REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 143 guests
You are here: HomeForumPaulSavage → View All Posts

View All Posts: PaulSavage

12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

» WSM 2020 (Go to post)09-11-2020 @ 16:19 
Anyone know what the heat events are?
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)04-11-2020 @ 20:25 
Ok so little update, obviously covid and lockdowns both in our town and liverpool where we train most often kind of f**ked things a bit. Down to training twice weekly now. For me im basically f**ked, been getting pain in lower back again and it locking up so cant put my hips through on deadlifts, same old s**t ive had for the last few years. Went to osteopaths told him whats going on, he did some tests etc basically said its very likely i have two compressed back which it always feels like thats the case but also feels like my backs out of place. He gave me some massage, ultra sound heating thing etc then tried to adjust me and my back just wasnt having it and comppletely locked up and i literally couldnt stand up for 10 minutes, barely made the walk to the car. He said im simply in too bad a way to treat right now because my back just locks up and basically said i need to simply stop deadlifting all together and give it so time to heal up, told me to do some rehab s**t etc So yeah basically at this point i don't think theres much option but to not do too much to load the spine and not deadlift so im maybe going to just try go for a log and strict press at the comp an not do the deadlift. Annoying thing is since becca is basically just doing the comp for deadlift we havent even done log for weeks now but whatever just is what it is. Bought an inversion table to help stretch my spine out, need to collect it just hope it can hold my weight (upto 180kg) and i dont land on my f**king head.

For Becca what i decided to do was just cut things right back to basic stuff, only couple exercises a session but lots of heavy sets for volume, the odd accesory but basically none, and deadlifting twice weekly, squatting once a week. I also took away planned poundages and just instead kept a rough idea and also worked off the day a lot as ive never had her do this heavy twice weekly so i really couldnt plan too much on what was going to happen week to week. It has however gone well so far. I took out the eccentric overloads as she just wasnt getting them down and couldnt work them in for twice a week recovery wise but added in some light stiff leg deadlifts with slow eccentrics, also added snatch grip low block pulls and 15" block pulls to go with banded pulls from the floor often doing emom or 90 secs with those. Everything is working well, shes got upto 220kg for 3 x 5 with a little more in the tank, done a pretty comfy set of 5 squats on the spider bar with 3 plates + doubled bands which was nearly lifting the 50kg dumbbells of the ground and was with bare knees. Ive also seen in her warm ups that if we werent doing so many singles warming up and emom etc she looks good for 5 plates plus the bands which is 270kg total and the goal before deloading so is promising. Cutting frequency down now, want her to get that pull done in a couple weeks along with 260kg for some reps from 15" then we should be good to start backing off.

Also been coaching sarah carey twice weekly through our sessions and shes been making rapid progress, could definately go all the way in the sport, just comes back stronger every time no matter how tough each session is. Real shame brits got cancelled but still going to carry and do a kind of mock meet for her same day.

couple clips from last few sessions

becca - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHLBf1JAgAj/

sarah - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHK5TH7g1NE/
» Impressive social media lifts (Go to post)01-11-2020 @ 00:25 
The_Lone_Wolf said:
He’s no Paul Savage.

This guy is on a different planet to me genetically, might have done some things he hasn't done yet but he's just starting out an I can't get near him on thickbar already plus he's beating world class arm wrestlers. He is the most gifted strength athlete I've ever seen bar none.
» One million kg in 24 hours (Go to post)29-10-2020 @ 17:26 
billynomates said:
I think you're very optimistic Paul

I dont know if he can or cant do it, obviously a nutty task but if anyone can it would be unit, he's very fit for a strongman and bordenline a sized up crossfit athlete who already trains more than anyone else so it's not like other top strongmen trying it
» One million kg in 24 hours (Go to post)29-10-2020 @ 17:23 
unit94 said:
Yeah that's very close to what I'm planning

Best of luck
» One million kg in 24 hours (Go to post)29-10-2020 @ 16:58 
Post Edited: 29.10.2020 @ 17:13 PM by PaulSavage
unit94 said:Hello people of Sugden, in the wake of the free school meals debacle I'm going to be doing a fundraiser to help provide meals for children over the Xmas period. I'm going to attempt to lift one million kg in the space of 24 hours, I haven't worked out my exact strategy yet but it's looking like mostly involving trap bar deadlift. If anyone that has done any endurance type challenges has any tips for me I'd be keen to hear them and if anyone would like to donate here is the link. There is a scheme that my gym are running for cooking meals for kids in the local area and the rest will be split between a couple of food banks depending on how much I raise.

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/onemillionkg

I don't have experience in endurance tasks but have programmed some crazy amount of reps and sets in workouts for total poundage and id say the one thing you need to make sure you do is at bare minimum superset every single exercise if not circuits working opposite muscle groups as this will definately make a difference and obviously boat load of carbs, fluids etc Would love you to pull this off.

EDIT - just done a little calulation an id if you want to keep it to basic exercises and not machines something like 300kg x 5 trap bar or farmers picks on high handles inot 100kg bench press x 5 into 100kg bent over row x 5 would give you 2500kg. You need 694kg every minute so doing that in a minute would allow you 2.6 minutes between to stay on pace. You could also maybe throw in some shrugs / power shrugs or replace the trap bar with shrugs at times as short range so could get big numbers, especially on farmers but yeah it is actually possible at least on paper.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)11-10-2020 @ 20:21 
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 20:25 
Sparrow said:No matter how easy you think it is, you didn’t do it.

What’s your our max deadlift from the floor (not a raised axle) currently out of interest?

I didn't say it was easy, of course it's not easy

I don't know, just haven't really done them as said. Will know in December i guess but not expecting all that much.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 20:02 
KevC86 said:
That was probably my favourite thing on this whole log.
Now that i actually know what 300 x 10 requires i think it might be even more amusing.

It was harder than i realised but keep in mind it was touch an go so really only = to 5 or 6 reps
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 20:00 
Sparrow said:
I didn't know about the donation to charity and as you say, that's a better cause anyway.
I'm sure there was a deadlift bet as well - something ridiculous like 300 x 10 (you were claiming you'd do 300 x 20) but it really doesn't matter now.

Don't recall of any bet with that but it really wasnt that rediculous a goal because it was touch an go which lets face it is way easier, probably can do double the reps and id already done 280kg drug free so going on gear and doing 20kg more for whats essentially = to 5 or 6 normal reps isnt that crazy and im pretty sure i gave myself 2 years to do it.

The problem i had with that was simply my goals changed and i went more towards gripsport, coaching and also every time i thought about doing strongman again it was never a floor deadlift in a contest it was 18" in the northest qualifiers both years i wanted to do it so there was just no point in training off the floor as 18" for me is 3-4" below the knee and a completely different lift. I actually did improve that lift a lot going from 260kg x 2 to 360kg x 1 on an axle but off the floor i just havent really done much and it just feels s**t since i put on all the weight so taking gear didnt help as much as i thought in relation to deadlift (squats, presses etc yes).
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 19:25 
Post Edited: 09.10.2020 @ 19:27 PM by PaulSavage
Wayne_Cowdrey said:How about some zercher action? It could bypass the "too strong" issue because of the reduced spinal loading of that movement.

I do like zercher squats, i think there great for strongman and getting strong in general but i feel them a lot more in lower back than i do front squats and it's just way too much. The problem is that since squats are essentially just assistance in order to allow enough time to recover for the next one squatting is only 4 days after the heavy deadlift session where were doing a lot of weight on eccentrics and even isometrics too plus block pulls at lower back death height, leeman style romanians which are just crippling etc Its going to be really tough to recover as the weights get heavier.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 19:11 
KevC86 said:If it comes with decent depth a 275 front squat would be impressive.

I dont really care much about depth in training to be honest but yeah it would prob be more impressive than doing 305 on the back i suppose. Should be able to do something like that for a triple i would expect judging off last time i squatted heavy but f**k knows, havent front squatted in like 2 years of something.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 19:03 
Sparrow said:Looks like some good work going on with you guys and I wish you all the best.

I don’t want to come in here and spread negativity, but you know as well as I do - there was a bet. You lost and didn’t pay. There was then a massive thread/discussion about it that has clearly been erased from your memory.

FWIW I’m not bothered about it, but you should know that if you had won, I would have paid up.

Good luck with yours and Becca’s training/competing.

Thanks. Yeah that was for a 130 log at 90 (90 hahaha) but i injured my shoulder the week after so couldnt train at all for it which was why i didnt pay you as i didnt feel that was fair and wouldnt have asked for the money the other way around personally. I did end up donating the money to a better cause though if you remember.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)09-10-2020 @ 16:57 
Felt totally wrecked last night, have pretty much felt wrecked since that massage the other week but yeah sore knees, didnt really want to put much into the squats an the 245 wasnt a challenge or anything but i feel like if i go up to planned 305kg it's just going to be too much load for the spine recovery wise so think ill try switching mine to front squats, maybe go for 275 i dont know, something lighter obviously. Becca doesnt seem to be having any recovery issues, she felt fine and hit her 200's comfortably, 215's next for her.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)08-10-2020 @ 22:33 
Post Edited: 08.10.2020 @ 23:33 PM by PaulSavage

12345678910 ... ... 452453454455456457458459460461462

You are here: HomeForumPaulSavage → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions