REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 109 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumumpalumpalifter → View All Posts

View All Posts: umpalumpalifter

» Becca on BBC news beat and radio one (Go to post)07-05-2018 @ 19:30 
I see many of the issues facing modern society here being used as justification.

It's easy to find an exception to the rule, typically it's an overweight person whose health markers are fine as justification that it's ok to be overweight and still healthy. Problem is the general reason MOST people are overweight is due to poor lifestyle choices with little exercise and poor eating habits. Finding young people who exercise, are overweight and healthy is not going to help those who struggle with weight and face life reducing conditions because of it -makes it far too easy to rationalise it away.

Saying 'everyone's overweight, so it's ok' isn't great either. If we swapped out being overweight which we know isn't great for us for something less emotive like debt we would more easily agree it's not good, if we said in the last ten years more people carry more debt and it's having a negative impact we would be more likely to take action.

Saying more people use gyms more often probably isn't that true when we look at the point of exercise - higher physical activity. We know due to modern conveniences and jobs we are less physically active. Many longitudinal studies estimate we expend around 150 kcals less per day now than back fifty years ago. Maybe a slightly higher percentage of people use gyms now (think it's still only about 15% of the population) but for the average person this will not equal roughly 1000kcals less per week expended.

Another study showed parents underestimated their child's weight 'problem' -why? Because they were overweight and thought it was normal.

Let's face it the population is getting fatter, whether it's the weight itself or the lifestyle that induces the weight gain it doesn't matter, it's still having a negative impact on health. People complain about NHS being underfunded -no it's overworked as we as a nation are doing things to add strain to it. Glorifying that it's OK to be overweight might be fine for the exceptional few but it's not going to help the current situation we face.

Should someone feel bad/negatively about overweight? No, but don't line up excuses which don't apply for the masses either.
» Impressive social media lifts (Go to post)20-04-2018 @ 08:52 
Mikeneto said:Biby 183kg x7 on log

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhw7GtXA1Eb/

Interesting that a one rep max calculator would put his max at 226 from that, would be probably be about right from the 220 training press we have seen
» WSM line-up (Go to post)10-04-2018 @ 10:40 
LessThanLuke said:
Nope. Lalas hurt his calf, Radz got hurt, Bish pulled out before the comp with partially torn bicep. I expect and hope Paul to get the call up!

Thought he said he pulled out of Europe's to be fit for WSM?
» Log lift championship - Leeds (Go to post)08-04-2018 @ 10:46 
The_Lone_Wolf said:
He is still vastly overlooked and underrated by many. Heís a class act.
As for Ed, I agree.
Heís now seemingly looking for big pay days to break records, not big titles. Canít blame him for this either.

Could be looked at in a different way -he is still contracted to compete, doing a single lift is less taxing on him physically and takes less time so more time for family until contract is up?
» Log lift championship - Leeds (Go to post)07-04-2018 @ 18:02 
Why I'd result sheet looking like it's already been done?
» Log lift championship - Leeds (Go to post)07-04-2018 @ 12:37 
drex50 said:
Actually things havent really improved. Hicks and Hall were this level in 2015. Radz was regularly hitting 2010 log since 2012.
Ive said it many times, over 220 lift is another level of strength. 220 might be fast but 230 still years ahead.
If this guys with split jerk make big log over his head i still dont consider him as valid lift.

Thought jerks were not allowed on log lifts?

If they are why aren't more doing it as seems a sure way to.add pounds with practice?
» Log lift championship - Leeds (Go to post)02-04-2018 @ 20:42 
billynomates said:Love how he says he has the strongest shoulders in American history. Obviously forgot about Jenkins.

But he does currently hold the American record - so officially he is right
» Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ? (Go to post)02-04-2018 @ 08:27 
Mikeneto said:Make that 700

"Serena Williams has hit back at John McEnroe after the tennis legend claimed she would be ranked at around world No. 700 if she played on the ATP Tour."

Heard an interview the other day by a coach who thought she would be top 25 -he made the claim she had a 300lb clean. Massively impressive but can anyone name whose twenty fifth in mens tennis currently?
» Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ? (Go to post)01-04-2018 @ 18:24 
PaulSavage said:
Mayweather has all the records and he's 150lb soaking wet.

He has the best record of beating every other 150lb guy -put him in with a bigger guy (not even top heavyweights) and he will probably be beat - same goes for every strongman, powerlifter, weightlifting etc. Size matters, ultimately you want to know whose the best full stop, not best within a ten pound range.

There's so many talented female,athletes out there but ultimately against the best men they won't win - therefore in sport you are making a concession and the comment of women's classes being there to appease the masses and increase participation is true - same as weight, masters etc
» Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ? (Go to post)01-04-2018 @ 10:06 
RebeccaRoberts said:Lets just say if he ever said that in my prescence it would not end well for him.

Its that kind of attitude thats holding back womens sports.

Chauvinist pig.

Think I must be a chauvinistic pig too. Luckily despite everyone trying to make prize purses equal the thing which is telling doesn't change -viewing figures. Look at Wimbledon, the two finals don't compare as people aren't as interested.

The only way to make things equal would be to only have one open class in all sports with winner taking all.

As soon as you opt for divisions, whether it's
*weight
You are automatically admitting you aren't the best. Sport in its basic format is always about finding the best - that's why the heavyweights in boxing take the biggest prizes.
» Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ? (Go to post)29-03-2018 @ 07:02 
Fatpete said:In my humble opinion a gentleman should not only play sport but he should play it in a sporting manner. If you cannot be open and honest about everything that you do then you shouldn't really be doing it.

Think it goes out the window when it's professional - if your livelihood depends on it then anything goes
» Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ? (Go to post)29-03-2018 @ 07:01 
KevC86 said:I dont see why you think Arnies reputation could be damaged because he used drugs?? Drugs are not against the rules in professional bodybuilding so why would they matter?

Read the ifbb rule book -'it actually states drug control in it as I had a disagreement with a naive bikini competitor who was using this to justify it being drug free.
» Impressive social media lifts (Go to post)28-03-2018 @ 08:51 
Mikeneto said:Z at it again...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg1oWzLBwVQ/

At minimum that is 210kg, which is great.

Is it me or does he never seem to lock out his right arm lately?
» BW Every minute for 24 hours. Can it be done? (Go to post)25-03-2018 @ 11:36 
unit94 said:It was at the start of one of the vids I didnt watch much, they held up a sign saying hes banked 5 reps and I was like nope that doesnt count

Don't most 24hrs records have scheduled breaks - pretty sure Guinness world records have rules like that built in
» Impressive social media lifts (Go to post)21-03-2018 @ 09:27 
SteBennett said:
Yea jerks are the log equivalent to sumo

If Z or Eddie jerked a 250 log would everyone feel cheated?

You are here: HomeForumumpalumpalifter → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2020 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto