REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 192 guests
You are here: HomeForumJamie → View All Posts

View All Posts: Jamie

» Design your own strongman event (Go to post)07-08-2009 @ 22:59 
Thing said:
Quickest time to drve a fence post level with the ground

Funny thing, I competed in the Crossfit Games a few weeks ago and we had to do just this, with a 500m row before and after. It was a pain, I destroyed three sledgehammers doing it.
» Ideas on protein Consumption (Go to post)16-07-2009 @ 15:30 
Guys, remember that there are 2.2lbs in 1kg, so 1g per lb is almost the same as 2g per kg...
» Carbs (Go to post)10-06-2009 @ 21:29 
Brad_Pitt said:
paul_richards said:
not a the night before a comp when you are a Kg or so over

Why not? the night before you shouldnt be losing anything but fluids.

Yes and carbohydrates make you retain fluid...
» second hand weights for sale??? (Go to post)09-06-2009 @ 20:55 
I have some 10, 15 and 20kg bumpers and 25kg cast plates, as well as an olympic bar if you're interested? I'm in Manchester till Friday then going to USA for a month, if you want them before I leave then get in touch ASAP!
» Bodyweight for Height (Go to post)03-06-2009 @ 10:09 
Yeah, that'd do the trick. I bet she'd have a great bench, so long as she could hold her breath long enough to make the lift. Breathing with those badboys must be pretty hard if you lying on your back.
» Bodyweight for Height (Go to post)02-06-2009 @ 23:12 
Yeah I was going to say, extra weight just means the bar doesn't have to move as far on bench press! Bit like a board press....belly press? Some cheeky implants could reduce the ROM even further...
» Sexism and Sugden (Go to post)02-06-2009 @ 17:52 
IainKendrick said:
Sorry reverse a tad!

Women have the what now? A "vote"?

As in for an MP or just Britains got Talent?

If it's the former those 'liberal lefties' must have slipped that through parliment on the quiet! Grin

Awesome.

More to the point, doesn't the original poster think he's being a tad condescending to women - they can stand up for themselves, surely? Typical man...
» Bodyweight for Height (Go to post)02-06-2009 @ 17:46 
The 3.5 x BW DL thread got me thinking about whether there is an 'ideal' bodyweight to be at a given height.

Obviously we know that shorter guys are going to weigh less, but say you are, for example, 5'8, is there a bodyweight at which you will perform best? And does this vary dependent on your sport (PL, OL, Strongman, Tiddly winks etc)?

Also, is there a point beyond which you won't see further gains, no matter how much bodyweight you add (diminishing returns)?

Discuss!
» All guys with good Deadlift: Race to 3.5x BW (Go to post)01-06-2009 @ 22:49 
Here's some total speculation:

Muscle gets stronger by being trained. You can get a lot stronger without adding muscle (think gymnasts, little powerlifters etc) by utilising a greater proportion of the muscle in your body. Interestingly, in untrained individuals, maximal contraction involves activating only around 40% of the fibres in any one muscle. With training you can get this up to around the 70% mark. Much like learning the piano or anything else, you learn to recruit a greater proportion of fibres in the muscle and thus can generate more force.

To learn to recruit more muscle takes time, obviously. We also know that adding muscle (hypertrophy) can make you stronger - a larger muscle has greater potential to be stronger. But, just as you learnt to utilise a greater proportion of you previous muscle mass in order to get stronger, now you must learn to use this new mass.

What this means is the new mass isn't pulling it's weight, so to speak. You need to work very hard to gain to get the same efficiency in your new muscle, so that your additional bodyweight justifies itself. As we get bigger and bigger, you need more and more training to make use of the extra bodyweight. It becomes harder and harder to lift 3.5x bodyweight, because the extra mass is not justifiying it's existence.

For the added mass of bigger lifters to be trained enough, to be efficient enough to pull 3.5x bodyweight, would take more time than I think we have in our training lifespans. If our joints, nervous systems and just the whole body could survive and extra few decades of training, I think it could be done.

The other consideration is the type of hypertrophy. Increasing muscle size can be through sarcoplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy. The former is an increase in cell volume, the latter is an increase in the size of the contractile elements in muscle. The latter will potentiate greater strength gains for obvious reasons. The former does help you get stronger as well, but whether the additional mass, M, will result in a muscle contraction 3M, remains to be seen. Bigger lifters will have more muscle but not necessarily all that muscle will be contractile elements.

I hope this all makes sense.
» 'Modern' culture and English (Go to post)01-06-2009 @ 16:05 
I totally agree, that song and the way people talk these days annoy me in equal measure. I'm trying to revise for my first set of finals at the moment and, thanks to the nice weather, all the f**king chav scum on my street are outside screaming and shouting at each other. The irony is, I'm working hard to get a good job and pay loads of tax, which just goes to funding these ar****les' lifestyles.
» cardio and squats (Go to post)01-06-2009 @ 11:00 
I train crossfit so I do a lot of conditioning (not really a fan of the word cardio, just implies sitting on a static bike for hours which isn't gonna do much for anyone). I'll typically take 2 or 3 movements and do a set amount of reps and sets as quickly as possible. For example, 5 sets of 5 Deadlifts and 10 Burpees, as quick as possible. A decent weight for the DLs would be 125kg.

Complexes are good as well. Do 5 reps each of DL, Clean, Push Press and Front Squat without putting the bar down. Work up to as heavy weight as you can manage.

Having started training at olympic recently, the strongman medley events are great conditioning. Just take 3 or 4 events and do them in sequence as fast as possible. One I did the other day was 5 rounds of: sandbag load, keg load, 60m farmers walk and 60m sled drag. This gases you pretty effectively.

If you want any of these workouts to try let me know. I have stacks of them.
» shoulder rotator cuff exercises (Go to post)30-05-2009 @ 10:09 
MattGriff said:
Simple really, just strap your cock on, leave your pussy at home, stick a bar on your back and bend you knees - shoulder ache will be long forgotten.

On second thoughts, do this. Will keep me in business in a few years time!
» Sunday Training @ Olympic Strongman (Go to post)24-05-2009 @ 18:36 
Is Olympic open tomorrow (monday) then? I want to head down but it's bank holiday so I thought I'd check...
» shoulder rotator cuff exercises (Go to post)24-05-2009 @ 10:13 
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_trainin...

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_train...

Eric Cressey has some useful stuff on sorting out banged up shoulders. Worth reading.
» Uni Courses (Go to post)22-05-2009 @ 21:48 
I'm doing medicine with an intercalated degree in anatomy and Uni of Manchester. We have some well-qualified people on here! Post-docs, PhDs...good stuff. Knowledge is power.

You are here: HomeForumJamie → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions