REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 205 guests
You are here: HomeForumoggy22 → View All Posts

View All Posts: oggy22

» BSM 2020 (Go to post)10-01-2020 @ 12:04 
Looking at his training videos, Hollands looks to be in good shape - Overhead will let him down again though unfortunately but can see him in the mix in the other events - I think podium could be on the cards but realistically it should be Tom Stoltman winning this comfortably
» Xmas WSM 2019 (Go to post)10-01-2020 @ 12:00 
slimsim said:
I can't imagine Big Z beating any records now, let alone one which he did when fairly healthy and injury free 5-years ago. That 5-years makes a big difference once you pass 40.

He always just did enough to break the record though - I think he will have lifted more in the gym and he is a freak of nature. Think the 2 years not competing by then will do him good
» Xmas WSM 2019 (Go to post)08-01-2020 @ 12:45 
dannyboy73 said:haddnt watched the final only snipits until this week...

By the gods Special K is an overhead explosion.

THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT OF WSM IS WATCHING IT WITH FAMILY AND SEEING THE INSPERATION IT INSTILLS IN OUR LITTLE KIDS.

Interestingly, when I sat down today with my 5 year old Magnus and 4 year old Thor they didnt support the same boys as me.

I thought Thor would be routing for..Thor! however, he was quiet taken with big Tom especially his stone run and would not accept the end - result he decided young Tom was the winner this year and wanted to know where his trophy was Grin

Magnus..he just said he would go faster if he was there. oh to be young...Roll-Eyes

Special K was unreal on the overhead medley - popped them 60kg dumbbells as if they were 10kg ones and popped up the log in one movement - unreal!!! Be interesting to see if he could beat Big Z's log record - I believe Big Z is targeting a 2021 return and wants to beat his own log record
» Xmas WSM 2019 (Go to post)02-01-2020 @ 17:15 
PaulSavage said:
Pretty much all novikos deadlift reps looked like shoddy lockouts and he literally did 6 inch less than everybody else and in 6 inch better position. Why not just have a 2 foot long strap and lift the bar 2 inch if it's allowed? Everyone would do that if it was but it's obviously against the rules. He was clearly not stable with the dumbbell either, the only time he stopped moving for a a split second he was losing the dumbbell behind him so wasn't in control, that's why he had to walk backwards. This was the the same for all athletes, not just him, the rules are you have to have feet inline with the implement locked out and under control. For all Brian's reps he was completely stable because he has stronger core / more bodyweight.
Don't get me wrong as I'm a Martin's fan for sure and he did great on the deadlift and stones and was definitely in great shape but the contest was literally designed for him to win. Basically on his door step with all his best events at the best weights for him and they even put weak events or what they thought was weak events for who they knew would push him the most on those events. The 1st of 2 medleys they put on sand so the bodyweight of guys like Thor and Shaw would hinder them and they made he implements lighter to suit Martin's more. The overhead medley again they made light so it would suit Martin's more. They then startegicaly put the squat next, obviously for reps as Martin's is known to be very good at squat for reps but also because they knew it was likely only kila would beat him on the overhead medley and they didn't think he had a good squat so essentially Martin's was going last knowing the number to beat. They then put a grip hold event in because again Martin's is known for his grip strength and at that point they thought both kila and thor had weaker grips and would drop points, and they knew Martin's would win the squat so be out last knowing the time to beat. Also from everythimg seen on social media he knew the events well before other athletes, other athletes such as Shaw actually found out some of the events from watching Martin's YouTube. If you look back you can see he was putting big emphasis on squat, stones and grip for a number of months and then he was training the overhead medley with double dumbbells even. He obviously knew the events a long while before world's, maybe for several months (his training sure did fit the final events perfectly if not) and the other athletes were saying they didn't know the events even a month or weeks from he comp, Thor, Shaw etc
Again, I'm a Martin's fan, but that was a crock of s**t, there was almost no possible way he could lose.

Totally agree with all of the above. It was designed to take it away from the big guys (Thor & Shaw) maybe they've had enough of them dominating. Things like putting the loading race on sand doesn't help anything - how is that really testing strength by just making it more difficult for bigger men to run on? They wouldn't put truck pull on sand would they!!

the DL hold was pathetic in a WSM final - it should have been max DL or log in the final!

I hope next year they revert back to some of the old format - go back to 6 events, get rid of the playoff showdown which regardless of this DL technique, absolutely robbed Navikov of a place in the final - top 2 in every event and then loses after putting a 180kg atlas stone over a bar 13 times because the other guy is bigger and better at that particular event!! Pathetic!! That's simply a stamina thing and usually easier for the bigger man to pop it over the bar while a 'smaller' man has to struggle more to get it over each time.
» Xmas WSM 2019 (Go to post)02-01-2020 @ 10:48 
It would have been interesting if Novikov was in the final like he should have been. He would have been in the mix on quite a few events - possibly podium.

It's clear it's become more made for TV than ever now which is a shame. It should be 6 events in heats and 7 in the final - 5 events is not enough and why didn't they have any max lifts in the final this year? Either overhead, DL or Squat? they were similar events to the heats and I didn't think they were great either.

A bit of a changing of the guard going on this year - shame to see the older generation disappearing but the new generation are looking strong.
» Biz z out of Arnold's (Go to post)21-02-2017 @ 10:15 
Mikeneto said:Well if he did a 710kg yoke in training...Rumours of 210kg x4 on log...His squats looked good prior to him gaining lots more mass. If a two month injury is all, I hope to see him back and not retiring.

I hope to see him back too, just going to get tougher at his age to keep coming back after injury. This was his big comeback after virtually a year out. I'm hoping WSM is later in the year so he has time to recover for that at least
» Biz z out of Arnold's (Go to post)20-02-2017 @ 16:36 
Gutted he's out! Was looking forward to seeing what kind of shape he's in ahead of WSM later in the year.

I think this is probably it now for him. He's clearly getting hampered with more injuries now which must be down to his age and many years of competition. He's only human after all.

Time to retire me thinks.
» Possible Lifting Injury (Go to post)15-02-2017 @ 10:34 
Yeah I'm still going to carry on unless it become excruciating and will probably do more cardio and higher rep workouts for a while
» Possible Lifting Injury (Go to post)15-02-2017 @ 09:25 
As it happens I did go to the docs last night. Possible hernia but doc couldn't feel anything. Going to send me for an ultrasound and said to not do any heavy lifting until they find out what's going on Unhappy - training has been going so well this year too Unhappy
» Possible Lifting Injury (Go to post)14-02-2017 @ 16:10 
I thought about a hernia at first but I can't feel any kind of lump and without lifting anything it's usually fine which is weird. feels bit like a 10kg dumbbell is in there when I lift
» Possible Lifting Injury (Go to post)14-02-2017 @ 15:54 
Hi all,

Recently when I've been lifting at the gym I can feel a ball like painful lump like feeling on the left side of my abdomen around my stomach. I've noticed it for a few weeks now, if not months and seems to slowly be getting worse. Can only feel it when I lift or carry a heavy weight or occasionally when i'm sat down.

Anyone else had similar? Could it be I've pulled something and need to rest it for a while?

Cheers
» Britain's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)03-02-2017 @ 10:25 
Worlds Strongest Man is the only competition where the best doesn't win out of all the sports there are when a world championship is running!! It's always been like that and always will be!!

It's called the Worlds Strongest Man yet a fitter man wins - should be called Worlds Strongest Fit/Big Man!!
» Britain's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)30-01-2017 @ 17:18 
I see Eddie was modest as ever on twitter regarding his BSM win!!!
» Britain's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)27-01-2017 @ 09:55 
FAT_SAM said:
And the man BIG BRIAN SHAW

There are exceptions yes, but even Shaw isn't the best Deadlifter, Squatter or Presser in strongman! Shaw flys through anything where height is an advantage. I'm thinking, keg toss, stones, fingals, truck pull (not height I know but height = weight in strongman)
» Britain's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)26-01-2017 @ 14:21 
hixxy1985 said:
Being tiny
I'd say make shield smaller
Stone platform adjustable too
Then it's fair :-)

Swings and roundabouts though - it's easier for a smaller man, in theory to Squat and Deadlift as not as par to squat or pull. Plus longer arms for pressing you could say is a hindrance to a taller man

You are here: HomeForumoggy22 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions