REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 564 guests
You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts

View All Posts: dave_rogerson

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

» Tom's training log... (Go to post)03-08-2013 @ 18:48 
Tom_Martin said:I didn't train today or yesterday, and now my legs are f**kING KILLING ME.

NEVER AGAIN.

Weird you say this. I feel AWFUL after a day or two off. joints stiff, sore and creaky. First session back after a day or two off never feels great for me. I always feel slow and the weights heavy.

Yeah didn't mean that to be a negative influence on your upcoming comp. Get some ibuprofen down if needed.
» Youngy's Training Journal (Go to post)03-08-2013 @ 16:04 
bas***d strong second pull mate! Also +3 on those powerjerks. They just look right for you. Arms lock no problem.
» Tom's training log... (Go to post)03-08-2013 @ 14:06 
I have no idea what the f*ck happened in the last page of this thread,although I did cry with laughter after I saw the pic that Mark posted, but best of luck in your competition mate. I suspect you are good for a goodbit more than you think you are.
» Tom's training log... (Go to post)03-08-2013 @ 10:57 
Cool, ta.

Guess deadlifting quite the f***load serves as enough stimulus. lol.
» Tom's training log... (Go to post)03-08-2013 @ 10:53 
Tom,
Do you ever do any rowing exercises or work for your upper back at all mate? Never really seen you mention doing any in your log.
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 20:29 
Currently been doing this.

Sunday: volume-focus (so lots of sets and reps, 5s on squats, 2so 3s on weightlifts). Aim is to not miss a lift and get decent work in. I feel s**t on Sundays because I train at 8am so I want a session to set me up

Squats, Snatch, Clean and Jerk, RDL and rows

Monday: Light/ speed work, weight is light, trying to move my body as fast as I can really. Presses have been volume/work in at a certain rep range, not particularly hard, just work.

am: Snatch from hip (warm up), Power snatch, Overhead press

pm: Power clean + Power jerk, Bench, a few other random bits

Tuesday: Moderate weight, moderate volume; less total reps than Sunday, higher weights, singles on weight lifts focusing on consistency (so 10 + reps at a certain weight). No misses allowed. Squats and deads are for 3's

Squats (front or paused), Snatch, Clean and Jerk, Deadlifts

Wednesday:

Off/recovery

Thursday: Same as Monday but heavier on the presses, aim to hit a certain RM with backoffs.

Friday: Heavy, work up to a hard weight. No backoffs, low volume.
Squats, Snatch, Clean and Jerk and Snatch-grip deads.

I do the odd fluff exercise here and there. I've done this for a few weeks to get used to the lifts after having to take time off because I broke my wrist and damaged the median nerves. Has worked well, I am more consistent with my lifts (which was the goal) and they don't look too bad. I progressed the deadlifts too quickly though, so my lower back now hates me and I am having to take a recovery week of sorts.

I would consider varying the lifts a bit but feel like I need to do the actual classic lifts at the moment to get better. No point doing blocks or hang work if I cannot pull in the right line.
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 19:07 
unit94 said:I guess an ideal week would look like:

Monday snatch clean squat
Tuesday deadlift shoulder pressing and accessories
Wednesday 1 bench press and accessory
Wednesday 2 snatch cleans squats sometimes pulls aswell
Thursday 1 snatch, back work, curls
Thursday 2 strongman events
Friday strict press then snatch, cleans maybe squats
Saturday squats and other leg work
Sunday strongman events.

Pfff, who needs rest

Tongue
» random disclosure thread (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 17:47 
Protein is over-rated.
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 17:34 
One thing that has always worked well for me, more so than just trying to increase the weight on the bar, is to add reps to a rep PB. So, make a current 3 RM into a 4RM or 5RM. I find it easier to to use rep or volume increases to drive up a max lift.
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 17:31 
JackRevans said:im doing a modified version of the Abadjiev method by which I do a solitary strict press once every 10 days with a barbell made out of argos catalogues

I give you 5 weeks till you overtrain.
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 17:31 
JamieG said:Doing what Tom Martin told me to do works well basically do a heavy low rep set then back off with reps. For each lift multiple times per week.

(I hope this was the plan anyway lolol)

My problem is i get distracted but within 4 weeks of starting this again i have trebled my old squat PB of 180 easier than the single was.

Good work mate!
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 15:57 
Tom_Martin said:A lot.

Indeed!
» How do you train? Past and/or present (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 15:54 
Not been on the forum long but I've noticed that we have some strong, strong people on here so I thought it would be good if we had a thread where you could post either a) how you train now, or b) stuff that has worked for you in the past.

You can learn something from anybody I believe, so it doesn't matter if you are not particularly strong at all, if you have some valuable experiences then please share. Anything is fair game; strongman, powerlifting, weightlifting, etc, etc. The only provision is that this should be something you have done and not just read about.

Probably the best training I have had in recent memory (before I did a powerlifting comp) was with really high frequent lifts. I'd train 5 days per week, squat every session in some way, bench 3 x per week and deadlift 2 x per week. Not every lift was heavy. I would alternate between heavy and light lifts depending on the lift for the day and play the numbers by ear. The light stuff was for technique/practice/etc. I squatted high bar but competed low-bar at the time. Reps were between 1 - 5 and sets varied depending on how I felt/ what I programmed. I would often work up to a weight and do some quality back off sets here and there. I quickly found that for each lift I would have a minimum weight that I would hit most days of the week. I noticed this more on the squat. I did not do back off sets for deadlifts.

I decided to give it a go not because I'd read about it online, although this was when the Average Broz videos started to pop up, but that I noticed that if I went to the gym one day and did a few warm up sets on the squat, hit a comfortable weight and then squatted the next day, the next day's session would feel awesome and I would usually pb.

For me, this put kilos on my lifts and developed technique.
» Build Up 2 The Commonwealth Games 2014 - Shaun Clegg (Go to post)02-08-2013 @ 07:51 
Glen et al,

You certainly can do both mate and I think that Mark is spot on. I am like you, started off with bodybuilding, got into powerlifting and then discovered weightlifting (in my 30s - FFS!).

Now I am no great (or even passable lifter, yet), but I've learned a s**t-load since I started this. Both from experience, because I have done everything wrong, and because I have done all sorts of weightlifting coaching awards since I started.

Mark is spot on. You will have to dedicate a ton of time to this but if you are diligent, it will pay off. The best piece of advice I can give is to get yourself mobile in your hips and shoulders and get yourself someone who knows what they are doing and listen to what they say and have them watch you, a lot. I don't really have a coach but I am analytical as f**k. I film every lift of every session and watch them all for feedback to see if I am monging at all. Get good motor patterns and get a ton of consistent, quality reps in with a weight that 1) allows you to lift properly(not too heavy) and 2) Is heavy enough to place the stress where you need it (not too light). It will come.

And Mark, not blowing smoke up your arse (or Shaun's, but maybe I don't need to if he smokes), but I swear he is looking sharper off the blocks already, he is turning the bar over rapidly there!
» Ermm here goes (Go to post)01-08-2013 @ 13:57 
unit94 said:
Yeah when the bar starts out in front it normally doesn't end well! Are you training today mate?

Yeah will be in today when it opens at 4. I will be on the platform with the mats. If you go on the one next to me I can keep my eye on you.

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions