REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 129 guests
You are here: HomeForumslimsim → View All Posts

View All Posts: slimsim

12345678910 ... 376377378 ... 394395396397398399400401402403404

» And now for something completely different (Go to post)01-02-2012 @ 11:35 
Oxman said:Good session mate! You got the deadlift double! Nice work!

Hahaa, cheers mate. I'm soooo glad it's deload week next. I'm still not feeling 100% following the squats last week and I think of the deads smashed my immune system again. It's shot at the moment.....must be the AIDS......I just hope it's the good kind! Eek
» Cleaning with bent arms (Go to post)01-02-2012 @ 11:13 
Steve said:If you don't go onto your toes and use the shrug to pull yourself under the bar, as opposed to pulling the bar up, then you decrease the time it takes to get under the bar therefore decreasing the minimum height it is necessary to lift it too or so it is claimed by some.

Ahhh, I get you! I thought it was being suggested that some lifters would almost purposely cut their 2nd pull short as soon as the required bar height was attained.

TBH, I fall into the camp that feel it's not necessary to try and extend up on the toes to complete the pulling phase. I think a lifter will always natural rise onto their toes to a degree just due to inertia therefore to try and increase this to a maximum extension simply isn't worth the extra effort. I don't even really think a big shrug at the top of the pull is necessary. Focus on driving through the legs and hips and just let the smaller muscles do what they do automatically.

Maybe that's why I was always crap?! Unhappy
» Cleaning with bent arms (Go to post)01-02-2012 @ 10:52 
Surely though if a weightlifter is able to pull the bar higher than the absolutely minimum necessary to get under the bar then it is not their true maximum weight?

After all there is the saying that a clean (and snatch for that matter) is just a failed power clean.
» Valeriya Kholodova 270kg squat belt + knee wraps only (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 23:27 
But, but, but........it's a girl!!!!Eek Eek Eek
» Motor Bike - To Buy Or Not To Buy? (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 21:59 
Yeah, what's wrong with a mid life crisis, Jabba had his 20 years ago!!! Grin

Get the bike, worse case scenario you can just sell it on in 12 months down the line.
» is my weak ass squat holding my deadlifts back?!?!?! (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 21:30 
Always nice to pop into a thread and see a glorious rack like that!Grin

One option you could try and which would avoid dropping your weights down would be to add 2.5kg (total) to the 100kg set each week. Still do your other sets even if they are on the high side but over a 10 week period the 100kg becomes 125kg, hopefully to the same depth as to what you're doing them now.

Probably be worth chucking a set in at 90 once your at 110kg+

Once you're able to do 125 a2g then you could always drop the 140+ sets down a touch but it doesn't then end up feeling like a massive backwards step.
» Gates's Log (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 21:04 
I agree with the General! 23 FFS!!! Was it at a seminar or something there's a right little crowd watching. Nobody gives 2 s**ts when I lift! Unhappy Happy Grin
» Need snatch/CJ/Squat/Bench videos (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 17:19 
Is it videos of us doing the lifts that you want, or elite level lifters? If it is us, do you need it from a specific angle?

I fancy seeing just out terrible the movement pattern of my snatch is compared to what it should be like. Grin
» Bill Gates ! (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 17:06 
Steve said:
The revenue wouldn't accept they were self employed when clearly they aren't. You can't simply pick and choose.

Would it not be the same as an IT contractor who might work on a quasi permanent contract for say 3+years? I used to gym a corporate gym and loads of the guys who worked for O2 were contractors earning much higher rates than the PAYE guys but were there for the full duration of my 2.5years. I've only been self employed for 3 years but I thought these types of things were fairly standard.

PS. Did you know there's a life insurance plan which company directors can take out on themselves without incurring a P11D liability AND it can be classed as a deductible expense? WARNING WARNING: SALES PITCH SALES PITCH

Grin Grin Grin
» Bill Gates ! (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 16:52 
Steve said:
If you are employed you have to pay tax on your wages through paye (at 50% for high earners) - there's actually very little an accountant can do to reduce the amount of tax you pay on your salary.

Yeah, I know, that's why I'm surprised they all work on an employed basis rather than being self employed contractors. At least that way they could claim back various expenses such as petrol costs, which I'd imagine for someone driving a masserati/ferrari/porsche...continue to insert supercar of choice....are pretty high!!
Grin
» Bill Gates ! (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 15:54 
BenMac said:
It was John-Arne Riise's payslip from Liverpool, a workie took a picture of it whilst he was building him an extention.
Kinkladze's is knocking about the internet too - shows him on PAYE too
[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/benmac_2006/payslip.jpg[/...

I bet he was happy about it being put on the net!

Still surprises me though. You'd have though that these guys would have access to top accountants/tax advisers and the whole rest of it, so I would've thought they be all over the tax issues with a comb looking to mitigate as much as poss.

I don't care how much you earn, it must still be absolutely heartbreaking to see 1/2 of it disappear to the chancellors coffers.....the poor bas***ds! Grin
» shoot I did for zoo magazine (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 15:38 
Brilliant! Is that the gym you usually train in Terry and if so, are the pink bells and log there for the less *cough* gifted amongst us? Grin

It's a bloody good incentive to get strong quickly!
» Bill Gates ! (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 15:27 
I'm surprised if that is a bona fide footballers wage slip, as I certainly wouldn't expect a footballer to be "working" on a PAYE basis. However, if it is genuine it seems that footballers are employed in the least tax-efficient method possible.
» New Competition Ideas (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 14:16 
Post Edited: 31.01.2012 @ 14:16 PM by slimsim
MarkClegg said:
I now vow to you that the title of an upcoming video of mine on YouTube will be called -
"170kg Clunge"

There's gonna be a lot of men who prefer "the larger lady" who'll be mightily disappointed when you tag it with that heading!
» New Competition Ideas (Go to post)31-01-2012 @ 09:45 
Post Edited: 31.01.2012 @ 14:09 PM by slimsim
MarkClegg said:How about instead of lifting bits of old rusty s**t.. You could lift barbells instead - and maybe do a floor to overhead lift with it , maybe first half of the competition in one movement then stop to catch your breath then say in two movements ..

Then the total of the two lifts could be added to give a total and the guy with the biggest total will be crowned the winner !!!

Yeah, but to make it really appealing you'd have to call the lifts something that non lifters find amusingly dirty. The first lift could be called 'the clunge' and the second, this strange 2 part lift you mention, could be called the 'jerk off and clean up'. Now broadcast it on a minority channel around 11pm and the viewing figures will skyrocket.....mainly consisting of pubescent teenagers!!

WINNER!

12345678910 ... 376377378 ... 394395396397398399400401402403404

You are here: HomeForumslimsim → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions