REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 190 guests
You are here: HomeForumHamish → View All Posts

View All Posts: Hamish

» BSM 2008 (Go to post)11-06-2008 @ 16:49 
How many qualify for WSM?
» Highland Strength Festival, Aug. 16th, Inverness, 2008 (Go to post)11-06-2008 @ 12:13 
JC said:
As I said to you at Fitlike Hamish, I really like the look of this comp, some awesome events. However, with my girlfreind due to give birth 12 days later, it probably a no no for me Unhappy

Cheers JC. Although, as I mentioned at the Fitlike comp, your girlfriend might give birth in Scotland and your child would have dual nationality! Grin
» Highland Strength Festival, Aug. 16th, Inverness, 2008 (Go to post)11-06-2008 @ 10:57 
We've been working hard on organising the comp over the last few weeks and everything is fitting into place. Here's the fairly embryonic webpage (which will be added to considerably over the next few weeks).

www.highlandstrengthfestival.co.uk

The specific events are likely to be as detailed but the weights may change a bit. Any suggestions welcome.
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)02-06-2008 @ 17:29 
Yes, it was an excellent day and a good re-introduction to competing for me after 2 years. It ran really smoothly and the weather was fantastic, especially later on. Overall, I can't be too unhappy with my performance given I'd only done 2 events training sessions prior to it. Here's my brief write up.

Log press: Got 3 reps which I was fairly happy with. Despite time available I didn't fancy trying for a 4th given recent shoulder/ lat tear. Never my best event!

Loading event: Did pretty well on this, placing second. The tractor wheel was a total b**ch to lift. I tried it with both hands and wheel out in front of me. Got about 2 steps and realised that a third would have torn my hamstring. Picked it up from the side instead - not as fast but avoided injury! Not putting keg up on it's end cost me few seconds but wouldn't have altered my placing.

Deadlift hold: Only managed just over 10 secs but can't complain as I've done no grip training in over 2 years. Mid placing I think.

Yoke/ farmers medley: This is the only event I know I could have done better on. Messed it up by wearing stupid fleece top that meant bar slipped off my back towards the end. I was going pretty quick with it too up until that point - yoke tends to be good event for me. Wasted lots of energy and time fannying about trying to get the weight up to the line with it keeping slipping of my back. I was shagged out for the 120kg farmers and dropped them around 2/3s way up coarse. Normally this would be fairly easy run (although it was uphill in the comp which didn't help either!). Mind you, my last 2 injuries were on farmers so I should be counting myself lucky that nothing broke during this event!

Stones: this was the only event where my shoulder/lat tear hindered me. First 2 stones were easy but I just couldn't get the height on the third one (which was more like 135kg and not 120kg as indicated!). My upper lat was hurting really bad when I was trying to get the height on the stone to get it over the lip of the barrel.

I'm more than happy that I did the comp and got out relatively unscathed injury-wise. It was good to put faces to some of the names on various forums!
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)30-05-2008 @ 16:36 
All the best to everyone else that's competing tomorrow. The weather forecast looks not too bad either - could be a great day!
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)29-05-2008 @ 14:56 
Post Edited: 29.05.2008 @ 15:03 PM by Hamish
I think the one to watch might be Bruce Jepp. Previous national level powerlifting competitor and been training hard for strongman for few months now. He's got a 300+ squat and deadlift and weighs over 120kg. Maybe not the most mobile but who knows...
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)29-05-2008 @ 13:44 
JC said:
Hamish said:
Just to let you know, you'll need at least 3.5 hours to get to Iain's from Edinburgh. 4 hours to be on the safe side. By my reckoning, that's leaving at 7am on day of contest! But at least you'll all have excuses in the bag for not beating the Scots! Wink Grin

Why do you think were sleeping were we are!!! "We are fitter, faster & stronger than them, it was just last night on that dam rock hard floor!!" Wink Happy

I've already got my hamstring/ shoulder/ back injury/ general old age excuses in so you're not going to get me on that! Grin
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)29-05-2008 @ 12:31 
Just to let you know, you'll need at least 3.5 hours to get to Iain's from Edinburgh. 4 hours to be on the safe side. By my reckoning, that's leaving at 7am on day of contest! But at least you'll all have excuses in the bag for not beating the Scots! Wink Grin
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)28-05-2008 @ 17:28 
Unfortunately, there's been a break down in communication between my pal and his wife and they're booked up already! However, this hotel is also very close by:

http://www.newbogniearms.co.uk/

They're very reasonable and may well do a deal if you explain your predicament! If they're not booked up they'd like to get another room filled I think.
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)28-05-2008 @ 15:14 
JC said:
Joni said:
the drive up will be filled with trash talk Grin

Eeeeexcellent Cool

I will let you & Ben mull over accomodation, just let mew know

Although, the thought of a 10am rise and mere 5min drive to the comp is appealing

If there's 3 of you for 2 nights and no breakfast then I can try and negotiate a total of £120?
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)28-05-2008 @ 14:26 
Joni said:
30 for us all? Or per person? personally dont need the brekkie part, and ben is probably in the same boat - hassle to start organising vegan food at a short notice...

It's his wife that does the B+B thing. I think the £30 would be per person. I can get back to him and negotiate for you. Are you thinking of the one night (Fri) or Sat too?
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)28-05-2008 @ 13:49 
JC said:
Joni said:
Hamish said:
You guys sorted out your accommodation yet? A friend of mine lives just 3 miles away from the event venue and lets rooms out in his house. I think he's got 2 empty that week-end. I can ask him about it if you're still looking?

that is not actually a bad idea, depends on how much it is?

Buzz/brian has kindly offered his hospitality near edinburgh, but doesnt have any matresses, beds or anything Grin

Totally agree mate, but as you said, depends on the price. A ten min trek to the venue rather than 3hrs in the morning would be ideal.

Hamish, can you get us a price (there will be 3 of us)

He's saying £30 B+B. Let me know what you think.
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)28-05-2008 @ 08:05 
You guys sorted out your accommodation yet? A friend of mine lives just 3 miles away from the event venue and lets rooms out in his house. I think he's got 2 empty that week-end. I can ask him about it if you're still looking?
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)27-05-2008 @ 13:57 
I'm not sure if this has been said elsewhere but competitors should be there by 11am for the comp to start around 12ish. The directions to the venue are fairly straightforward but you might think you've gone the wrong way when you come off the main road - you need to go a few hundred metres down a farm track to an old farm steading out on it's own!
» FitLike Gym Strongman Challenge 31/05/2008 (Go to post)24-05-2008 @ 00:25 
JC said:
You know how many confirmed entrants we have Hamish?

I think that there are 10 now. You never know on the day though!

You are here: HomeForumHamish → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions