REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 101 guests
You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Martin1956

12345678910 ... 470471472 ... 506507508509510511512513514515516

» How many sugden members can YOU see ?? (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 22:02 
Yeah, I can see 8 excluding Phil and the Turnermator.
» The Assassin (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 21:50 
Told you before, Big Boy. No biting!
» 3 Labradors (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 18:21 
little_a said:
Martin1956 said:
The old ones are the best!Grin

You would say that Wink

Of course I would. I always speak the truth!Tongue
» Silver_Oldies Log (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 15:35 
Without over-complicating things and getting into heated debates (which I'd probably lose!), the idea behind threes is to go as close to 1RM as possible for reps. The more reps you do, the more you have to move your 1RM %ages down. Fours ARE good, of course, as are fives, but threes are best imo. But if you do them every heavy workout, you get stale, hence switching between three fives and five threes. As I said, just my own experience and what works for me, but you'll find many knowledgeable powerlifters swear by the numbers three and five - three to five reps with three to five sets with three to five minutes in between sets. I suppose three fives, four fours and five threes would be another cycle variation. Might try that in the new year! My basic point is that it's no good getting only one sets of threes in on your threes day, if that makes any sense!
» The Road To a 500K Total @ 75K UE (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 15:14 
Good luck on Sunday!
» Silver_Oldies Log (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 15:13 
I wouldn't do 44322, because neither fours nor twos are as effective as threes - and you're only getting one three in! Logical really!

Attack it from the other direction. When you can do an extra rep (or two) on your fifth set, then it's time to up the weight by 2.5. My recipe for variety on my heavy bench day (and I stress it's only mine!) is to do three fives one week and five threes the next week. On my three fives day, when I can do six on the third set, it's time to add 2.5 next time I do three fives (in two weeks time). On my five three day, when I can either do four on the fifth set or all five threes without undue strain, again it's time to up the weight next time (again, in two weeks time).

But I believe that the heavy stuff has to be done in conjunction with speed work, and one brings on the other. And if you can incorporate bands, so much the better. I bet lots of relatives are puzzling over what to get you for Christmas. Why not suggest bands and avoid the usual socks, pants and smellies?
» 3 Labradors (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 14:59 
The old ones are the best!Grin
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)11-12-2007 @ 10:20 
Should have added that I boil washed my loose 46 F6 yesterday. Tried it on at the end of the session (didn't lift in it) and it was definitely tighter and more supportive than before. I'll have a play with it next Monday if Bradford goes well. I'm still hankering after that 191 before the end of the year, even unofficially, so the Sugden Christmas Meet might have an extra attendee, but I won't confirm till next Tuesday if that's ok. Maybe Moz will come along and try a 200 as well. I'll ask.
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 22:43 
Cheers lads. You know, the mind does weird things! Obviously I didn't lift yesterday, but this morning my body felt like I had! And I was still shattered tonight! Clearly I was with all the lifters in spirit yesterday. So I've got to be pleased with what I managed to do tonight.

On the Moz front, the lad's been working night shifts for years, and he's recently got a new job that's basically 9 to 5 with the occasional call out, and I think settling in to a normal time routine has really helped his lifting. Couldn't believe what I was seeing, and I guarantee you that when he did the 170 there was quite a bit to spare. Awesome.
» The Assassin (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 22:30 
ANOTHER pb! Stupendous. Nearly good enough to compete now.Wink
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 22:27 
BlackKnight said:
DMPM said:
I had a great day, hit two PBs in my first comp, so I can't complain. I'll put some vids up soon.

A bit pissed I buggered my bench, but you can't win them all. Happy

Great atmosphere and really well run, props to all involved. Martin Flett was great on the mic I thought.

Great to meet a few people off the board, sorry I didn't talk to anyone before I lifted, I was too busy s**tting myself all morning.

Great result mate, well done and nice to meet you for a few words after!
How did you manage to stay in the 110's? You've got a big old frame and could easily move up-any plans?Grin

Ahah! Are you Joel, DMPM? I was trying to match you to initials! Good lifting mate. Strong, strong, strong!
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 22:03 
Post Edited: 10.12.2007 @ 22:44 PM
And this is me!

Moz was bloody stupendous tonight. This guy, who failed 147.5 at the British Raw Bench in July, absolutely PISSED 160 with competition commands, then nailed a 170 touch and go, and I mean nailed. Mind you he's gone from 83 to 92! He didn't lift yesterday because he strained his groin and didn't want to risk squatting. Then he put on a shirt and couldn't touch either 190 or 200! Then he bloody well outbenched me on band work - little whippersnapper.

Anyway, my workout tonight. Heavy bench, last one before Saturday...

Warmed up to 127.5 for 3, then

147.5 for 3
147.5 for 3
147.5 for 3
147.5 for 3
150 for 2

One purple band on, three warm up sets, then

105 for 5
115 for 5
125 for 4
115 for 5
115 for 5

and that was that. Bloody hard. Reflections... was disappointed not to get 3 with 150, because all the 3s with 147.5 were strong. Amazing the difference 1.25 a side makes! But I effectively did the five threes with 147.5 that I wanted. I open with 145 on Saturday! I added 2.5 to all the band sets again and think I just found my limit at 125. 120s were hard, 122.5s were mega hard, I just couldn't get the fifth rep out with 125. And Moz bloody well did! That's all the work for Bradford done, then. What I ain't got now I ain't gonna get between now and Saturday. Just a few paused singles with 100ish on Wednesday evening to do some comp-style practice, then hopefully 160 will fall on Saturday.
» WOODY ALLEN SYNDROME (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 21:36 
Hi all x Its moz on Martins computer.

We've just been Widnes do some bench with joey and jon.

I did a pause with 160kg (easy btw), then 170kg touch and go (easy aswel)
Im quite happy with that altho im a fat bugger tho 92kg ish lol.

Good to see everyone at the Northwest yesterday, sorry I had to dash on call, yah, yah ,yah.

see ya'll soon

Moz x x x
» Northwest Powerlifting Champs Dec 9th (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 14:56 
IainKendrick said:
Well done to all! Great squat by fat-pete and I want Ian Shaws arms, great deadlift!

I'll let Ian know. Maybe you'll end up embraced in them, seen as you're a fellow Iain and all that.
» Child protection legislation (Go to post)10-12-2007 @ 14:54 
Without writing pages here, I can only reiterate that it's not a BWLA problem. BWLA is being driven by UK Sport, which in turn would claim to be driven by legislative requirements. Over legislation? Of course it is. But do kiddie fiddlers use sports clubs as a way of getting close to kids? Of course they do. So the trouble is where do you draw the line I guess. Sometimes bad laws come about for the best of reasons. I'm not advocating this, but I can see more and more clubs being for 18+ only, and for junior comps to be held totally separately to senior/masters ones.

I specifically asked that if half a dozen of us trained at regular times in a commercial gym and a 16 year old asked to join us, surely that wouldn't be regarded as a club. The answer was that it probably would be, but until the guidlines are finalised there's still a bit of guesswork involved. As I said, I didn't want to start scaremongering before guidlines came out. But if I go to a meeting representing a group of people, I think I have some obligation to report back on the business of the meeting.

12345678910 ... 470471472 ... 506507508509510511512513514515516

You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions