REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 178 guests
You are here: HomeForumsamue1son → View All Posts

View All Posts: samue1son

12345678910 ... ... 8283848586878889909192

» Journal of a nobody (Go to post)08-07-2013 @ 12:32 
So yesterday I hit the gym. Plenty of food, plenty of rest and a good slow warm up into my squats when all of a sudden, I'm nearly haemoragging from doing 175 for singles. My squat has gone backwards. WTF? My back has been rested, no problems - I did my arms the day before but how on Earth would that affect me?

The only plus point from my hour in the gym was that I managed more reps than usual (after doing my singles and doubles).

Have you ever experienced regression of weight lifting?

If so, what were your reasons?

I'm looking for a 200 squat before the close of year. WTF man. Advise me Unhappy
» Broken Ring (Go to post)08-07-2013 @ 12:15 
Dear Goodness. What horror have I just read?

What makes it worse is that I experienced something similar but could never figure out how I got the injury in the first place.

Could have been making the rent I guess.
» Beef & Spuds (Go to post)04-07-2013 @ 15:23 
Extra lean beef mince and tatties, 3 times a day.

Will it make me a monster of strength?

Discuss?

I'm finding extra lean beef cheaper in general than other stuff and I love it.
» Consideration of long-term health (Go to post)04-07-2013 @ 15:20 
It's a funny old thread this. I was coming on to post something to do with food but this caught my eye first.

Strength in general has a bad public perception doesn't it; that we always have to be ready to drop dead if we are big and have a belly.

I owe it to my wife to be as fit and healthy as possible for as long as possible.
We don't have anybody to rely on and possibly won't have children so if I'm a 130kg 75 year old retired strongman and she is a 5ft4 40kg small framed 73 year old woman - assuming the care system is 10 times worse by then, it'll be hard work to see out our lives happily without cause for concern.

"help me out of bed love".

If I start competing and enjoy it, I'd stay big until I was too old to compete and then start dropping weight and massively increase cardio.

I don't know if it will work how I hope but I intend to be one of the fittest strongmen around when I finally get to competition, to make it easier when it's all over.

How does somebody like Glen Ross do these days? And how will he fare in 20-30 years from now?
» PB's without a spotter? (Go to post)03-07-2013 @ 16:29 
Post Edited: 03.07.2013 @ 16:29 PM by samue1son
General_ill said:What's a spotty ?

It's a pimp term for when you stuck your thing inside one of your hoes knowing full well that she had the clap.

"I just risked giving myself a spotty"
» PB's without a spotter? (Go to post)03-07-2013 @ 16:25 
kirkynick said:
Sure you're not thinking of the Russian guy who dropped the bar in a comp and died?

I recall watching that video and reading the news article. At first I thought it was an out of proportion "In Russia" news but the video showed a deep compression when that weight dropped. I felt so bad man, so so bad after watching that.

Suicide grip too wasn't it?
» PB's without a spotter? (Go to post)03-07-2013 @ 15:12 
I GUESS this applies mainly to bench press, given you can drop a pull or squat, although squat might be taken into account.

Do you guys ever do such things as trying for a max bench or squat without a spotter?
If so, have you had drastic results?

I mostly train on my own - there are occasions I've been forced to call over a 9 stone kid to spot me as I'm a long wolf in a council run gym.

I do and have squatted without a spot for max effort which was probably stupid given the rack I was in.

I want to hear horror stories!!!
» Wiegieboard gets his grunt on. (Go to post)03-07-2013 @ 10:09 
Being lanky, I find that back strength is the ultimate source of required strength for MMA or wrestling.

That said, if I was from Glasgow, probably being able to drink 23 pints of cows piss and take a punch to the face would be far more important by the sounds of things.
» Long Term Goals? (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 16:56 
Mark said:How about instead of just intending to compete, have a goal to be successful at Englands? That's the next step after completing the "competed at" goal Happy

Lol - sounds like a riddle. Is it a riddle?
» Wiegieboard gets his grunt on. (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 16:55 
Weig... you still post on CW? You still training JJ or anything?

Anyway - didn't realise you had a journal thingy.

Swimming is a great idea; I wish the whole world would learn the Glasgow front crawl.
» Long Term Goals? (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 16:51 
I'm 32 next week. I've only been strength training with any sort of realistic routine for a short time.

My long term goal is to compete at a high level. What a high level is to me; would be something like a national strongman comp. Win or lose, to get there ever would be immense. I'm fit and although a late starter, I don't care for believing that age is a hindrance. Ask Od Haugen or Mark Felix.

My short term goal is to master a lift of anysort; at the moment it looks like it will be the deadlift. Even if my numbers aren't huge, just to be respected for lifting well where other people might look and go "that's how to do it".
I.E - Mark Felix deadlift.

When I can't lift anymore because I'm too bloody old, the ultimate realisation would be that I had little injury or minimised all chances of injury by training smart and only hurting myself when I'm balls to the wall in competition.

I like this thread because I realise how new I am to all of this and I have the beginners excitement I guess. I had that in combat sports and lost all sense of any goals at one point so maybe it's just my honeymoon period.

p.s - I would totally bone Kelly Brook. Is that a goal or a delusional thought?
She trained at my kickboxing club many years ago when I lived in the same town. If only she would just return one of my 500 unanswered emails...
» Journal of a nobody (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 14:41 
Plus I'd totally bone Kelly Brook.

Just thought I'd throw that one in there.
» Journal of a nobody (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 14:40 
I've given myself an aim, for the beginning of the new year = a 600 total.

I've made the choice to go back and stick with a 5x5 for at least the next 4 months and last night, although not an awesome achievement by anybody's standard, I wacked through my workout last night with ease with my deadlifts fast and furious and with only 60 second break between sets@ 140kg. I felt I should have done sets of 160 though. My squats at 130 for the same rest period and strict press for 80's.

Is the 5x5 all it is cut out to be or what? It feels just enough not to kill myself and get it all done within 45 minutes with a decent warm up.
» Will's Strongman Log (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 14:03 
Nice man Grin

Need to get that profile status updated to a 600 total soon... Wink
» leaning back (Go to post)02-07-2013 @ 14:01 
This is a good thread.

I also have found a lot of lean with no issue at all.

I'm 6ft6 but my torso is very long, my legs and arms not so much.
I thought I would have issues given lower back curvature - I agree with the deadlift theory, it's about having the muscle to support in the first place before pressing/pulling without injury. I think it takes a lot of overall strength in the first place to support whatever odd position you are in.

Kinda like hitching in the deadlift or curving in the shoulder press.
Simply being strong enough for the exercise might not be enough as far as I can tell, you have to have great supporting muscle groups.

12345678910 ... ... 8283848586878889909192

You are here: HomeForumsamue1son → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions