REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 99 guests
You are here: HomeForumMJG → View All Posts

View All Posts: MJG

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)03-01-2016 @ 16:59 
Mikeneto said:
They've competed in 4 WSM against each other...Pudz finished ahead twice and Z finished ahead twice.

It's actually 5 times and 3 - 2 in Pudz's favor.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)03-01-2016 @ 16:57 
WILLSAN said:
as far as I remember it most who followed the sport closely felt that the ifsa championship was a much stronger lineup than wsm. these same discussions came up back then though as the ifsa shows werent as prominent as wsm. the difference was biggest in 2005, after the split, in particular.
wsm top 10 2005
1 Mariusz Pudzianowski
2 Jesse Marunde
3 Dominic Filiou
4 Jarek Dymek
5 Janne Virtanen
6 Tarmo Mitt
6 Ralf Ber
8 Don Pope
9 Dave Ostlund
10 Elbrus Nigmatullin
ifsa top 10 2005
1. Zydrunas Savickas Lithuania 103
2. Vasyl Virastyuk Ukraine 96
3. Mikhail Koklyaev Russia 93.5
4. Andrus Murumets Estonia 86
5. Raimonds Bergmanis Latvia 84.5
6. Phil Pfister United States 82.5
7. Vidas Blekaitis Lithuania 81.5
8. Magnus Samuelsson Sweden 69
9. Robert Szczepanski Poland 67
10. Travis Ortmayer United States 64.5
how many of the wsm athletes couldve cracked the ifsa top 10 that year? not many in my opinion.
its a damn shame guys like murumets, blekaitis and szczepanski never really got the recognition that they deserved.
but yeah, unless you knew about the split and got to see the ifsa shows on eurosport pudz would seem unbeatable.

IFSA was had undoubtedly a stronger field that WSM. However it's not quite as strong as it looks on paper in 2005. Remember a lot of those athletes were up and coming or in decline -

Koklyaev had never competed at that level before neither had Szczepanski.

Bergmanis was on the decline and Pfister had not made a WSM final in 4 years.

Blekaitus had come quite away short in his heat at WSM in 2003.

I actually think if I was pick the top 10 as they were in 2005 then it would probably actually be about 5 from each side.

I would agree though that the bottom few in WSM were not as good as the bottom few in IFSA.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)03-01-2016 @ 08:38 
AdamT said:Pudz came second to Z in 09. He beat Shaw, Terry, poundstone etc.

If my memory is correct, he was coming off an injury and most wrote him off.

Mariusz might not have dominated if Z had still been competing.

I'll tell you another myth. Z hasn't dominated WSM. Brian has been his equal the last 5 or 6 years.

Since 2010 when Shaw started to be a serious contender Z has won 1 Arnold's and 3 WSM. In that period Shaw has won 2 Arnold's and 3 WSM.

I believe Z to be the greatest ever which means Shaw has to be right up there as well. Part of what makes Z so great is that he has had to fight with two other all time greats in Pudz and Shaw.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)03-01-2016 @ 01:31 
Post Edited: 03.01.2016 @ 01:38 AM by MJG
WILLSAN said:
like I said before - pudz only dominated because of the split. look at the athletes who went to ifsa. would he have the wins he did with those guys in the mix?

He absolutely domininated a WSM final before the split like nobody else has ever done. A final that included Z, Virastyuk, Samuelson, Karlson, Girard and Bergmanis. Probably the best depth of any final ever.

Personally I think Pudz would easily beat Thor on events like Hussafelt stone or Conans. But it would be an unfair comparison because Thor rarely does that sort of event so probably rarely trains it. Just like it's unfair to compare Pudz 1 rep max on deadlift etc. Didn't he tie Z for reps in the final in 2009?
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)02-01-2016 @ 14:30 
Post Edited: 02.01.2016 @ 14:31 PM by MJG
AdamT said:My only fear is, Eddie getting too big and strong a bit too quick?

I have the impression he is going all out to win a trophy and then get out of the sport.

Donnie has mentioned this before. I have never seen an athlete get so strong in a short period of time. I can't see him having great longevity. Really hope I'm wrong. Love watching him compete.

I don't know about that. In terms of an actual competitor to win WSM his progression has been fairly slow. Thor made the final in his first year and podium in his second. Shaw also hit the podium in his 2nd year and was WSM in his 4th. Lalas came very close to the WSM win in his 3rd year.

In fact I think if Eddie does win WSM in 2016 the only person who would have competed more times in WSM before the debut win would be Z.

I actually think Eddie could very well win in 2016. Just has to have a perfect run through the 6 events.

I don't think Z will beat a fit Shaw at WSM again.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)02-01-2016 @ 02:10 
Just to point out that Shaw didn't need Eddie to beat Z on the stones. The difference between them was only half a point. So if Shaw did give Eddie the better tacky it wasn't out of self interest.

If Pudz was around now he would of trained for the current competition. His max log is low because he never had to do max logs in comp so why train it? He developed himself for the contest he was entering.

In 2009 he was very close to Z despite an injury. I see no reason to think he wouldn't have been able to keep up with the sports development like Z has.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)01-01-2016 @ 19:55 
Shaw a deserved winner looked like the strongest man out there.
» Britain's strongest man 2016 (Go to post)31-12-2015 @ 22:57 
Boar said:whats up with hixxy ? is it all over for the fella ?

also, Loz said in WSM (which was clearly just the other day) that he is knocking it on the head .... and whilst we are at it, did terry end up doing a GBPF comp ?

I believe Loz is down to compete at the Britain's so he must think there is something left in the tank. Hixxy has a back injury I believe and won't be fit for the Britain's at least. He was back training before that though.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)31-12-2015 @ 19:41 
Post Edited: 31.12.2015 @ 19:42 PM by MJG
Szymanski and Belsak would have made the final in any other group. Why on earth did they put two of the top 5 returning athletes in the same group?
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 19:56 
Double points what an absolute joke.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 18:39 
beza said:A bit similar to the Ronaldo/Messi debate. And roughly the same answer should apply.
Rather than who's best im just grateful to be of the generation who gets to see them compete, in the flesh at europes or on TV, and laugh in amazement at how easy they make things look.

Agree with this as well.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 18:05 
Robbo91 said:
I've thought of Z as the best because most strongmen consider him so and that's good enough for me, but to me Shaw is a dropped sandbag away from being 4-3 up on WSM titles not 4-3 down and I think he'll win a few more.
I wonder what he'll have to achieve in his career to ever be considered better than Z? I don't think some people will ever see it. I don't think logging 200kg and winning dumbbell events counts as not being able to press.

I think Shaw is now slightly better than Z. Shaw is slightly better at just about every strongman event except for pressing and squatting.

Its close enough though that Z can beat him some of the time on things like Stones, Truck, Yoke ETC. But it's only 2/3 times out of 10.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 16:36 
billynomates said:Did the young lad who came 3rd in Arnolds make it to WSM??

No. I think his Arnold performance came in after 4 Poles had already qualified. They probably didn't want another. I hope he's in the 2016 edition though
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 16:29 
To be honest Arnold's are so set up for Z I don't find it all that credible anymore. Sorry to sound like a dick.

I'm sure Hall will compete if invited. Should top 3 it really.
» Christmas is coming, strongman on tv (Go to post)30-12-2015 @ 11:05 
If most of the top guys are fit then its going to be very tight on who makes the final next year. There is now a big gap between the very top guys and the rest but below the very top there about 20 guys who are pretty even over 6 events.

Can't wait for WSM 2016.

12345678910 ... ... 4243444546474849505152

You are here: HomeForumMJG → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions