REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 379 guests
You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts

View All Posts: dave_rogerson

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

» Self Teaching The Olympic Lifts (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 16:11 
little_a said:
Whole sessions of bar work and getting the mat on the floor and stretching off for 20-30 minutes while I'm watching telly. Don't matter who you are mate or where you've come from, it has to be done.

This all over. Leave your ego at the door with weightlifting. Bloody hell I learnt that quickly. Just approach it with the mindset that regardless of what background you have, you are still a beginner.

One thing I think is really, really important is to just get yourself mobile and flexible in the right areas as quickly and as best you can (maybe you already are!). You will have yourself a ton of heartache and frustration if you can achieve a good overhead squat with your arse down between your legs and the bar behind your head with an upright torso. Work on ankles, hips and shoulder mobility whenever you can, its so important. If I was to start again, I think that my first priority would be to be ensure that I could achieve the correct positions (at the start and the finish for each lift) and work from there. I think most people teach a reverse-chain method now starting with work from the hang and gradually going down to the floor, so being able to put your body where it needs to go is pretty important from the get-go.

Do your squats and deads or whatever nice and heavy still to train strength but just see the weightlifting stuff as practise and add weight slowly over time as you get more competent.

There are some really good lifters here as you know and I'd seek advice and tips whenever possible.
» Olympic Weighlifting (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:40 
adillon10 said:
One of the main reasons I'm so excited for it mate and working with the likes of yourself, Cyril and Dave Hembrough!! Amazing opportunity to learn Cool

Cheers for the compliment mate. Little does everyone know that its all just a blag and I'm making it all up as I go along.

Wink
» Olympic Weighlifting (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:36 
adillon10 said:
Cheers mate, there are always a few technical flaws that creep in every so often! But when pure strength has been the main focus my lifts have both shot up, something to consider for the future... I hope I get to work with you on a course soon mate, couldn't believe my luck getting the email through offering me a tutor role!

Yeah I saw on FB. Nice one mate and awesome for you. Yeah that would be ace wouldn't it? I like doing the courses, you get to meet some really nice people.
» My art is Weightlifting - This will be my masterpiece (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:35 
AndyCoupe said:
Cheers Dave. Think it was just a technical off day, I'm hoping! That is exactly what was happening to me today, my hobbit feet folding over! Need to keep my knees out more on the receive!
Got some gainz recently and now I'm gonna knuckle down with some good volume at 90-95%.

Yeah you've definitely been aboard the gain train as of late. Footwork has been a problem for me, that's for sure. I did quite a few power jerks a little while back and I swear that doing them improved my snatch by making me be aggressive with moving my feet to the side.

I think I'm gonna have a go at doing some light snatch balances for the same reason, but to also help with mobility, maybe as a warm up or something. One of the gyms I go to has rubber matting on the platform and when I first started I ended up going over my right ankle because I was awful at moving my feet. Unhappy
» Olympic Weighlifting (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:27 
adillon10 said:
Thanks Dave, I think they key to getting better at the Olympic lifts is just to not do the Olympic lifts lol......

Lol, maybe. Saying that though when I saw you lift in the BWL course your lifting looked really good, so you probably don't have a laundry list of technical things that you need to iron out in order to improve (so just get stronger!).
» My art is Weightlifting - This will be my masterpiece (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:25 
Hope forearms are OK mate.
How come the arms and feet were a bit daft on snatches? A technical thing or dont you think you had enough pull? Interested to know because I had that a couple of weeks ago when I tried to do 100 from the deficit. For some reason whenever I caught it my left elbow was friggin bent and the amount of times I've ended up tripping over my hobbit feet is laughable when I don't move them properly.
» Olympic Weighlifting (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:12 
Nice one mate, the time away from the full lifts and focus on strength work may just pay off by the looks of it!
» Bruised and Broken (Go to post)26-05-2014 @ 12:10 
Better one today, so much more mobile, b*****d neural tightness.

Paused snatch + Hang snatch
40 x 1 + 2
50 x 1 + 2
60 x 1 + 2
70 x 1 + 2
75 x 1 + 2
77.5 x 1 + 2
80 x 1 + 2
82.5 x 1 + 2

Power Clean from blocks (above knee below mid thigh)
60 x 3
80 x 3
90 x 3 x 5 (same as full cleans yesterday)

Front squats
60 x 3
90 x 3
110 x 3
117.5 x 5 x 4

Snatch grip deads from mid-shin
100 x 5
140 x 5
150 x 10
142.5 x 10

Done. Everything felt a ton better than yesterday. Snatches were actually sharp and to depth today, front squats I was able to blast out and the deads felt really easy.
» Bruised and Broken (Go to post)25-05-2014 @ 12:29 
Had one of those sessions where you question why you bother. Woke up and my lower back and hips were in bits and I just could not loosen up regardless of what I did. My whole body felt locked up and completely immobile. Spent all Saturday sat down marking exams, so I am putting it down to that. Squats were particularly s**t today and I had to cut my sets short.

Paused Backsquats
60 x 2 (felt fine)
100 x 2 (compression was awful)
120 x 2
130 x 2
140 x 1
147.5 x 1

Squats
137.5 x 6, 6 (wanted 1 x 10 but they felt Like was going to injure myself)

Snatch from high block/hip crease (nearly)
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 3 x 5

Clean from block (lower thigh, above knee)
50 x 3
70 x 3
90 x 3 x 5

Jerks,
50 x 3
70 x 3
90 x 3
100 x 3 x 4

Jerk Dips
160 x 5 x 5
» The SMALL Workout log. (Go to post)24-05-2014 @ 15:28 
Yeah no probs mate, can't blame you.
» The SMALL Workout log. (Go to post)24-05-2014 @ 10:44 
Think I may try to organise a little comp at Atlas in Alfreton/Derbyshire towards the end of the summer if you (and anyone else) fancies it?
» Youngy's Training Journal (Go to post)24-05-2014 @ 10:42 
Definitely moving well mate, not really lost much at all with the time off from the lifts.
» Meat sweats (Go to post)24-05-2014 @ 07:05 
little_a said:
daytime eating is protein and fat based, but there is a daytime diet there. I take the point.
is this harmfull then, or as a current training aim is to lose BF is the thermogenic effect a desirable thing?
I'm ok again now btw (as in stopped the mad sweats)

Not harmful at all mate and perfectly normal. Lets say you ate 2,500 calories two days in a row (of exactly the same foods) except on one day you spread it out over 5-6 small meals and the next day you spread it out over 2-3 meals. If we were to map out the thermic effects of the two days and compare them, they would be the same. The only difference would be that 1 day has 5-6 smaller increases in energy expenditure and the other has 2-3 but the sum of them would be equal.

Main thing with losing weight is to ensure you are in an energy deficit and that the eating habits you have adopted fit your lifestyle and eating preferences over the long-term (if you plan to maintain the same habits and weight loss).
» Meat sweats (Go to post)23-05-2014 @ 20:37 
dr_hazbun said:
Yeah and this is amplified by the fact that you're eating nowt during the day then having the majority of your calories in one evening meal.

Definitely. A larger meal will also have a higher thermic effect.
» Meat sweats (Go to post)23-05-2014 @ 20:32 
Post Edited: 23.05.2014 @ 20:36 PM by dave_rogerson
Yep, most likely it will be dietary induced thermogenesis, or the thermic effect of feeding: an increase in energy expenditure due to the energy cost of processing the nutrients for use (oxidation, etc.,) and storage, most commonly its experienced when people eat a meal with lots of protein and carbs.

I'll edit and say that because there is very limited capacity to store protein (virtually non) and carbs (not that many) these nutrients are oxidised readily. One of the theories behind low carb ketoegenic diets is that because protein has such a high thermic effect, it will not contain 4 kcalories per gram

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions