REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 183 guests
You are here: HomeForumDanCave → View All Posts

View All Posts: DanCave

» NEW YEAR NEW GOALS -establish my name in the opens (Go to post)24-04-2016 @ 19:01 
Sparrow said:I agree, Dan.

With belt cleans, which I also don't agree with, I would expect near double figures for loads of guys.

I do think 10+ reps on 250 deadlift is impressive, but maybe that's just because I'm an awful deadlifter.

Squat though is weird! I'd've expected loads to be 250+ minimum!

Has the standard overall dropped? Or, as you say, do people just not squat (or axle)?

I think the weights shifted stand for themselves... the overall standard has dropped dramatically... then you get people complaining the comp was run to fast... if you pressed a 110kg axle 3 or 4 times you dnt need an hours build up before u deadlift 250kg a couple of times... there was plenty time onbetween events jst maybe people wernt strong enough....
» NEW YEAR NEW GOALS -establish my name in the opens (Go to post)24-04-2016 @ 15:02 
JonHarmison said:big ass bar isnt it? Ironminds are notoriously large diameter

I dont think the diameter of the bar was what stopped people, considering they allowed people to belt clean. Which to me is rediculous. I was suprised with the low number most definately with the axle, just a few year back this would be a 10+rep at a northern 105 qual....

The deads i was shocked to see only 3 people get double figures... again something that has slipped in recent years..

The most suprisinging to me of the entire day was the squat... do people just not squat these days? I just didnt understand it.

Jon your 240 was decent, but i knew 265 wasnt going anywhere as soon as you said it. You had just done 2 taxing events so i wasnt suprised to see you worn out. Like you say maybe a better choice of lifts would have had you finish abit higher.. atleast you can see you went wrong and will pick better next time... i made the same mistake at northern 105s few years back!
» NEW YEAR NEW GOALS -establish my name in the opens (Go to post)23-04-2016 @ 21:19 
josh_ains said:northern 105 write up

weighing in , dropped food down and water loaded and lowered sodium to get down to weight in last week, day before weigh in 2 different scales both say im on target weight rate couple hot baths on weight before bed , half kilo under weight morning of weigh ins jump on their scale boxers thin t-shirt 1.7kg over no water or food consumed since wed night.

straight to a gym with sauna took scale at least I know it's roughly 2kg off , in and out sauna realise cant find any decent ground to get a consistent scale reading only place is back at hotel exact same spot etc , so 90 mins google says that should be enough time lol weighin at 103kg nose popped etc f**ked no smooth cut I intended , reefed etc all good , shoulder blows up no site injection either been niggling for past couple days .

day of comp feeling good except shoulder

1st event- axle c&p 110 x reps

warm up 110 felt great moved onto similar axle 1st up in order 2 going at once picked the grippyier looking/feeling one got moved onto a less grippy one not equal imo , 1st rep 1st thought s**t this is smooth as f**k got a couple reps then had trouble gripping it , cleans took so much energy 4 or 5 on this big disappointment 6 at least with axle to left of me imo bigger reps were all done on it

2nd event-deadlift normal height 250kg reps 75secs

hit 8 reps ,250 felt glued to the floor start of prep and was pulling in 3 movements nothing firing at all , nose trickled on 7th rep , then briefly rested asked for time to no avail went for 8th more quickly that I should have had I known time left , nose popped all I had decent number

3rd event-frame carry 260 x 20x20m

a good event hadn't training it for a long while was told it was farmers , anyhow pickup fairly fast up turned felt good on way back frame swinging about perhaps too fast 1 metre before line hand slips other stays on hurtled off to left, definetly 1st with no slip , think 3rd-4th with it , VID ON facebook about 31 min mark

4th event-max back squat belt sleeves only

very cautious on this event hip muscle above glute was unwalkable last Friday after carrying grandpas coffin, was slight tight at bottom of squat but all good no problems no weakness in it , 1st attempt 200 hit bars threw me forward got it lowered 2nd attempt 215 suitable jump for 230 I planned to hit comfyish , 3rd attempt 230 took time getting tight , 1 judge good lift, 2nd good lift , 3rd no lift , no lift theirs a couple identical in depth given on vid ,good points lost here couple of 215 and 220 230

5th event - flip x 3 medley tire flip 500kg into prowler 120kg added 20m

no idea of this event never flipped a heavy tire above 300kg added tons of s**t into mill gym 280 one for training trained prowler twice when I could get access no-where near as heavy on either astro surface really different , flipped 1st 2 okish 3rd fumbled it had to reflip then got it , f**ked already prowler felt brutal half way run out of all energy traps lockup as close to heart attack as ive been for good while impossible to build momentum with the very large surface area it had the friction was kicking my arse , crawled over literally took 30 minutes recover

positives got through it no cramp no issues their, prep was up their with worst for starting points strength was lowest it's been for years focussed mainly on the strength over fitness for majority , cant help thinking and points wise is accurate squat given , frame not dropped = top 3 , instead finished 7th not even factoring in longer recovery time for placing higher , start to finish under 3 hours, fine line

Think that is a load of s**te tbh... the axles are identical axles no difference whats so ever.

The difficulty you have with judging a squat is peoples opinion. Obv your opinion will be biased so not suprised that you didnt agree with that decision either.

The comp ran smooth and was finished last event at 3hours 45mins. Really dont see why every comp needs to take 6 hours plus..

Maybe instead of blaming other things you should accept that you just wernt strong enough on the day and use that to give you the drive to improve.
And your weigh in could of been so much simpler you where 106.7 fully clothed with a hoody on the full works. Instead of going away and sitting in a sauna jst get down to boxers and would of made it easy.
» Southern Englands Strongest Man U105kg (Go to post)05-01-2016 @ 12:52 
rossphillips said:Don't suppose u have any ideas about who's doin northen 105 this year mate ?

Are you guna try stay injury free this year ross? Be canny to see you compete without breaking yourself again haha
» Midlands u105 England Qualifier (Go to post)28-12-2015 @ 23:00 
siwaniak said:I will try to prepare for this comp Mr Ursus 😋

The return of seb!! Great to see pal
» titan centurion squat suit (Go to post)28-12-2015 @ 17:53 
I have a brand new titan centurion ipf approved squat suit for sale if any one is interested. Size 46 RS.. bought it a while back and wore it once.
» Erm... Brian Shaw looks small!!! (Go to post)19-05-2015 @ 16:28 
Funky_monkey said:Just did a bit of research - his name is Sean O'Hagan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30385196

Thats who i beat at uk juniors final 2013, he was gigantic was quite funny watching him get in his audi a4, i had a good laugh watching one of the presenters attempt to squeeze in the back seat behind him, he realised it was a hopeless task and gave up. Sean was pretty much sitting on the rear seat to drive the car!
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)27-04-2015 @ 18:27 
Post Edited: 27.04.2015 @ 18:28 PM by DanCave
PaulSavage said:
Please come call me boy to my face but i must also say he careful (by maybe wearing full cricket gear and a head and face guard / neck brace)
Fat gainz? I have gained fat on this bulk like i have every other but i have gained significant muscle mass too. I have just gained 8lb in like 5-6 days, it's pretty much impossible to gain that in fat. As for my test levels, they are fine. I have not taken a lot of anything as yet, actually very little and doing everything needed afterwards.

I am following your weight gain here as i think its quite dramstic at the speed of it, altough i dont doubt that you have had muscle and fat gains, who really cares about a little bit of fat anyways afterall it keeps you warm! But surely with all this rapid weight gain alot of it must be water, 8lbs of muscle in 5 days is surely imposible even if u are taking obsene amounts of "supplements" which you have clearly said you arent doing.
» New Year, New Journal for Powerlifting & Strongman Training (Go to post)13-04-2015 @ 19:09 
JohnMarsden said:Monday 13/04/15

Squat
70kgx5
70kgx5
110kgx5
150kgx5
sleeves on
190kgx5
190kgx5
190kgx5

Paused Close Grip Bench
60kgx5
60kgx5
100kgx5
120kgx5
120kgx5
120kgx5

Deadlift
60kgx5
60kgx5
100kgx5
140kgx3
180kgx3
belt on
220kgx1
255kgx1
275kgx1

Just did deadlifts to help keV out

Competed at Northern Englands Strongest Man U105kg on Saturday

Finished 2nd overall

On 250kg Deadlift I did 10reps for joint first, hamstrings were cramping on these, dont think I took on enough fluid day before, probably cost me a few reps

115kg log did 8 reps, went off too slow and ran out of time, was good for a few more, was 2nd on this

130kg Farmers for 40 meters, was last out so knew what I needed to beat and completed the course in 19.44 seconds winning the event by 3 or 4 seconds

500kg tyre into 125kg sandbag, everyone struggled with this event, floor was very slipperly so was difficult to flip the tyre did the 3 flips eventually and moved the sandbag abit, was 6th on this

Going into stones was 2 points off the lead and third was a further 5/6 points behind so knew I good stone run would confirm second, watched everyone else go out bar Ryan and knew 4 fast would be good enough, 1 motioned the first 3 and lapped and loads the 160 easy enough in 23 seconds, this was good enough for 2nd place on the event, had ago at the 180kg stone, just couldnt lap it

Overall pretty happy with how it all went, ryan won and was on 57 points, me 2nd on 54 and Ben Stone 3rd with 47 points, wasnt much between the two of us on the day really we was either 1st or 2nd on every event bar one each was a good battle

I enjoyed the day it was a very good turn out. you and ryan where a class above everyone else, there has been a noticeable drop in standard in 105 over the last couple of years and was nice to see you two come out and set the pace! Hope you do well at the englands with kelsey returning it should be of a better standard at that level which will be more of a competition for you and ryan. Your stones have improved alot aswel since i last competed against you!! Well done mate!
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)07-04-2015 @ 16:36 
PaulSavage said:As far as bodyweight goes just going to try to get to 140kg for october (though i would like to be a little leaner) then i guess i'll be like 160kg before years end or something daft.

Where you not under 100kg a few month back paul? I admire these weight gain ambitions however far fetched they may seem! But to go from under 100kg to 160kg in a year surely comes with alot of health risks? , unless ofcourse you have aims of making worlds or to tht standard? Its ofcourse your choice just wondering if this something you would find comfortable being that weight and if not you change your mind again and decide to diet down again after reaching 160kg surely that would have even worse repurcussions on your health?
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)29-03-2015 @ 11:18 
unit94 said:Bish and Ben are nowhere near 150!

U need abit of a belly to be at 150!! Your in the wrong game to want to be 150 without a pot, makes it easyer to rest things on!!! Luke didnt quite make 150 but wasnt far off i believe, tht kid had some freakish genetics though to still have abs at 140 plus! If i had to hazard a guess wud say ben is probs down to 110-115 now ready to water cut for midlands 105's
» WSM 2015 Malaysia (Go to post)11-03-2015 @ 18:43 
MJG said:I posted in the competitions part of the forum about which competitors will get invites and if the vast majority are fit the organisers are going to have to make some tough decisions

Definitely qualified via Giants Live

(apologise for name misspellings)

1. Bjornson
2. Nystrom
3. Savickas
4. Baron
5. Kobylarz
6. Bergmann
7. Belsak
8. Hall
9. Arsjo
10. Hicks
11. Radzikowski
12. Felix
13. Forsmark

(Terry also qualified but has confirmed he is out)

the finalists from the previous year usually get invited:

14. Brant
15. Burke
16. Caron
17. Ostlund
18. Pritchett
19. Shahlaei
20. Shaw
21. Wildouer

We know who the 5th UK competitor is

22. Bishop

Which leads just 8 slots. At least two of which will probably be from Australia and South Africa. My guess as to the last 8 would be:

23. Schuen
24. Van Stadden
25. Hanson (They always seem to have at least one Norwegian)
26. Oberst
27. Savatinov
28. Shivlyakov
29. Kieliszkowski
30. Lalas (May well be out injured)

But that leaves out quite a few guys

Best (could miss the cut as there are so many other Americans)
Curuso (good debut last year but again to many Americans)
Zageris (Performing well in SCL)
Solvang (has been out of form for a while)
Koklyaev (has tried several comebacks)
Katona (Still performing well at SCL but hasn't been to WSM for a few years)
Szymanski (Did really well on his debut but three poles already qualified and another who was brilliant at the arnolds)
Nami (has been to the last few WSM)

Anyone I forgotten?

Luke stoltman is travelling to so could quite well see him compete hopefuly!
» Northern England's Strongest Man Under 105kg 2015 (Go to post)07-03-2015 @ 18:00 
JC said:
Ill weigh in an hour before the comp buddy
Hope to be well under 105 by then

Good lad! My weight is all over atm with working 2/3 weeks of nights offshore then 2 weeks home, hopefuly be back competing next year taking ages to do the whole inpregnation thing haha
» Northern England's Strongest Man Under 105kg 2015 (Go to post)07-03-2015 @ 16:35 
Ben_F said:2009 Champion: Stuart Hayes
2010 Champion: Mark Clegg
2011 Champion: Graham Hicks
2012 Champion: James Robson
2013 Champion: James Robson
2104 Champion: John Marsden

Yeah robbo did not through lack of effort from myself in 2013 went to final event! Marsden will be there we know it, when u hitting the scales then JC?
» Northern England's Strongest Man Under 105kg 2015 (Go to post)06-03-2015 @ 22:00 
JohnMarsden said:Any recommendations for places to stay local to the venue?

Metro centre premier inn, ya cant go wrong mate plenty places to eat after u get your arse on some scales first ofcourse! About 15-20mins to venue from there! Got to have the current northerns champ defend his title!

You are here: HomeForumDanCave → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions