REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 120 guests
You are here: HomeForumOxman → View All Posts

View All Posts: Oxman

12345678910 ... ... 728729730731732733734735736737738

» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 13:19 
Ben_F said:I wouldn't worry about being too tall if you are in good shape and feel strong at that weight... PAGAN (Mark Hodgson) is about 6ft and is one of the top ten u90kg strongmen in Britain.

Didn't know he was that tall, thats good to know.
I think i will try to control the bodyweight and go for the under 90's, more acheivable for me next year i think.

Thanks for you advice mate.
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 13:03 
Ben_F said:Good luck with the comeback, great deermination to back to it after that setback.

Are you going to do the u90kg circuit next year or let your weight go higher?

Here is a squat routine I like and has wroked for myself and others:

http://joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

Cheers mate.

If i'm honest i'm too tall i think for under 90's (smidge under 6 foot) but not really strong enough for the under 105's yet, bit of a crap place to be really! My weight at the moment is about half a kg over 90kg and is holding around that ok after a low of 83kg after my hard cut. Most of the weight gone on is muscle thanks to muscle memory. If i can hold this weight while ramping up my strength gains remains to be seen. I'm trying not to focus on where my weight goes (fed up with that in bodybuilding), i'm just eating plenty of clean food and training hard to get my strength levels right up, where my weight ends up it ends up but next year under 90's would be good way to break back in ideally.

Cheers for the link to squat routine mate i'll check that out, appreciated.
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 12:58 
Skip said:Good luck with everything pal!

Thanks mate!
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 11:36 
slimsim said:now THAT's a comeback story! I'd should have mentioned in my journal that I once tore a callous and came back 3-weeks later stronger than ever and determined to see myself back to full fitness.

great reading about the weightloss, recovery and getting back in to it all.Happy

Cheers mate, been a long old journey from that injury, until september this year i never thought i'd do strongman again, hell a few years ago i never thought i'd walk normally againl lol! First time picking up that bloody atlas stone was tough, took me about 15 minutes to get over the fear of dropping it again! As soon as i ripped it up i knew i could do this again. Though this time i want to be fit aswell as strong! Hoping to beat all my previous lifts (which weren't that good) the coming year and get my ass back in a comp, missed it, bodybuilding just wasn't me!
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 11:02 
Cut the workout right down today as feeling beat and hurting lots, got what i needed to do done and left it:

Box Squats 13 1/2"
75% current box height max
115kg x 2,x2,x2,x2,x2,x2,x2,x2 then a easy 140kg x 1
Moving nice and fast still, up to 80% next week then test 1rm again
60 second rests between sets

Front Squats
145kg x 1 PB
Warmed up to a 5kg PB, back really feeling it so left it today.

Dead Stop 45 degree incline log press
80kg x 11 PB, 100kg x F, 80kg x 5, x 4, x 4
Small rep pb, felt good so went to a 2.5kg max pb attempt, didin't pan out so knocked it back and did 3 more sets. Feeling weak today, 97.5kg was piss easy last week!

Left it at that, need to catch up on some sleep and rest if the nipper will let me tonight lol!
» And now for something completely different (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 09:32 
Best of luck with the switch to strongman mate.
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 09:14 
Cheers mate. Enjoying the Phillipi routine so far - only week 3 so going to get alot harder i know but seems to be going well. The curcuits look easy on paper but get tough pretty quick!

Hopefully it'll bring my deads back up to where they were when i was alot bigger then i'm going to look at a Squat routine of some sort to bring my crap squat up over 200. In the middle of my cut i was repping 175kg for 8 in squats but the cut killed my strength so hoping it comes back ok. If anyone can recommend a good squat routine for after my 10 week deadlift cycle i'd appreciate it!
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 08:02 
Thanks mate, even more determined this time around!
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 18:52 
Week 3 Phillipi Deadlift routine

Deadlifts 85% desired max
212.5kg x 2
Still very easy, form improving week on week, next week is 225kg x 2 - that will be a post accident rep PB...if i get it, which i will!

Speed Deadlifts 70% desired max
175kg x3,x3,x3,x3,x3,x3
90 seconds rest between
Felt good and light and fast, in fact the last set moved the fastest.

Circuits, 90 seconds rest between exercises, 2-3 mins between circuits
Done as 1 set of first exercise, one of the next and so on, rotating for 3 circuits.

Stiff Legged Deads 150kg x 8, x 8, x 8
5kg up on last week, fairly easy but being conservative still

Barney Rows 97.5kg x 8, x8, x 8
2.5kg up on last week, massive burn in upper back, good exercise.

Reverse Grip Chins BW x 8, x 8,x 8
Last set was tough.

Arched Back Wide Stance Good Morning 90kg x 8, x 8, 95kg x 8
Felt pretty good, up all sets to 95kg.

Finished off with a load of heavy ab work.
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 09:43 
30 mins am run
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)09-11-2011 @ 13:07 
Thanks lads, appreciated.
» Return to strongman. (Go to post)09-11-2011 @ 11:43 
Post Edited: 20.08.2012 @ 22:12 PM by Oxman
Having veiwed the forum for a long time i decided to start up a journal on here.

Bit of backgroud:

Competed in a few novice strongman comps pre '08 weighing a fat 19+ stone. Last comp was Londons Strongest man novice '08.

October '08 had a bad accident while training, dropping a 120kg atlas stone on my foot from shoulder height. Long story short i nearly had to have my foot amputated and was in a wheelchair for 3-4 months then a long road to recovery. Got even fatter during this time and hit 21 stone, depressed.

After my initial recovery i started up training again but tbh lost my nerve for strongman and my foot continued to be extremely painful meaning very heavy training was out. I started on a bodybuilding routine - DC training and masses of cardio and dieting that lasted 2 years, dropping from 21 stone to the end of my cut this past september to 13 stone bang on.

I was contemplating entering a bodybuilding contest this year but my heart was not really in it, i got in very good condition for me but the tanning/shaving side of things just ain't me!

September 20th i started Strongman training again with a veiw to competing next year if possible. I lost alot of my strength on the cut but its quickly coming back now whilst remaining pretty lean. My foot is back to 100% despite all docs saying it wouldn't be and feel very lucky to be able to give this another shot.

My main concern was lifting the stones again as i feared a mental block would stop me but i've successfully lifted my 120kg atlas stone again and conquered that fear quickly.

I train at home as my previous training camp has since disappeared, got 1 stone, a log, farmers, a 2 and 3" axle, tyre bumpers and a keg with plans to build and buy more kit as i go along, i also have a good indoor gym set up.

I re-gained my 500lb deadlift around 4 weks ago and i'm incorporating the Phillipi 10 week deadlift routine into my training system in an attempt to bring this up further. Initial goals are just to keep adding as much strength as possible and see where it takes me and try to get back to a competition next year.
Much strength needed to be re-gained but coming back already!

Yesterdays session:

Power Clean & Push Press 55kg x 5, x 5, 65kg x 3, 75kg x 1, 85kg x 3 rep pb!, 92.5kg PB!, 95kg x 1 PB, 80kg x 6 rep pb, x 3
NAILED IT!!Form quickly improving and these felt sweet! New it was going to be good as 85kg x 3 felt easy, had possibly 1 more but had the max in mind. 92.5kg flew up - easiest of all so decided on the 95kg attempt which flew up pretty well too but a little slower on lockout. Back really feeling it so left it at that and banged out a 80kg rep pb. I reckon my second goal of 100kg will be here within a month or 2 now! Bloody ecstatic with these! Gone from 75kg to 95kg in about 5 weeks! Think the next 20kg may be a tad tougher!

OK next up i did a load of power cleans and jerks with 55kg sub maximal weight trying to get tech down. Slowly getting it, just need to practice the'dive'under the bar. Need to try these fresh as back was too pumped and tight to get the full effect. Did around 8 - 10 sets of 2 reps.

I was going to do some standing strict pressing but wanting to protect lower back i did..
Seated dead stop barbell presses 65kg x 7 =PB (done when fresh so pleased), x 3
Left it at 2 sets my delts where on fire and back tight as hell!

Fat Bar V Dips B/W + 20kg x 10, x 7, x 5
Finished triceps off, no where near a PB of 40+ kg on waist but as pressing muscles where massively pre-exhausted i was happy with these!

Finished with sets of 20 lateral raises with 12kg to really destroy the delts.

Next session is my deadlift routine on thursday.

12345678910 ... ... 728729730731732733734735736737738

You are here: HomeForumOxman → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions