Wednesday 8th January 2014

Trained at home

Deadhang Pull-ups:
Working sets:
Bwt x8. x8. x8. x8.

Single Arm Barbell Press:
Working sets:
20kg x4R/4L. x4R/2L.

Left deltoid, I believe in particular the rotator cuff was hurting considerably. Stopped here. First time single arm barbell pressing and it went better than expected. I am sure it will help with balance, co-ordination and stability.

Plank:
Working sets:
Bwt x1min. x1min. x1min. x1min.

Very easy. Will add time or weight on back on next occasion.

Hanging Knee Raises:
Working sets:
Bwt x12. x12. x7.

Will add in some rotator cuff training very soon and take a break from overhead pressing movements for a short while.
» Funky Monkey's big smelly log..... (Go to post)08-01-2014 @ 20:42 
Good to see your log on here Yaman, will read it in depth when I get some time.

What is the 'BTN' push press?
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)08-01-2014 @ 20:37 
dannyboy73 said:Congrats on the clean pbs.

Keep working the 5s and the 3s for power!!!

Thanks Danny. Ok, will follow your rep recommendation.
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)07-01-2014 @ 20:46 
dannyboy73 said:Good stuff.

Cycling your clean and press would speed up the progress. have you thought about
5-3-1- method?

Best wishes

Hey Danny boy,

Yes, I considered to incorporate the clean separately which will bring up my confidence in handling greater weight. I have not thought about that particular method. I am not sure single max lifts would be beneficial at this point as I need to increase my endurance and develop technique.
I am just starting to get in to the strongman game so I am reading and learning as I go. At the moment I am not following a particular set routine and picking out the most relevant full body exercises related to explosive strength and core stability.
Currently reading 'Never Let Go' by strength coach Dan John which is really helpful. More reading to do!
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)07-01-2014 @ 20:34 
Post Edited: 07.01.2014 @ 20:37 PM by MuscleDemon
Tuesday 7th January 2014

45° Incline Barbell Press:
Working sets:
70kg x5.
60kg x5. - Paused reps.
62.5kg x5. - Paused reps.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:
Working sets:
15kg x8. x8.

Power Clean:
Working sets:
60kg x5.
65kg x3. Personal best.
67.5kg x5. Personal best. x3.

First time specifically training the clean. I want to be able to FTOH 75kg for at least a few reps before March.

Overhead Squats:
Working sets:
30kg x8. x8.

Barbell Hip Thrusts:
Working sets:
40kg x8. x8.

First time hip thrusting, didn't feel right. I reviewed instructional videos to find the elevation could have been higher. To revisit and review.
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)07-01-2014 @ 20:16 
Post Edited: 07.01.2014 @ 20:17 PM by MuscleDemon
Thank you for the positive comments regarding my FTOH. Personally, I find that it's not good enough yet and will seek progress.
» Guidance with floor to overhead press technique. (Go to post)07-01-2014 @ 16:31 
JamieG said:No resting on head rule is silly.

I don't believe the head to be evolutionary designed to manage a load bearing down on top of it and it would be injury prone to do this.

It would be hugely irresponsible for the organisers to allow this in the rule.
» Guidance with floor to overhead press technique. (Go to post)07-01-2014 @ 16:27 
Lewisg said:You need to hold the weight at the top longer and fully extended with your feet in line. Work on your strict press and build strength in triceps which really helps with over head.

Thank you for confirming the rules unit94 and Lewis. I can now continue the exercise more confidently and strive to improve it.
I will incorporate some upper chest and front delts for drive off the shoulders and triceps for lockout ability. Overhead squats I am sure will benefit also in firming the lower back and core stabilisers for overhead lifting.
» Guidance with floor to overhead press technique. (Go to post)06-01-2014 @ 19:13 
Here is a video of my first attempt at this exercise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nxaEqTYfns

I feel that I am not locking it out for long enough and my ability to utilise leg drive needs development.

I had a few questions related to a strongman event:

Do you have to firmly lock the bar out and wait for a 'down' command or is simply locking it out quickly for a moment enough to pass a lift?

Are you allowed to lift your feet off the floor when cleaning the weight?

Are you permitted to jerk the weight Olympic style?
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)06-01-2014 @ 19:08 
Saturday 4th January 2014

Deadlift:
Working sets:
120kg x3.
140kg x6. x6. - Chalk used.

Floor to overhead press:
Working sets:
60kg x3. x3. x3. x3.

Feeling more confident with this exercise already, held at the lockout firmly this time. Will go beyond 5 reps and reach 8 before increasing weight.

SLDL:
Working sets:
35kg x8.
40kg x8. x8.

Decline Sit-Ups:
Working sets:
5kg x8. x8. x8.

Dumbbell Side-bends:
Working sets:
17.5kg x6.
20kg x6. x6.
» Strongman training commences! (Go to post)06-01-2014 @ 19:01 
Post Edited: 06.01.2014 @ 19:05 PM by MuscleDemon
I have been part of this forum before and return under a new guise as this community has experienced and knowledgeable strength athletes. Your input and criticism will be invaluable.

A venture in to the realm of strongman commences!
My first amateur strongman contest will be early this year. The category is under 90kg bodyweight, therefore I will likely be the lightest man in the field. I considered last years results and surprisingly I find I may present a decent first showing and I will do my best to be in contention. I let my ego free to the wind and it will be an exciting and very fun event regardless of placing!
I understand I am far off national qualifying levels and my long-term prospects are not compelling considering my short stature. The contest will serve as a starting point. The experience and opportunity itself means everything.

Training specifically for strongman will provide my training and lifestyle with greater purpose and will heighten the enjoyment of going to the gym and eating.

Competition is likely to be in March 2014 but the exact date could be subject to change.

Last years events 'London's Strongest Novice 2013': (should be similar).

Under 90kg contest.

Event one: 160kg deadlift for reps in one minute.
Event two: 75kg Floor to overhead press for reps in one minute.
Event three: 67.5-90kg stone to shoulder for reps or heaviest weight wins over reps.
Event four: 90/100kg Farmers/Duck Walk fastest time.
Event five: 15kg plate hold as long as possible.

The anticipation of being the lightest competitor will not perturb me and I go forward confidently.
I am comfortable and very competent with deadlifting and pulling. My weakness and great trepidation is in pressing ability and prolonged grip or carry strength.

Friday 3rd January 2014

Evening bodyweight: 59kg. (depleted and dry from lack of dietary intake since new years eve celebration).

Floor to overhead press:
Working sets:
50kg x3.
55kg x3.
57.5kg x3.
60kg x5.Personal best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nxaEqTYfns

I usually strict press and it was a peculiar change to attempt incorporating leg drive. I need continued practice in leg drive and to hold the bar at the top for a little longer in anticipation of the "down" command.
Experimented with a belt around 50-55kg sets but it felt restricting making it cumbersome and agility was lost. Will continue beltless training.

Plate Hold:
Working sets:
5kg x25 secs (wrongly timed).
10kg x30 secs.
15kg x15 secs.
10kg x36 secs.

Very difficult! Previous contest competitors were reaching the minute mark with the 15kg plate hold. I will develop and this will improve.

Standing Barbell Front Raise:
Working sets:
22.5kg x6, x12.

12345678910 ... ... 4849505152535455565758

You are here: HomeForumMuscleDemon → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions