REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 165 guests
You are here: HomeForumJoe_MF → View All Posts

View All Posts: Joe_MF

12345678910 ... ... 3233343536373839404142

» meat free High protien foods? (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 21:04 
This: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-tuna-steak/

is a very nice tuna meal which uses orange juice, which I followed but the tuna can get a little dry sometimes. Bit too much prep for my liking though. And too many ingredients for a student to bother with Embarassed
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 20:57 
unit94 said:I watched a video yesterday with Chad Smith, Brandon Lilly, Mike Tuscherer and afew other guys talking about how unless your already really strong you should just do the basic lifts well and often.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=DkTiq...

That should work

very informative thanks
» A way to see who has quoted you (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 15:33 
Is there a way on the forums to see who has quoted you or replied to your threads? cheers
» what did you have for tea? (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 15:29 
satay chicken w/ brown rice, broccoli + added chopped pepper in the sauce
» meat free High protien foods? (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 15:28 
JackRevans said:
iv never understood why people blend tuna with fruit juice. can anyone tell me why please? Happy

You can marinade tuna with fruit juices and its surprisingly tasty, not sure about how blending it up will make it taste- maybe just to aid digestion as a liquid meal. The fruit juice will provide vitamin c and sugars as well as lowering cortisol (which inhibits insulin) which suggests it may be good post-workout.
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 13:00 
ok, the general consensus is that its too advanced for a beginner lifter, and so I will switch to a Starting Strength program and follow the progression rules on that.
It also seems like no-one has pointed out anything from the program posted, so when I come to use an advanced program, if my weak points are the same, I will probably use that.
cheers
» random disclosure thread (Go to post)03-06-2013 @ 09:58 
I dislike going out & drinking when I have a gym day or am recovering (every day) but am pressured into it by friends and hate myself for it
» First powerlifting journal (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 20:45 
Post Edited: 03.06.2013 @ 13:52 PM by Joe_MF
I havent started the program yet but thought i'd post todays workout up because it was interesting for me (hopefully for you too)

Deadlifts
1x6x70
1x5x110
1x3x150
1x3x160
2x3x162.5
1x3x165

Used a thicker than usual bar which I think put me off a little bit. Seems like my 1rm for deadlifts will have increased when I test it again. Previous pr is 170. Feel like 175 would be fine.

My shoulders were forward for most of the 160+ sets so hoping power cleans will help a little with this. Also felt my back rounding on 165 so perhaps should have done 3x3x162.5 instead. Others also commented that it was rounding for that set.

Lat pulldown

5x4xplate12
5x1xplate 11

Pulldown machine has plate numbers instead of traditional weight numbers, which is annoying but can show the progression on here nonetheless. No lat pulldown on Starting strength, and I feel this is a weak area so might replace chinups with this or pullups once in a while.

Chinups
2x5 (with assistance bar). Also a weak area, feeling tired by the end of this, and my hands were so sore, even with chalk.

A good workout overall and about to eat as I am starving!
» First powerlifting journal (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 20:39 
Post Edited: 19.06.2014 @ 15:27 PM by Joe_MF
» what did you have for tea? (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 20:22 
chicken korma with parsnips, a personal favourite.
» meat free High protien foods? (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 20:19 
Ive found the following to be good, and i'll suggest where they can be used in a meal for some quick ideas. As a student im always looking for quick meals that can be done without much washing up. I have sampled all of these and found them nice.

Tuna ~25g protein - Tuna w/ mayo, chopped pepper + cucumber
Egg (free range) - Omelette with your choice of filling
Greek yoghurt 150g ~15g protein (whilst not extremely high in protein, can be used with other protein foods) - Greek yoghurt w/ strawbs, nuts (also protein)
Cottage cheese 1cup ~25g protein- Have it on a baked potato, its surprisingly nice.
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 20:06 
unit94 said:
If you stall you're probably best off changing the rep range instead of jumping to another programme, doing pause work is a good idea though, have you been gaining weight cos that will really help your strength levels.

Yeah definately want to keep the pause work, its just about where to incorporate it to get the most benefit from all the training sessions. Ive gained a little bit, didnt track my weight accurately at the start but have seen 3kg increase recently, and im eating a lot more so should see the scales moving up soon. Certainly my legs have increased in size a great deal
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 19:50 
unit94 said:Whilst I'm sure you will get stronger I think it's over complicated especially for someone that hasnt been strength training for that long, I think you should be doing heavy bench squat and deadlift all in the same week and instead of having a dynamic day just make every rep as fast as possible which will improve your speed. You could do the pause work after the main lift of the session so you could still work on your weak points, also some higher rep assistance work just to build some muscle and possibly help recovery. Having said all this there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are alot stronger and more experienced guys on here that may be better to listen to.

Yeah, still in my first year of lifting for squats and deadlift. I had a program running which was pretty much a heavy day for each lift with assistance afterward, like you've suggested, and felt that it was good but stalled at 140kg squat, couldnt get out of the hole. Maybe if I go back to that now I will make progress again
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 19:44 
milsy said:that looks like a very well thought out program

but I am just going to give you my opinion seeing as you are quite new to powerlifitng I would spend a few months or so running a very simple program of squat/bench/deadlift in the same session and do this 3 times per week start the reps high and the wieght low increase it week by week and lower the reps as you grogress you should make some great progress on this and have plenty of time to dial in your technique on the lifts its boring but will build a solid foundation

the program you have written out there would be great for when you stall on the program I have suggest

like I said tho its only my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt theres far better lifters out there than me

Thanks, I spent a fair bit of time thinking it through! Sets and reps can change though depending on whats required.

Do you think that when the weights get heavy, 3 times a week would be too taxing on the cns? or provided there is 1~2 days rest would it be ok?
» First Powerlifting program (Go to post)02-06-2013 @ 19:22 
Hi all, this is my first post on here. Looking forward to discussing ideas and hopefully help others in the future.

I am starting powerlifting with the hope of lifting at a meet within a year, just for experience, and lift at regional meets.
I have a training program that I'd like to run by you guys to see what you think. I may also post some videos to discuss my form.

Training background:
I have been going to the gym for about 3 years, not really followed any serious programs, just a chest/back/arm weekly split for a while and not training legs or deadlift. (the biggest mistake ever as I now know)
Now I have started training seriously as I have access to equipment for squats and bench press. Been squatting,dl and benching seriously since this september.

Current stats: see profile

Now to the training program:
The days are as follows. (sets x reps)

Day1- squat (dynamic)-pause squats (3 second)5x4@60%, box squats 3x4@60%
Day2-dl (heavy) - heavy triples and doubles, lat pulldown 5x5, close grip pullup 2x5
Day3-off
Day4- bench (dynamic) - pause (3 second) bench 6x5 at 60%1RM, overhead press 65% 3x6
Day5-squat (heavy) - heavy 4x4 after 2 warmup sets, 2x5 hamstring curls
Day6-off
Day7-dl (dynamic) - 5x4 deficit dl's @60/70%, bent over rows 3x5, grip work
Day8-bench (heavy) - 80% @ 3x5, 85% @ 2x3, close grips 2x5
Day9-off
repeat from Day1.

I will increase the weight on my heavy days to keep making progress, maybe 2.5kg and try and get the reps for a few sets.

The purpose of this is to address weak points, namely at the bottom of the lift. By adding dynamic work that focuses on those parts, I am looking to improve the weak points and thus overall lifting stats.
The reason I havent combined days like dynamic squat and heavy dl is that after trying to combine, I found that my dl would not be my best lfits and i feel 'better' doing them on separate days. Obviously if you think it is better to combine you can suggest this with reasons.

-Do you think there are too many days in between the same lifts there?
I usually like to leave a few days between heavy squats and deadlifts, and also between the heavy and dynamic efforts.
-I followed this last week and improved my deadlift performance +5kg in the triples after doing the dynamic day, squats improved by 5kg for 1 set.
-Im aware that if my lifts are improving then it suggests that training/nutrition is working, but if there are better ways to train, please comment.
-I am interested in what you guys think will be the outcomes of this program - if you believe it isnt good, could you suggest adjustments to it?)

Thanks Happy

12345678910 ... ... 3233343536373839404142

You are here: HomeForumJoe_MF → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions