REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 147 guests
You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts

View All Posts: dave_rogerson

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

» Ermm here goes (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 13:47 
unit94 said:Hi Dave thanks for that you're right I'll stop using the blocks for the main work, on Monday when i was snatching the bar was too far away from me and it was always abit too far forward in the catch position and I had to keep stepping forward to recover so I'll concentrate on bringing it into my hips and staying on my heels. I'll start warming up with snatches aswell. Thanks again mate, Aukhadov video is perfect!

No worries mate. Its like any other skill, lots of quality consistent practice is what is needed to get better. Do it any time that you can.

From what I've seen, lots of people's problems come down to a poor bar path. The first pull is so important mate. An inch or two out at the beginning of the lift will have you running all over the platform to chase the bar. Get that pull right and you will be throwing up scary weights.
» help with depth (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 13:15 
If it is a mobility issue that is stopping you getting deeper then you may need to work on the length of your hip flexors, adductors, TFL and glutes to enable you to get deep into hip flexion with your knees out (externally rotated at the hip)

I have had a ton of mobility issues over the years and when I powerlifted, I absolutely struggled to get depth due to poor hip mobility. I now weightlift and can snatch and hit bottom and even do a squat jerk if needed.

Several things have helped me develop this mobility:

1. Stretches. Not exactly en vogue these days but stretching made the biggest difference for me. Static stretching where you enter end range and hold for time really works. You need at least 1 - 2 minutes in this position(s). I also like to contract and relax here too. Frequency is important. I stretch 2 x per day and before I lift. The stretches allow me to hit better positions, so I have no problem with this.

2. Strengthening exercises for specific muscle groups. If you need to abduct and externally rotate the femur in hip felxion then you need to train it. Clamshell exercises, the abductor machines in the gym and band exercises all work. Do them. Regularly. Like stretching, consistency is important. Poor mobility may be as much a muscle weakness issue as well as a muscle length or motor control or soft tissue or mechanical problem.

3. Full ROM lifts. Nuff said. Paused lifts work great.

4. Soft tissue work. Foam rolling, yada yada yada.
» Tom's training log... (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 12:59 
Tom_Martin said:
Well....I certainly CAN lol I just
a) don't like it
b) find it f**ks my training up the next day
c) don't think it's necessary for getting stronger.

I completely agree and I know better than do it, but I cant help myself. lol, I sound like an addict. I have a really noticeable sticking point on my squats where the bar really slows (I am a strange build - weirdly long femurs. I am pretty fast out of the hole but then enter a whole world of slow-twitch s**t where even light weights seem to slow considerably.

I should really lighten up and focus on speed.
» Build Up 2 The Commonwealth Games 2014 - Shaun Clegg (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 11:54 
MarkClegg said:Dave - You speak sense you obviously know your bananas ..

Smallsy - You normally talk utter s**t so well done on your last post, it at least made sense .

Cheers Mark. However I do lift about the same weight as a prepubescent schoolgirl at the minute, so not sure how valid my points should be.
» Tom's training log... (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 10:24 
Why is it impossible for you to grind a lift?
» Ermm here goes (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 10:09 
Post Edited: 01.08.2013 @ 10:16 AM by dave_rogerson
Look at this video of Apti Aukhadov and try to visualize/think about you doing the same when you pull. Notice how the bar comes back into his hips when past the knees before he does the second pull. You need to do this. The bar stays close, he does not fully straighten up and the bar comes in. His weight is where it needs to be for him to use his hips.

» Ermm here goes (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 10:04 
Having watched you lift mate (meant to say this last time I saw you snatch), the main thing you need to work on is your pull from the floor - hip. If I were you, I would really focus on getting in quality reps in with the full lifts frequently and doing block or hang work for hip speed/strength a bit heavier to get some heavier stuff in until your pull becomes more consistent.

Its just a matter of timing and making sure that you do not rush your reps and lose your positions mate. The main thing I've noticed is that you sometimes straighten up a bit quick and put yourself too far over the bar and onto your toes as you go into the second pull. This pushes your weight forward and is why you lose forward when you try to catch. When this happens, the temptation is to pull the bar back a bit with arms, creating too much tension there. You don't want this to happen.

You need to feel your weight (and the bar) come back off the floor and feel the bar coming back into the hips before you do your second pull. Its not a case of just straightening your legs but getting your legs/knees back (or back and to the side as I have to do)and feel the bar begin to come into your hips. When you feel this, you know you will hit a good lift.

Every time you come to Hallam, doesn't matter what you train, just warm and do some snatches to get that feeling. You will notice that this something I pretty much do myself. Any time I can, I will do a few snatches to feel the correct bar path/line. Once you have this feeling, you can take advantage of your hip strength. Snatches are all about feeling the bar. Doing this also helps loosen you up and shake off a few cobwebs before you do your other training but it is all practice. Then on the days that you want to do only your weightlifts, do some work from the floor again but get in your block and hang work in if that is what you are doing.

You got tons of strength, as you know, but you also have a lot of speed mate. Not just for someone your size. You could be a very, very good weightlifter if you have good, consistent coaching and lots of practice.
» Build Up 2 The Commonwealth Games 2014 - Shaun Clegg (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 18:10 
MarkClegg said:Well Dave .. Your spot on .

Shaun is actually a 160kg Cleaner off his 210kg PB Squat which again is around a similar level of percentage without donning the calculator .

Now i worked out a 228kg Squat will enable Shaun to Clean 175kg so this is the aim

NOW as for the "Heavy Work Load" on his back .. Its not so much just for a big strong back and large Deadlift . I`m a firm believer in that Squats Aid Deadlift and Deadlift Work Aids you Squat .

At my best i was a 270kg Squatter BUT when me and Tom put together our Deadlift program with tons of Deficit and Partial Pulls my Leg Strength increased massively to a 305kg Squat even though i was squatting once a week .

There are many many examples of this being the case .

Smallsy - In terms of them percentages holding up . the Stronger he gets at Squat and Deadlift they may slip a little but they will be ball park .

Whatever happens in training happens but what matters to me is that he needs a 290kg total to qualify so its really important that we hit 310kg

Interesting that your squat pushed up your dead and vice versa. I bet you pull with a ton of leg drive. I used to powerlift but always had to dedicate a lot of effort into squats. I actually used a lot of paused variations to build my squat. Deadlifts come naturally with having long arms and short torso. Squats are/were my worst lift.

If he was cleaning 160kg off of 210 then yep, his efficiency remains really high. He simply has to get stronger in the right muscle groups/movements then and it will carry over big time. Really interested to see how this unfolds because it is clear that he has a ton of untapped potential there. Looking at his body structure he has quite a long torso (relatively speaking), so it stands to reason that focusing on strength in the torso and hips will be really useful for his development.

And the fact that guys like you and Delroy dedicated training time to deadlifting and lifted the weights that you did (and do) says it all to me. Deadlifts are undervalued in weightlifting.
» Build Up 2 The Commonwealth Games 2014 - Shaun Clegg (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 17:59 
unit94 said:Do you work at Hallam mate? I'm guessing your talking about Chris?

Yes mate indeed I am, you would know me as soon as you see me. I've spoken to you a few times.
» Build Up 2 The Commonwealth Games 2014 - Shaun Clegg (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 14:29 
Post Edited: 31.07.2013 @ 14:30 PM by dave_rogerson
To me (for what its worth, I am new to this sport) Shaun looks technically sound, as Mark mentioned. With a 180 squat his 120 snatch represents a shade over 65% of his squat, which indicates that he is an efficient lifter. Looking at the videos, I think he was actually good for a little more on the snatches. He is capable of pulling more, that's for sure.

Now I am not an experienced coach by any means, so take my opinion for what its' worth (I am basing this off what I have seen from a couple of the lifters and coaches that I know and what I have read) but when you have someone who lifts a large percentage of their max squat, a coach may program training with the goal that the lifter needs to get stronger in the squat (weightlifters tend to use the squat as a main measurement of leg strength). If the lifter can maintain that efficiency at a higher strength level then only good things will happen to their total.

This is the same as a lifter I am helping/friend of mine. The guy snatches 120 (missed a British record of 124kg at 69 recently) and cleans 150kg +, yet squats about 172.5kg.

Shaun has got great timing and is rapid under the bar. Stands to reason that leg and back strength should probably be a big priority.

Would love to see how you have planned his training Mark.
» A doctor's routine (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 09:13 
dr_hazbun said:
I think these early sessions will have to stay for a while. It's that or very infrequent exercise and I go bonkers if I can't train. Got to do something. I have a good home coffee machine and have been resorting to the double espresso on waking. It does work.

Sounds good to me. Do you eat before you train at all? (the nutritionist in me is kicking in here).

Maybe just an idea to change your focus for a little while. Still train, but maybe try a different training style or concentrate on something other than maximal strength; something that is less time consuming. Its cliche, but a change is often as good as a rest.

My work gets manic during the autumn and winter so I plan for it. This means less volume (because with the stress I don't recover) and a bit of a different focus. So instead of banging out set after set on key lifts I plan my training to concentrate on like a certain rep PB (a bit like Wendler's 5,3,1 etc.) or something like fat loss or mobility.

The goal is to pick something that improves my long-term progress but is workable and manageable given the time constraints.
» 'YouTube Warrior' (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 09:06 
MarkClegg said:Dave ..

Yeah I can do that but ill probably train my arse of for a month now and hit 245kg :-) This is my life !

As for Shaun you are bang on mate .. His diet has been historically horrific !! It's one of the most important factors of his lack of progress IMO .

I will keep it in mind thank you Dave but currently I've got a company who deliver his food at the gym each day at 11:30am . Everything is labelled up at what time he has to eat it etc . This is the type of guy were dealing with :-)

It's a warm lunch
Pre training snack
Post training recovery drink/ food
6 o'clock meal
Next days breakfast

Cost me a fortune !

These are the lengths I've had to go too in order to try and sort this problem out . If you written him a perfect diet unfortunately he wouldn't go and do it . One of his biggest problems is his smoking ! It kills his appetite .

No worries mate, its really good of you to be doing that for him. As I said mate, happy to help in anyway, so even if its just case of looking at what you boys are doing at the minute or just offer a bit of advice if needed, its no worries at all. Just message me or get my email or something. Its no problem for me.

He is young isn't he though mate? When I was 20 I was drinking like a fish and eating McD's. I was also stronger then so what the f**k do I know

Happy
» A doctor's routine (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 08:44 
If you keep training at that time you will eventually adapt to it OK. Like anything else, it takes a little bit of time to break yourself in. I regularly have to train early too when work is busy. Caffeine is also a life-saver for these times. I also sometimes break my sessions into 2 small units. So, a quick session before and after work of about 30 - 45 mins.

Coincidentally you may also find that training before work actually makes you a little more alert and productive during the day too.
» 'YouTube Warrior' (Go to post)31-07-2013 @ 08:33 
MarkClegg said:I trained . 1st time in a fortnight .. Why ? Dunno . This happens every now and then .

Squat

Power Snatch

120kg

Clean

175kg

Deadlift

270kg

Clean and Strict

110kg

So you don't train in two weeks and still smash out an easy 240 squat, 120 power snatch and 175 clean and jerk?

You make me hate myself.

Also, I met Shaun a while ago at a BWL "squad" and I offered to help him with his diet if he needed/wanted it (I am a nutritionist based at a uni in Sheffield). I know you are coaching him so thought I'd let you know that my offer still stands. Happy to help out in any way that I can.

Nutrition is probably one of those 1% change things. He may be doing just fine as he is, some people don't really need much help or advice whereas others need a bit of help here and there, especially if making weight is an issue.
» Crossfit Games 2013 Froning Wins 275K (Go to post)29-07-2013 @ 18:27 
Post Edited: 29.07.2013 @ 18:29 PM by dave_rogerson
There has been some clever, clever marketing with crossfit since its' inception.
Think about it, they have made an activity relatively accessible (in the sense that you don't have to be a man mountain to do it; gym fees are not cheap), made it an in-thing to do/cool with its' somewhat anti-establishment image and created a sense of community with the use of group exercise and an online presence. The variety of the training has something for everyone and keeps things fresh for those folks with short attention spans. People are also congratulated for just taking part, they also openly celebrate nationalistic pride: servicemen/women get discounts on membership; they have brands and clothes that are associated with the "sport" that people can buy and wear, etc. The crossfit gyms are not just a place where people go to exercise or "workout", they go to be part of a group or an identity.

Importantly, with the games specifically, they make the damn sport and SPECTACLE, which instantly makes people take notice. Compare that to the British Weightlifting Championships this(and most) year(s): a small venue in a difficult to find place; little to no marketing for it and no celebration of the athletes taking part there. Who the f**k wants to go to that? How does that inspire others. I mean, we have lifters that hold national records (and broke records while there) and competed in the Olympic games that you can go and watch for free. Show some recognition to these people and make them the focus of your competition. If you want to inspire others to take up the sport they need role models. Make the lifters into role models and make the championships an event.

End of rant.

EDIT: This goes for the other strength sports too, having competed in the odd one and been to watch a few. Strongman is better than the others for this, but still, you get the idea.

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions