 3 sets of 20
DB Curls - 3 sets of 20 with 7s.

Got a good burn off the triceps work. Backed off last set of pressdowns because there was just a little twinge where I had my golfers elbow. Not getting that again for the sake of a set of pressdowns! Nice solid cardio session. First time on ab roller in about 2 years! And didn't it tell? First "proper" curls in a long time - just nice and light and get the muscles working again, but no golfers elbow twinges which was fantastic. Btw there are two reasons I'm going to do curls - to help fill out the arms of the bench shirt and give me a bit more; and to impress drunken girls less than half my age on Friday nights. You need to do things like that when you haven't got a tongue like a goat.
» Life is like a box of Chocolates (Go to post)30-11-2007 @ 19:37 
JC said:
would have to become one fat f**k to get to 100KG+, as Im only 5ft 8"

So when are you going to tell Clive Henry this?
» TOMS TRAINING LOG. (Go to post)30-11-2007 @ 19:35 
Very impressed by these. Looking spot on, Tom!

12345678910 ... 474475476 ... 505506507508509510511512513514515

You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions