REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 149 guests
You are here: HomeForumjwp → View All Posts

View All Posts: jwp

» Figure 8 straps !? (Go to post)10-01-2015 @ 11:30 
Post Edited: 10.01.2015 @ 11:31 AM by jwp
Never used them but I don't think it'd be too tricky to make your own pair at a custom size - seatbelt is well cheap from a scrappy, or webbing from a climbing shop/ebay if you prefer; then use a sailors awl and bricklayers line to stitch them together however you like - probably cost a tenner or so plus a couple of hours if you're a complete needlemong

Or get the webbing, mark it up with pen or whatever how you want it and take it to some sewing shop, although I'm not sure how strong their stitching would be
» Squaddies? (Go to post)07-01-2015 @ 20:36 
Just make sure to fit a decent height/width restriction then, I've seen some drive throughs you could park a bus sideways in
» Squaddies? (Go to post)07-01-2015 @ 14:19 
Bobbypalmer59 said:Yeah I'm in too. 24 cdo engr regt Chivenor, North devon. Although not for long as it's crap and I want a better quality of life and will be walking the streets as a civilian in October this year!

I'm not sure male prostitution is all sunshine and rainbows like in the movies, live your dreams though I guess
» Squaddies? (Go to post)06-01-2015 @ 20:25 
bigwmd said:
Where are you based mate? You are eligible to compete in our Forces Strongman comps as a member of the Reserves

Portsmouth, but I live in basingstoke so I don't get down too often - tbh I mostly catch them over in tidworth for trade and pirbright for shooting.

Is it Wednesday afternoon stuff mostly, or are there weekend comps?

Are there association/club fees?

Can I get paid, or at least claim fuel? I went to a navy powerlifting comp a few years back out of my own pocket but duty rumour is it counts as duty if it meets some (mythical) criteria
» Squaddies? (Go to post)05-01-2015 @ 15:52 
Did nearly 9 years reg, now I'm just a dirty remf stab. Reme too, I guess we are 2nd only to rlc for closet athletes, eh?
» Colars (Go to post)01-01-2015 @ 16:20 
Basingstoke ok? What sort of collars
» Where can I buy uk size 2 oly shoes (Go to post)16-12-2014 @ 22:49 
Update: to put my money where my mouth is (and curiosity/stingyness) I bought some bowling shoes off ebay for 99p + post (which clearly didn't cost what they charged, it said on the f**king label!) and gave them a whirl - no major difference from my dowins. The heel is slightly lower, the shoe itself has no padding, just the leather, and the heel cup thing doesn't go so far up which for me felt slightly like my heel was sitting against a flat face instead of q snug concave (although maybe if you have achilles problems that might be a good thing), and the leather soles seemed slightly slippy on my cold concrete garage floor - lifting on a platform might not go well! Other than that, the laces tightened plenty which offset the lack of a strap and the eyelets would take loads (*cough* dowins).

Oh yeah, they look snazzy as f**k too.

Overall, not a bad option for lifting shoes, especially if you want a moderately low heel-toe angle or have achilles problems, and given the size of bowling compared to weightlifting, should be far easier to pick up some for peanuts, as a spare pair or to dip your toe in the water with a different heel (in case you don't want to take your best romaleos to the cobbler without testing first)
» Saunas (Go to post)14-12-2014 @ 19:11 
Post Edited: 14.12.2014 @ 19:18 PM by jwp
I think the gist is that because hard exertion (high force or power especially) create an acute inflammatory response in the 'damaged' tissues, ice helps minimise the hystamine induced swelling (by constricting the blood vessels, preventing the passage of erythrocytes into the interstitional fluids) so helps speed recovery/prevent unecessary movement limitations while the injured tissues are healing (the swelling gradually reduces, allowing for gradual return to movement) until a point somewhere 24-72hrs after the acute response began when heat would actually help promote recovery by increasing vasodilation and speeding the nutrient delivery/waste removal processes in recovery. Or something to that effect, it's been a while since I read up on it.

In reality, unless you are an elite athlete on a very tight training/competing schedule, it won't really matter that much - like a guy warming his tyres with f1 blankets before his sunday jolly in his mgb - technically useful but effectively useless. More important, if you aren't properly injured then just do whatever makes you feel nice and ready for the rest of your day/job/family, whatever you do after lifting.

Edit: also, the majority of enzymes in your body (metabolism, anabolic/catabolic etc blah basically what makes your s**t work properly) become more effective as they warm due to heat/energy and all that, up to a point slightly warmer than 38 degrees (or thereabouts, somewhere slightly over ideal internal core body temp) where they begin to degrade and don't do f**k all - which is really dangerous, hence hyperthermia being really deadly just a few degrees over 37 (i think coma and death are 39 and 40, whereas you can go much colder and not edge death so easily, or so I recall). Maybe random work fella means something like that; or maybe he's just parroting some s**t he overheard at the local running club?
» why are fat guys stronger? (Go to post)11-12-2014 @ 16:39 
I heard the police are hot on bugtusslers after yewtree and everything.
» any advice on how to make a car walk? (Go to post)09-12-2014 @ 18:23 
Buy the fiesta, then take it's doors off.

Failing that, try one of those little tykes cars, I bet there'll be loads with one wonky wheel for cheap about 2 days after Christmas.

Failing that, get some clown trousers/horse fancy dress (something with suspenders (not those sort you dirty bas***ds) and fill the legs with concrete, or soil if you want to play 'the great escape' simultaneously while getting strong).

Failing that, I reckon welding up a rectangle of scaffold with a leg/plate pin at each corner, and fitting 2 straps across the middle for the shoulder harness might be easiest, if not for the national scaffold-miners' strikes of '14. Might be better to fab one up out of hens teeth and rocking horse s**t these days.

New idea - head up to Edinburgh or any other wannabe respectable city centre of your choice, and set up a rickshaw taxi but yoke it up on your shoulders instead. Or give piggyback rides to howling shebeasts if your nearest city centre is newcastle.
» why do 'bathroom attendants' exist? (Go to post)07-12-2014 @ 16:31 
Who'd buy a drug user? Unless you've just watched rocky 3 or 4 and want to fight someone, but you have little actual ability so want a relative pushover (to keep in the cupboard ready to go), I can't see the market supporting such a niche product. Good luck, but I'm out.
» Where can I buy uk size 2 oly shoes (Go to post)07-12-2014 @ 16:26 
Bowling shoes (the old fashioned sort with the leather/wood soles) are pretty close to so shoes but for heel height and a strap, might be worth a shot if they're cheap enough?
» why do 'bathroom attendants' exist? (Go to post)07-12-2014 @ 08:38 
unit94 said:My only exchange with one of these guys

As I enter

"Alright big man"

"Alright mate"

As I leave

"Alright big man"

"Alright mate"

Is this the sodomy that was mentioned earlier?
» why do 'bathroom attendants' exist? (Go to post)06-12-2014 @ 19:12 
Drunk people are overly generous and f**king love lollipops?
» Interesting article on PL and PEDs (Go to post)03-12-2014 @ 21:10 
Guys, f**k all this 'optimal programming' bulls**t - just take, like 1 ped then watch the gains roll in for the next 6 years until you are on terry Holland's level. And get a shampoo sponsor deal too, obvs.

You are here: HomeForumjwp → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions