REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 191 guests
You are here: HomeForumAaronJ → View All Posts

View All Posts: AaronJ

12345678910 ... ... 1920212223242526272829

» Best powerlifting coaches ever? Top 5 list? (Go to post)21-04-2015 @ 13:24 
Post Edited: 21.04.2015 @ 13:24 PM by AaronJ
Thread needs pics.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/imagenes/18490778/Julia-Vins-te-p...
» BamBam8681's Workouts (Go to post)21-04-2015 @ 13:06 
BamBam, when I was a little younger, I was also very overweight, so I can appreciate how you feel, and understand where you're coming from.

I personally found that to shift that amount of weight, I needed a massive lifestyle shift, as I was quite sedentary at the time.

I started running every day, just making sure that I actually put the time in. At first, it was a slow half hour jog/walk. Over time I started to speed it up, and add more time, until I was running for an hour a day.

During this time, the fact that I was running daily made me think about my food intake, which I dramatically lowered.

I managed to lose 35kg in 12 months this way. All about perseverance mate.

Good luck!!
» Best powerlifting coaches ever? Top 5 list? (Go to post)21-04-2015 @ 13:00 
Funky_monkey said:Only people who are alive. Would you rather be coached by Malanichev, Sheiko etc., or Simmons and Tate? Carl Yngvar Christensen? Who would make you cream your pants?

Julia Vins
» Footage from my gym visit (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 17:18 
LOL @ my tagline.
» Britain's Strongest Teacher (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 17:17 
Nice axle. 120 overhead is a great milestone. Well done!
» best training or nutrition books you have read (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 17:15 
As an actual answer, I really liked Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik.

Brooks is a little crazy, and his programmes etc. aren't the best, but Dinosaur Training fired me up about lifting, and is one of the books that got me started.
» Need some advice on Strongman/Powerlifting (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 14:42 
Why confine yourself to either sport? Personally I found competing in PL immensely boring.

Pick the elements from each that you enjoy, and focus on enjoying your training.
» best training or nutrition books you have read (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 13:32 
Fazc said:
There was a style of training which got really popular around 2000ish called HardGainer training. The basic idea was sound, abbreviated training, sensible routines, focus on progression. The idea being we couldn't apply what Arnie and co did to our own training. Nothing hugely complicated.
But what started off as a good notion turned into a breeding ground for little b**ches whining and complaining about the 'genetically advantaged'. Initially it was pro bodybuilders, then after a while the training sort of self combusted and anyone and everyone who was stronger or fitter was put into this 'genetically advantaged' category. The famous example was Dr Ken, for a long time he was held up as a prime example of someone the Hardgainers could trust. When his video came out of his 400x20 Squat he was trashed by the Hardgainers 'we would break our knees squatting like that!'.
Nowadays the forum is inhabited by a bunch of complete and utter pussies who almost daren't do anything for fear of overtraining and it not being Hardgainer enough.
What your quote described was the exact viewpoint of one of these pussies.
The reality of the matter is that every strong lifter I've talked to, has taught me something. Nuckols has said he's in the process of dropping weight (he's dropped 20lbs so far) while maintaining strength so should be commended not ridiculed.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree. Particularly about the forum Roll-Eyes

I just think that there are lots of strong lifters who are strong despite the training they do, not because of it, and that doesn't necessarily lead to them becoming good coaches.

For example, I remember reading an AMA on reddit with one of the top strongmen (possibly Loz). They mentioned that the first time they ever tried to deadlift, they hit 240kg for something like 12 reps. Already that would put them in the top 2 or 3% of lifters in the world. BUT... after that first workout, although they were immensely strong, they probably wouldn't be a great coach, because they haven't experienced the struggles that every other lifter goes through.
» best training or nutrition books you have read (Go to post)19-04-2015 @ 11:16 
Fazc said:
Here's the thing with that quote. It's nonsense.
He didn't hit those numbers after 3 years as a teen.
The fact he can now hit those numbers doesn't make him stupid, this is the most idiotic Internet argument I've ever heard. People like this guy who wrote this seem to think strong guys, really strong guys are just another breed of human. That they are strong just because they are. In reality every really strong guy that I know knows a hell of a lot about training. Every single one.
You don't get that strong by being stupid, it's a pathetic hater argument.

I disagree. Take someone like Guy Djedje (lifts at my gym). The guy was breaking records within a year or so of picking up a barbell. Immensely strong guy (300 squat/dead, 200 bench). He benched 190 within a few months.

Does that mean he knows a lot about getting strong? No. The likelihood is that everything he did worked from the outset. He's never had to overcome any obstacles etc.

IMO the strongest people are often not the most knowledgeable. The other thing is, Nuckols doesn't even take his own advice. He recently wrote an entire diatribe about how more muscle is better etc. and how all the olde real powerlifters trained like bodybuilders and were so much more awesome because of it. Yet Nuckols has a beer belly, 15 inch arms, and doesn't look like he lifts.
» best training or nutrition books you have read (Go to post)18-04-2015 @ 19:01 
glen_danbury said:
rationale for the greg comment? was looking at some of his site and seems interesting

Copied and pasted from another forum;

"Nuckols lifted bigger after 3 years of powerlifting as a teenager than 99% of the people on the planet. (755 squat, 475 bench press, and 725 deadlift) He's only had to struggle through minor issues. And all drug tested.

So...here you have a guy who is built for the powerlifts, basically. He's a bit Asbergers-ey, I'd say similar to Lyle, and fails to see the issue when people don't do well on his programs.

He says some s**t both about bench form and squat form that doesn't jive with logical thought...i.e. arms should be perpendicular to the body (and ironically, in a recent bench vid, he looks just as conventional on a 400+ raw bench as anyone else)

So the combination of

1) never had to struggle for strength
2) hyperfocus
3) the arrogance of the young, strong and uninjured

makes you have to filter his s**t pretty hard."
» best training or nutrition books you have read (Go to post)17-04-2015 @ 17:30 
Don't get anything by Greg Nuckols.

Get The Keys to Progress. That was a solid book.
» Footage from my gym visit (Go to post)17-04-2015 @ 09:26 
Wayne, whilst I enjoy your posts I truly don't believe that anyone in this day and age can't afford a basic good quality digital camera. They cost like £20.
» Let the volume do the work (Go to post)16-04-2015 @ 23:38 
Post Edited: 16.04.2015 @ 23:38 PM by AaronJ
Week Five

Bench Press: 110kg x 30 reps

Deadlift: 220kg x 10 reps

Dips: +35kg x 10 reps

Pull Ups: +10kg x 10 reps

Cutting it there. Going to spend a week playing with the slingshot, and doing some weightless dips/pull ups and light deadlifts. Will aim for some PRs after.

Also used the slingshot again today:

Close Grip:

100kg x 10
120kg x 5,5
130kg x 2,2

All very easy. I want to try to work up to a 150kg slingshot bench.
» Footage from my gym visit (Go to post)16-04-2015 @ 23:28 
This shtick got old a long time ago.
» Let the volume do the work (Go to post)16-04-2015 @ 00:36 
Got given a slingshot today for my birthday. Went to try it out:

Bench: No Slingshot

100kg x 5
110kg x 1
120kg x 1

Bench: Slingshot

100kg x 13
110kg x 6
120kg x 5