REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 215 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts

View All Posts: Fazc

12345678910 ... ... 485486487488489490491492493494495

» Internet ads getting even weirder (Go to post)28-08-2007 @ 21:30 
http://www.leanmusclefitness.com/
» Different Powerlifting Feds (Go to post)28-08-2007 @ 21:24 
Originally posted by Titch...
I mean, there'll be people in your class in some feds squatting almost double what you do, and no one can say you've got a poor squat.Confused

Iain has a very good Squat.

Simply put, the amount powerlifting equipment adds to your lifts is played down a LOT.

That's all i'll say on that, as its usually an even bigger can of worms than belts! Happy
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)28-08-2007 @ 19:53 
Post Edited: 28.08.2007 @ 19:55 PM
Give it a go, its a nice exercise.

Because you're on an incline, you have a longer range of motion, so that forces you to use less weight and strengthen the triceps without putting as much strain on the joints as say a regular close grip, or a partial one.

I'm all for avoiding unneccesary strain on the the joints. Seems like that was one of the few things holding me back last year.

More shoulder involvement as well, and like i've written before, shoulder strength is the key to a Bench for me.

About the Benches yeah, still a fair way off my maxes. I was doing singles with 135kg last year and made a 137.5kg at one point too. But heyho its moving in the right direction, so I can't complain. Cheers lads.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)28-08-2007 @ 17:38 
Tuesday 28th August

Bench Press - 115kg x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ... 95kg x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Cable Rows - 170lbs x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8

Close Grip Inclines - 70kg x 5 ... 60kg x 6, 6, 6, 6

Curlzz - 15kg's x 10, 10 ... 10kg's x 10, 10, 10

Knocked another 5kg off the Bench.
» the perfect squat NOT (Go to post)28-08-2007 @ 17:34 
Any reason that guys Squatting in just his kegs?
» SugdenBarbell.co.uk - one year old today! (Go to post)27-08-2007 @ 17:51 
Good job lads!
» Favourite strength athlete of all time? (Go to post)26-08-2007 @ 14:09 
Originally posted by Baz...
Talking about strongman,
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/news/2007/08/24/72206...
Its on this week.

Thanks!
» Brooks Kubik (Go to post)25-08-2007 @ 15:35 
Aye, as good as the original Dino Training book was, after all the dust settled and everyone was screaming at "bunnies" about lifting in "chrome & fern land" it was very debatable exactly how much of what he preached, he actually practised.

Then a few years later his credibility was shot again when he teamed up with Matt Furey and started these new hyped up courses. If you remember, Furey is the guy who released that training course after 9/11 trying to capitalise on the events of that tragic day. (http://www.mattfurey.com/defendyourself.html). Anyone who tries to make money out of such tragic stuff like that... well, words can't describe.

Now, Kubik is in business with this guy.
» Favourite strength athlete of all time? (Go to post)25-08-2007 @ 15:11 
Favourite to watch lift was Savickas, amazing athelete in every sense. Even when Pudz was on top, I had a feeling Savickas would overtake him at some point. Dimas too, a guy with no limits who really enjoys his lifting.

In terms of stuff i've read, Pat Casey and Doug Hepburn are my favourites and have influenced me most in training and mentality.
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)24-08-2007 @ 15:31 
Still feeling exhausted, took it relatively easy today. Joints were still feeling pretty stiff too.

Friday 24th August

Light Presses, Chins

Bench Lockouts - 110kg x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Taking a look at possible causes for the fatigue, my protein intake seems to be the culprit. I'm going to bump it up closer to 300g a day which is what i'm used to in hard training. Rebuilding strength as fast as I am, is putting a lot of strain on my body.
» Nice deadlift and my new (old) gym (Go to post)24-08-2007 @ 12:55 
Post Edited: 24.08.2007 @ 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rob...Olly you know the dumbells start at 10 kilos right?

Oh he went there!!
» Muscle Beach! (Go to post)23-08-2007 @ 20:22 
Hey! As I wrote in your log, Brighton from about the 10th. So, yeah if you're in London, i'll try and come over. Or if you fancy a night out in Brighton (I hear its fun) you're always welcome once i'm settled down and all that.

I'm in the middle of that painful process of choosing accommodation. Choosing housemates is such a gamble!

About the training, wanted to write I havent been this tired after a session for months. I've been dragging my feet all day.
» improving, chins- (Go to post)23-08-2007 @ 20:16 
I'm going to echo whats been suggested about adding weight early.

Get some weight on even if you're doing only 1-2 reps with it, that whole area responds well to a little added weight.
» How fast are you? (Go to post)23-08-2007 @ 16:01 
I could out run Steven Seagal.
» What do belts do? (Go to post)23-08-2007 @ 14:48 
Post Edited: 23.08.2007 @ 14:52 PM
Originally posted by Olly...Faz mentioned using a seat to do presses as a way of getting the pressing muscles stronger for a powerlifting bench press. So, the bench becomes a training aid, I think he said something like 'he couldnt press the same standing and so uses a bench as a way of lifting heavier weights'.

Not "he couldn't" but assuming equal proficiency on the two, 'most' people can't Press as much standing as they can seated because the back will always be a limiting factor there. (Unless you view the Standing Press as a main exercise and devote your energy into pushing it as high as possible with its own assistance work, but that is not whats being discussed here) This doesn't apply to the belt for Rows, Shrugs, Squats etc where it makes little difference with the right conditioning.

In this example the Press is an 'assistance exercise' and as such should be directed towards helping your main lifs. Since working the shoulders is the goal, it makes no sense to use the Standing Press to aid the Bench press in a powerlifting workout since it will always be limited by the back (again, unless it is bought in line to be a major exercise, but then we're no longer looking at the same example). Trying to say the Bench is a crutch is a rather canned way of looking at this. Those are two different exercises. Bare in mind here we are talking about a casual trainee, and the example of the Press is taken from a competitive perspective from a different thread entirely.

I think people are jumping on this 'Press' example and getting away from the main crux of the discussion. That is for a person who is not currently using a belt, and has never been injured, starting to wear a belt makes no sense. He can just as well carry on building strength uniformly throughout his body. Instead of belting up and allowing his other muscles to get ahead and his core to be left behind.

Now, If im a recreational bodybuilder, strongman or powerlifter lifting more on my assistance lifts will help my progress. I think few people would argue against that.

"Recreational powerlifter"?

Thats another discussion in itself!

12345678910 ... ... 485486487488489490491492493494495

You are here: HomeForumFazc → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2020 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto