12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)13-10-2011 @ 20:28 
October 13th 2011

Dynamic upper body

4 sets rear delt machine, last 205lbs x 8, 45 seconds rest between

standing barbell press, strict, 40kg for 5 sets of 3 reps
standing plate press, strict, 20kg + bands for 5 sets of 3 reps
(30 seconds rest between sets)

assistence - chest, 28kg incline dumbbell press, palms facing, superset with 36kg flat dumbbell extension, 2 sets 45 seconds rest between

10 minutes stepper, interval setting, level 8
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)12-10-2011 @ 22:29 
October 12th 2011

Max effort lower body

3 giant sets of standing calf raises, weighted abs and dumbbell side bends

box squat onto bench (high) upto 190kg x 5 (had more)
HG500 choked (roughly 20mm) to 2mm right, 4mm left, 3 max attempts e/h
sumo deadlift upto 200kg x 5 dead stop (had more) / back down set of 160kg x 16 t&g (belt came loose on the first so did it back up then did 15 touch and go)

towel grip hold 110kg x 52 seconds, 90kg x 50 seconds
kettlebell hold, start with it tilted inwards & wrists bent, stop time when it the bell goes straight, 8kg x 51 seconds, 4kg x 2 minutes 30 seconds

assistence - giant set, back, legs, wrists, thumbs

Leg strength seems to be coming back as it should, sumo deads felt pretty strong. Seems i need a bit more time to get the 500 choked, i tend to find choker work hard on grippers. Happy with the left though, will close it with both soon.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)10-10-2011 @ 21:46 
Post Edited: 10.10.2011 @ 21:48 PM by PaulSavage
October 10th 2011

Waist was 34" first thing in the morning, smallest in recent times. Weight was 103.5kg (came off creatine day after Cheshires).

Max effort upper body

viking press upto 135kg x 1 (missed second - terrible, this was way off today)
one arm dumbbell press upto 55kg x 3 L / 2 R (terrible again!) back down set of 35kg x max reps

assistance
- giant set dumbbell rear laterals followed by side laterals 10kg, 20kg plate raises and 30kg overhead extensions, 2 sets 30 seconds rest between
- 45 seconds rest then paused close grip bench press 80kg x 6 plus drop

cardio
- 5 minutes concept 2 rower half resistance, went easy, 900m distance
- 5 minutes heavy bag strikes, went hard, lay'd out afterwards

Think maybe i should drop the weight a bit and do multiple sets on the next ME pressing day, technique felt off on both exercises. Maybe it's because of the amount of recent leg work but didn't have the same amount of explosion in my legs when i did an easy triple at 130kg. The dumbbell press wasn't all that heavy, but because the dumbbell used was with metal plates, as I was trying to drive with the legs the dumbbell was rolling on my shoulder and this was causing me to struggle or miss, meant to do 4/4. Getting some tendon pain in my right arm after heavy bag work. Not the best results today but triceps f'd and that was the main idea.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)08-10-2011 @ 21:54 
October 8th 2011

Dynamic effort squat & deadlift

ab machine 3 weighted sets superset with dumbbell side bends
lying leg raise off bench to failure
front squat, paused in hole upto 50kg for 5 sets of 2 reps
deadlift upto 90kg for 5 sets of 2 reps
30 minutes cardio - stepper lvl 5, treadmill incline 12.5 speed 5, cross trainer lvl 7 all set to fat burn

Deadlifts felt good, front squats could have been faster but the leg power should come back pretty quick. legs are taking a pounding with this routine. Definately liking the DE training.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)06-10-2011 @ 20:52 
October 6th 2011

Dynamic effort pressing

rear delt machine 3 drop set
seated calf machine 3 drop set
rc work
standing barbell press, strict, 37.5kg 5 x 3 30 seconds rest between
standing plate press, strict, 25kg 5 x 3 30 seconds rest between
assistance (chest) incline dumbbell press, palms facing, 25kg superset with 36kg flat dumbbell extension for 2 sets
cable cross over drop set
bike on hills lvl 12 10 minutes

Good session. My brother wanted to meet us straight from work and forgot the bands but actually i think it's best to not use the bands all the time for DE and never for ME, i think the difference in weight is the main thing.

Not sure if deadlift is 18 inch now, need confirmation on that.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)05-10-2011 @ 22:58 
Thought up a routine to do for the next month or so, will be sticking to the gym for a little while..

Monday - max effort pressing, straight weight, 2 exercises, shoulder assistence
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - max effort deadlift/squat, straight weight, one exercise each, assistence (includes grip training)
Thursday - dynamic effort pressing, with bands, 2 exerices, chest assistence
Friday - off
Saturday - dynamic effort deadlift/squat, with bands, 2 exercises, assistence
Sunday - off

Assistence will be done in strictly giant sets, super sets, or drop sets and will take no longer than 5 minutes on each day. I will also do 10 minutes of (hard) cardio at the end of every workout and 30 minutes on saturday, so 1 hour total each week. I really want to come in good condition for my next contest and it will help with recovery between workouts. I am hoping the dynamic effort will help me be more explosive, feel like i am getting slow. The two main exercises on each day will be one of a couple variations or the same each week e.g pressing max effort will be viking press and one arm dumbbell press, for dynamic effort will be barbell strict press and plate press.

Will be interesting to see how i improve on a westside type routine like this, i can't recall of ever doing one.

October 5th 2011

Max effort Deadlift/Squat
- weighted abs superset with dumbbell side bends for 3 sets
- 18" deadlift upto 240kg x 2
- 3/4" rack squats (starting off the pins) upto 180kg x 5
- frame hold upto 220kg x 47 seconds
- giant set for assistance (hamstrings, glutes, back, biceps, grip - 2 laps no rest)

Hurt my upper/middle back on the right side at some point warming up for deadlifts, didn't feel anything doing them just something inbetween sets. Have had this injury many times in same place, should be able to foam roll it out no problem, just couldn't push on the deads. The frame at this gym has a pretty tough grip on it, handles a bit too thin for me and very slick paint job. Better to be hard though. Was obviously not fully recovered from the comp for this, i just wanted to stick to the routine. I fried my grip out last night getting the HG500 in a choker (left palm feels bruised), and then basically forgot to do it today haha i remembered just before i did the working set on frame hold and gave it a quick bash, 1/8" off right so no doubt can close it fresh.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)03-10-2011 @ 21:59 
Bodyweight went to 108kg before the night was over, 6.2kg up from weigh ins. Both calves have been f'd since but my right one has been stupid sore, after the adrenaline/buzz from the comp wore off i was struggling to walk.

Starting training for muscle inc comp. Gonna be training with my brother as he wants to do the inters (would be his second comp).

October 3rd 2011

viking press
- strict warm up sets of 5's
>add bands<
- 2 sets of 3 strict
(push press)
- 75kg x 3
- 100kg x 2 (machine moved on second but failed 3rd, heavy lockout)
>straight weight<
- 100kg x 13 (6 rep pb)
strict plate press
- 60kg x 4 (heavy today)
- 25kg + bands x 12 (bit too light)
plate raise
- 25kg x ??
- 25kg, 20kg, 15kg, 10kg x max reps
side lateral machine superset with rear delt machine x two 3 drop sets on each
dips leaning far over x 20 @ bodyweight
incline bench press 60kg x ??
incline dumbbell flys 12kg x ??
plate hammer curl
- 20kg plate x ??
- 25kg, 20kg, 15kg, 10kg x max reps (15+ to start on 25, bit light)
(very fast paced for conditioning, 30-45 seconds rest on everything but couple exercises)

Followed this up immediately with 10 minutes on the stair master, aerobic setting on lvl 7.

Felt a bit weak, joints sore etc to be expected 2 days after comp but good session.
» There and Back Again (Go to post)01-10-2011 @ 22:24 
Beast.
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)01-10-2011 @ 22:09 
Post Edited: 01.10.2011 @ 22:11 PM by PaulSavage
October 1st 2011 - Cheshires strongest man U105kg

Write up

Made a pretty bad cock up and was a bit dehydrated today, i had too much caffine in morning without drinking enough water, combine this with the heat and i had sweated too much weight out on the way to the comp. I weighed in at 101.8kg and i am almost 107kg now and still most likely not fully hydrated. I think the heat last night didnt help either. Seeing how much im weighing now this must have been the reason i was cramping (the worst i can remember having).

Overhead medley - Coming in i felt like i would most likely fail the log or get all of them, and it was the first one. Felt close but couldn't do it. Guess i'm just that weak at log then, odd. Three other guys did not get it either but still no points so did not matter.

Farmers hold - At first i was fine, felt light compared to what i thought it would, even to pick up, i struggled more with 110's not long back. After maybe 30 seconds i cramped up in my left lat, i did well to not drop and luckily managed to get the cramp under control with a bit of movement but it was really weakening my hold. Not long after the cramp started id gone from rock solid to barely hanging on. Held to 48 seconds then it went to my fingers and i was forced to put down as stupidly enough id placed my foot below the farmers. Not worth a broken foot to get an extra 10 seconds. Terrible result for me but s**t happens. Was happy with how strong my body was at standing up compared to the first time i tried it with the 110's though. Want to get minute 30 for my next comp.

Arm over arm - Would always expect myself to win this, it's my best event. I did not win, which annoyed me a lot. Why it annoyed me so much was that i didn't lose due to not being strong enough (this i can except), i lost because i forgot to tell shane to feed the rope from the left, which is the exact same thing that happened last time i did this in competition - what an idiot!! It totally confuses me and messes me up big time, i knew straight away it would be beat by a good margin, i could have cut my time almost in half. Again, terrible result, i WILL get this event right next time!

Yoke - Have hardly ever trained this event but has felt pretty good in training, i knew i wouldnt win it but was expecting no more than 15 seconds. I got 38! Felt fine at first but all of a sudden it was draging me to the ground, they did make it 310 but i think the problem was the incline, i needed a tighter sqeeze on it and to slow down. Im thinking the incline was throwing me off balance and it really shot more core, i had to take a break near the end because my back was so fried (why it took so long). Seems my yoke needs more work. After this event my right calf cramped up very badly, was like Brian Shaw grabed my foot and tried to get my toes to touch my knee.

Deadlift - This felt great warming up on the 120kg from the overhead medley, so i was hoping to get at least 5. I noticed the guys before me were struggling, and knowing there PB's i knew 5 was not happening (it must have been heavier), got 1 and came just short on the second. Amazingly, this was joint 4th. Best ever placing on a deadlift event! Great result.

Medley - With me doing almost no cardio leading up to this and the cramping in my calves i did not want to push in this. Went medium pace on both farmers and sand bags just to make sure i didnt get hurt, gas out etc Was easier than i expected, could have done this quicker but was happy to finish it pretty well.

6th place, missed out on top 5 by a point - heh

Great day though, good bunch of fella's and a well ran comp, especially considering was only the two of them.. On to the next.
» Cheshires Strongest Man u105 (Go to post)01-10-2011 @ 22:02 
mikehowarth said:Ben France is a champion amongst champions!

Ben who?
» Trying to get some Savage power (Go to post)28-09-2011 @ 21:01 
Post Edited: 28.09.2011 @ 21:02 PM by PaulSavage
FAT_SAM said:Looking good all round at the moment mate.

Congrats on getting lean, I actually got down to 105kg myself at one point, then re discovered how much I enjoy eating Burger King. Happy

lol Thanks, yeah am going back to opens for my next comp, will definitely be glad to eat after the weigh ins. I might do UK or BSM U105 qualifiers next year, but only if i can cut down and make the weight / am not more interested in an open comps at the time. As of now i am 105kg first thing in the morning but i could still probably put on 20lbs of muscle at this weight (if i could manage to get proper cut up).

As for looking good all round, guess will see on Saturday, but i am at least happy with how training is going. Need a bit more time to be at my all time best, that is the plan for the next comp.
» Cheshires Strongest Man u105 (Go to post)28-09-2011 @ 19:53 
Post Edited: 28.09.2011 @ 19:54 PM by PaulSavage
JC said:
Never seen a worse event...well, bar maybe conans. Its not staminia man!

Maybe do powerlifting and not strongman..??

Fitness, speed, athleticism and endurance have been a part of strongman since it began, if you don't like that then your not really a fan of the sport. Besides, it's not like this comp is light. For example, if i remember correctly they did a 150kg farmers hold in worlds strongest man super series back in 2006 with a certain 5 time worlds strongest man winner only getting 40 odd seconds. We are talking about a county level 105kg comp.
» Cheshires Strongest Man u105 (Go to post)27-09-2011 @ 20:38 
Post Edited: 27.09.2011 @ 20:39 PM by PaulSavage
bignige1986 said:
Not 100% but think possibly last event mate as its a killer ha

Yeah probably best. Very confident in my prediction!
» Cheshires Strongest Man u105 (Go to post)27-09-2011 @ 19:50 
bignige1986 said:Gentlemen-

Unfortunatly due to insurance purposes, close proximity of childrens play area and also winnington lodge refusing to
let us host our competition if we want to put the keg toss in we have had no choice but to drop this event.

I can only apolagise on behalf of shane and myself but very kindly winnington lodge allow us to host our competition within there grounds and if we want to continue to use there facility we do not want to offend our gracious hosts!

Instead we have decided on a bit of a cardio fest of a medley, the event shall run as follows-
100kg farmers 20m
200kg sled drag 20m
100kg sandbag 20m
100kg sandbag 20m both sanbags will need to be loaded over yoke.
90 second time limit.

Probably should have done some cardio then haha

Is this still going to be second event or no?
» Cheshires Strongest Man u105 (Go to post)26-09-2011 @ 21:32 
Well, if i suck i suck, all the lifting is done now, just one cardio sesh to go.

See you guys Saturday - bring the power!

p.s roar

12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

You are here: HomeForumPaulSavage → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions