REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 7 members and 30 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts

View All Posts: Martin1956

12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)26-06-2007 @ 22:43 
Cheers for the comments,lads. In fairness to BWLA, it's not a BWLA rule but an IPF one. BWLA has no choice but to apply it as a condition of its membership of the IPF. I, like most of you, obviously, thought we were only prevented from lifting against banned lifters until Rick directed me to 14.9 (earlier in the thread if you haven't seen it). So I can (theoretically) set a WDFPF record, as long as it's not done in an international event. Lunacy! Probably breaches Human Rights legislation, not that I can be arsed going down that road.
» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)26-06-2007 @ 20:58 
I'm gutted Jon. I can do both - IPFs in September and Drug Free in October (assuming everything goes ok and I get selected) but if I do that I won't be able to be involved in BWLA in any way until October 08. More chance of a medal drug free, and I get to represent Scotland for the first time in my life, but IPF is swimming with the big fishes and I've been with BWLA since '95. Just a shame the rules force me to make the decision. Can't see what the problem is if I'm not lifting against banned lifters tbh. Would understand it if we were professionals with contracts etc., but this is an amateur sport that costs us all money to compete in.
» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)26-06-2007 @ 16:19 
Originally posted by sivvy1...
so if you lifted in any other fed you would be banned?

Yes, but only if you lifted in an international event (eg Europeans, Worlds, etc.) in another federation. Check web link from Rick's post.
» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)26-06-2007 @ 16:16 
s**t. So if I do the WDFPF Worlds I get a 12 month suspension from all BWLA events! Crazy. Big decision ahead...

Thanks for info Rick. I was looking in the wrong place. I can think of some lifters who have transgressed and got off with it (will name no names).
» Hypertrophy - reps or weight ? (Go to post)26-06-2007 @ 01:31 
Ian, I thought hores liked to watch their figures?Happy
» CNP Pro male (Go to post)24-06-2007 @ 23:04 
It's not herbal stuff as such that they test for, but if for example a herbal concoction contains ephedrine or something like that then you could get done. (Not saying this product does.) They test for everything on the WADA banned list when they test, they're not selective about what is tested for. That's partly why the tests are so expensive.
» Clive Henry gets IPF Worlds Gold (Go to post)24-06-2007 @ 21:31 
Rick, what does 14.9 say? The docs I can access only go up to 14.5. Can't imagine there's a ban on competing in other feds per se, because lots of guys compete in WDFPF and IPF. Or have I committed a heinous sin by doing both? Interesting that the bans on lifting where banned persons are present includes officials, not just lifters.
» NW training camp 24th June (Go to post)24-06-2007 @ 18:11 
Post Edited: 24.06.2007 @ 18:13 PM
Nice to see you all again. The session was invaluable for my two guys and gives them an excellent base to start their squats and deadlifts from. I can sort of steer them in the right direction on bench. Also helped me in how to coach the two lifts if anyone else in the gym shows an interest. Wish I'd had more time for the bands. That's something to look forward to next time. Big thanks to Jim and Bryn for organising the day and to Chris for letting us use his gym. And Joe B for his input as well. Really appreciated.

Can't believe that more didn't come. Imagine any other sport where you would be offered free coaching by British champions?

Just a thought, but if we could turn that session into a roadshow that we took to various appropriate gyms, we'd really boost NW numbers over the next year or so. I'd be up for it if a few others were as well.

Hope to see you all on the 22nd. Apparently the mc's had a bit of practice since last time!
» Interesting grip training... (Go to post)20-06-2007 @ 23:19 
Originally posted by Rob...
Originally posted by Martin1956...
And will go down really well at the gay pride thing in Bournemouth that's on the same weekend as the BPO/C British. Going to get one? Remember not to leave the venue with your leotard on!Wink

Oh right, now I know the real reason Boar and Tony are taking me down with them. Unhappy Unhappy

I'd leave the two of them to go down by themselves.Wink
» Interesting grip training... (Go to post)20-06-2007 @ 20:41 
Originally posted by Boar...
the vest simply ooozes class.....

quote]

And will go down really well at the gay pride thing in Bournemouth that's on the same weekend as the BPO/C British. Going to get one? Remember not to leave the venue with your leotard on!Wink
» info on gym work/ courses please (Go to post)20-06-2007 @ 20:34 
Wouldn't recommend anyone to start up a gym. I did in 1996 and it was great for a few years until all the fitness chains came along. I had to compete on price, but then they came to me because I was cheap and then moaned because I didn't have the same levels of equipment and environment. Sod the fact that the instruction was ten times better.

Most gyms make their money out of taking monthly payments for at least a year from people who stop going after a few weeks. My non-payment rate was quite high, costs were rising all the time, health and safety regs getting more and more expensive to comply with, and importantly, sunbed business dropped dramatically with all the adverse publicity. I survived on sunbed takings for my first 18 months!

Few gyms (the likes of Catts) make money from the powerlifting/strongman market, or even from serious bodybuilders. The reason? They come five/six times a week, hammer the equipment, and scare off the newbies that you need to survive.

Running your own gym sounds like the dream job. It's not. Long hours. little money, and the last thing you want to do at the end of the shift is go into the gym. You just want to get out of there. Working out in someone else's is far more fun. No one complaining about a sticky cable crossover when you're halfway through five heavy bench reps! Honestly, it actually happened.

On the fitness trainer front, colleges are turning out hundreds of students with NVQs, but there aren't hundreds of new jobs for them. The market is saturated with qualified people, therefore pay is low and employers can be exploitative.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans, just being realistic.
» new to forum (Go to post)13-06-2007 @ 21:36 
Welcome!
» Britain's Got Talent.... (Go to post)13-06-2007 @ 21:35 
Originally posted by tokar...
The guy's a good singer, I'm not saying otherwise.

I am nothing remotely like Simon Cowell, who is a complete c**t.

What makes you feel incomplete?

Sorry, couldn't resist it.Happy
» Britain's Got Talent.... (Go to post)12-06-2007 @ 18:00 
Gave me goose bumps that did. Superb!
» NW training camp 24th June (Go to post)12-06-2007 @ 17:55 
I'll be there and I'll try and bring along at least 2 new faces.

12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

You are here: HomeForumMartin1956 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto