REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 197 guests
You are here: HomeForumBenvie → View All Posts

View All Posts: Benvie

12345678910 ... ... 260261262263264265266267268269270

» Ultimate Strongman - Summer mania live on Facebook (Go to post)10-06-2017 @ 15:18 
Post Edited: 10.06.2017 @ 15:20 PM by Benvie
It's a shame iron bibby isn't there as originally planned, I'd have expected a big log from him. Does anyone know why he isn't there?

And on an unrelated note, belsak looks to be in good form and has put himself in position to really challenge for the win.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)29-05-2017 @ 17:31 
drex50 said:Damn didn expected tha WSM 17 affair is so serious, so much posts about conspiracy and fixed final everyhere in the media and social platforms.
It puts a really bad image to the WSM institution.

I think it's just that strongman is more popular and people have more access to social media nowadays.

There have been dodgy goings on in strongman for years (much of it far more so than the alleged controversy this year) with organisers fixing things. For example the farce that cost OD Wilson the title and dougie edmunds favouring his own son (possibly more at bsm than worlds but it still happened at worlds level). I just think its far more visible now with the results being more readily available online and everyone having a platform to air their views, whether they know what they are talking about or not.

I do agree that the social media war going on makes strongman look like a total Mickey mouse sport to the casual observer.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)29-05-2017 @ 14:17 
beza said:Just read that the tape of thors Viking press was watched back by all judges at his request, and they stand by the decision all as one. Cant complain after that surely

Who are the other judges? I only know bryce and gregor edmunds.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)29-05-2017 @ 11:50 
Do people think thor will be back next year?

I wondered if there was a possibility he would choose not to compete due to his beef with the organisers. Or he might not be invited back after his social media outburst.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 20:44 
SteBennett I just think there's no need for all the hostility to each other. Strongman use to be a friendly sport. Let's not lose that through social media

This.

I remember wsm 2000 when virtanen won and karlsen who had come second ran out cheering and hugged him as he finished his stone run.

There doesn't seem to be the same camaraderie that there was back in the late 90s and early 00s.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 19:22 
Quite apart from whether thor would have won or not with another rep. Surely bryce taking a perfectly good rep off thor, making it look like he's trying to help out his buddy ed hall (whether that is the case or not, that's how it appears), it makes strongman as a sport look like a joke and takes away whatever legitimacy it had.

Not taking anything away from ed though as he did far better than many expected and smashed that final.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 15:38 
I'm no hall fan and I get what people are saying with the events favouring ed in the final. However you could argue that the events for the last few years favoured shaw and thor with a ridiculously heavy plane/truck pull and kettlebell throw which give an advantage to very heavy very tall men.

I could understand folk claiming it was a fix if one of the events was something random that suited hall but squat deadlift and viking press are all well established strongman events that they could all train ahead of time.

On an unrelated note does anyone know what happened to janashia? He was on fire last year and seems to have had a really poor final.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 14:40 
472.5kg at that stage of the competition after the squats is pretty impressive.

That four point cushion will mean he can take his time on stones and not run the risk of a mistake by rushing to beat the other two.

I didn't think ed would win going into the final but he has proved me wrong yet again. I don't like hall as the way he portrays himself online grates on me but you can't argue with the results or his abilities.

Do people think he will retire now like he said e would or will he not be able to help himself and come back to defend his title?
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 12:32 
PaulSavage said:
Big time, hopefully its not true. I think Thor can pull 465kg, shaw I'm not sure but it's hard to see ed pulling 500kg at the tail end of wsm finals in baking heat on a thickbar setup.

I doubt anyone will pull 465 at this stage of the comp in hot conditions with stones still to come. I think max deadlift is a poor choice for a finals event as guys are never going to pull the same as they do in the deadlift champs so the weights seem lower by comparison.

I guess that goes to show how far deadlifting has come on in the past few years that a 445kg deadlift doesn't seem that impressive anymore.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)28-05-2017 @ 11:04 
Post Edited: 28.05.2017 @ 11:18 AM by Benvie
Shaw coming 5th on plane pull must be one of the biggest upsets in recent history in a wsm final. I don't think anyone (ed included) would have expected that.

Fair play to ed though, barring a disaster on deadlift and stones the title is there for him. Shaw could end up in third behind thor too.

How did caron do on the plane? If shaw's legs have gone after the squat like others are suggesting caron could even push him off the podium if he did a decent plane pull.

EDIT

Just seen caron was 9th on the plane so way back now.

Imagine how close it could have been if thor had managed to grind out one more rep on the squat. Squat in the final seems to be his nemesis.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)27-05-2017 @ 16:02 
drex50 said:Edd -26
Shaw -25.5

well not enough for edd i think

Agreed, ed needed more than half a point over shaw after his two banker events.

He still has a chance but I can't see shaw losing this one now as he could well win the last three events, maybe tie the deadlift but second at worst.
» Private Coaches in Edinburgh (Go to post)25-05-2017 @ 18:29 
BaconWarrior said:
I'd recommend: Marc Keyes (posts on here as IrishMarc); John Soulsby/ William brown @ Athlete training systems and Andy Smith are the three options I can name and all are very highly spoken of!

Marc keyes definitely. My view is that if you want a strength coach you should go for one who is actually strong rather than the second 2.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)23-05-2017 @ 17:20 
MJG said:Perhaps we are guilty of overrating the British athletes a touch? Going into this I would have said we have better strength in depth than the USA but even their reserve competitor had a good run at the

To be fair benzel must have pissed off one of the organisers as that's the second year he's been a reserve with far inferior athletes getting the nod ahead of him.

To be honest it looks like z was very fortunate to make the final and wouldn't have made it if benzel hadn't broken himself.

Good to see loz making it through as he had a tough group and I expected it to be a bit of a toss up between him and shivlyakov for a final place. Hall will be chuffed loz is through as he might take some points off thor and shaw on squat. Can't see many other finalists who will trouble those two on the press though.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)22-05-2017 @ 16:26 
93hopkinsonr said:Hall won his heats deadlift. I think he has a comfortable lead with 2 events left

Apparently he only needed to do 4 reps. Looks like he's getting a nice easy run in to the final out of that group and conserving energy.
» World's Strongest Man 2017 (Go to post)21-05-2017 @ 08:17 
I was quite impressed with how fresh hall looked after his 7 reps on the log. He was obviously puffing a bit but didn't look ready to collapse like he has after events in the past. Should bode well for the running about events coming up.

12345678910 ... ... 260261262263264265266267268269270

You are here: HomeForumBenvie → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions