REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 3 members and 39 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumkirkynick → View All Posts

View All Posts: kirkynick

12345678910 ... ... 755756757758759760761762763764765

» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 09:06 
Post Edited: 11.11.2011 @ 09:07 AM by kirkynick
MarkClegg said:I wonder what comp this is at the beginning .. I see Nikolay Peshalov (Bul) lifting a measly 110kg snatch .. Even though it's Black and White I don't think it's that old . 1988 ?

Edit ! - it's says on the banner 1989 Mark ! You twit !

Happy Easy to be deceived by the b/w footage though...
As far as i can tell, it doesn't say what the comp is at the beginning.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)11-11-2011 @ 06:07 
Post Edited: 11.11.2011 @ 06:41 AM by kirkynick
Here is another USSR video on Olympic Lifting and training for the lifts.

In the first minute or two it says that'in the USSR, 102,000 people train for Olympic lifting". Whether this is true or not I don't know, but it is a lot less than 1,000,000. Even if it is true, the figure today will be a lot less.

» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 14:02 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 14:03 PM by kirkynick
Just been watching these old Soviet vids on how to learn the lifts.
Sorry but they are only in Russian, just thought they would be interesting.
(At least I can understand themGrin)

Learning the Snatch (Russian)

Learning the Clean and Jerk (Russian)
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 12:53 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 13:25 PM by kirkynick
Just for interest. At 6.00 there's an interview
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 12:25 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 13:03 PM by kirkynick
Wigan said:
Apologies for the original post, yes i meant the USSR and not Russia (just plain lazyness on my part rather than ignorance, i've always referred to USSR as Russia)
Not sure I agree when you say it isnt/wasnt a big sport. I saw coverage of a full blown press conference held by the Russian Federation following this years European Championships it seemed fairly high profile, and didnt Dimitry Klokov appear on the Russian version of Strictly Come Dancing Grin Not strictly a valid indication of the size of the sport, but it doesnt come across as a minority sport over there.
Also looking back, if you look at footage from old Russian Championships from the 80s/90s they always appear to have large audiences (not football stadium size but a good few thousand).
Having said all that, you live there so i will bow to your superior knowledge Wink

Not at all mate. I am by no means an expert. Just giving my opinion. I might be talking utter bulls**t. There are probably a lot of factors involved. I'm in Russia for the birds...

Also nowadays you don't have the sports schools in Russia like there were back in the USSR days. Most sports are underfunded nowadays. Maybe another reason for a drop or stagnation in the standards. But China, like you said, has adopted the sport school system of the old USSR and it is obviously working well.

I would still say it is a minority sport in Russia. But no doubt it is a LOT more popular than in the UK though.

The advent of powerlifting in Russia and the ex-Soviet Union is maybe another reason the standard of olympic lifting has gone down/stagnated. Powerlifting is much easier for people to get into.

I would love the day when olympic weighlifting and wrestling would be an option in every school in the UK. We would produce so many good athletes due to it, not just wrestlers and olympic weightlifters.

Can't see it happening though. Went round my old school when i was back in the UK. When i asked about 'sports day', that we had every year when i was at school, the sports teacher said 'oh, we don't have that anymore, kids arren't interested nowadays'.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 12:01 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 12:02 PM by kirkynick
Joni said:
hey a sidenote, but anyway Happy actually this is other way around, sports with high levels of participation see very slow incremental progress, and low levels or new sports see huge leaps and bounds in how it progresses. Simply because bigger the pool of athletes, higher the set standards are already, and progress from that will be minimal
(discounting usain bolt, bubka and all other freakish athletes who sometimes appear...)
but that would kind of support what Wigan said, because of the fairly big number of lifters coming from certain corners of the world, the standards are already set high and world records while they still are broken once in a while, are pretty solid.

I can see what you mean. But I think, and i may well be wrong, that as i said before, today in countries such as Russia and other ex-Soviet Union countries there isn't the incentive to take up weightlifting like before... there is no or very little money in it! So the gifted athletes tend nowadays to drift into more lucrative spheres.

But who knows? Really is difficult to say. Would be interesting to see how many olympic lifters there are officially today. But in Russia you are unlikely to get a true figure, as they don't know themselves and quite often bulls**t.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 11:45 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 11:52 AM by kirkynick
Wigan said:
It was many years ago and referred to the old Soviet Union, i cant remember the source.
Just had a look at the population of the old USSR and in 1990 it was in excess of 290 million, so a membership of 1 million in what is/was a national sport doesnt seem that unrealistic.
I could be wrong though Happy

aargh OK! It's just that you said the Russian Weightlifting Federation. Remember the USSR and Russia were not the same thing (Russia was only one of the countries in the USSR). Russia only has a population of 142,000,000. Even then I don't believe there were 1,000,000 people who trained specifically for olympic weightlifting. It really isn't and wasn't as big a sport as you may think.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 11:44 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 11:49 AM by kirkynick
Another point is that back in the USSR there were incentives to become a good sportsman i.e. money, security but those incentives don't exist on the same scale nowadays in weightlifting. This means that youngsters who might have gone into weightlifting had they been born in the USSR now go into a more lucrative sport or simply don't become sportsmen at all and enter the business world.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 11:22 
Post Edited: 12.04.2014 @ 05:07 AM by kirkynick
Wigan said:
3) Not sure, i remember reading that the Russian Weightlifting Federatation had 1,000,000 members which is pretty big, plus the likes of China have sports schools were children are selected for a chosen sport at an early age, so there has been some pretty serious effort made in some large parts of the World to advance the sport.

I don't believe for a second that the Russian Weightlifting Federation had 1,000,000 members (even back in the days of the Soviet Union). Not unless that figure included all the 'physical culturists'.

I would imagine though that in China there are a lot of lifters, what with the population being so large and like you said due to sports schools.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 10:59 
davycummings said:
Makes you wonder, in most sports the standard continues to rise, but this has not been so much the case in WL. Any thoughts on why?

I would have thought due to:

1) Better drug control
2) There isn't much room for improvement from a technology standpoint. For example sprinters can get better surfaces to sprint on or better running shoes.
3) Olympic lifting isn't exactly a mass participation sport, even in the countries which are good at it. Hence, your not going to see such leaps and bounds forwards in records.
» what is the most weight ever lifted overhead (Go to post)10-11-2011 @ 04:10 
Post Edited: 10.11.2011 @ 04:34 AM by kirkynick
- 266kg Clean and Jerk by Taranenko (in competition)

- 270 kg jerk behind the neck by M. Koklyev and G. Taylor (Verified)

- 275kgs Behind the neck Jerk by Udo Beyer (shot putter/unverified)
- 270kgs Behind the neck Jerk by Werner Gunthor (shot putter/unverified)
- Many other unverified big lifts.

The 266kg C+J by Taranenko is the most impressive. If he could do that in comp, he would probably have been shifting bigger weights in the jerk behind head (that is if he ever maxed out in training).

But no-one really knows what these guys or other SHW weightlifters and shot putters did in training, it's all conjecture.
» Best TV programmes from your youth (Go to post)06-11-2011 @ 07:30 
Post Edited: 06.11.2011 @ 07:34 AM by kirkynick
Dempsey and Makepeace

The Fall Guy

Cheers

Hill Street Blues

» Best TV programmes from your youth (Go to post)04-11-2011 @ 12:51 
Post Edited: 04.11.2011 @ 13:04 PM by kirkynick
Mork and Mindy

Tiswas

The Waltons

The Six Million Dollar Man

» Deadlift advice (Go to post)03-11-2011 @ 11:48 
Post Edited: 03.11.2011 @ 11:50 AM by kirkynick
Simeon said:When I deadlift heavy, the bar tends to drift away from my legs. I think this is probably a strength issue as the bar slides up nicely when using lighter weights but i'm not sure. I really feel like its limiting my pull.

Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying this?

thanks

I'm no expert by any means... but for what it's worth! First, post a video.
Second, it could be that you are lifting your hips too quickly and using your back to lift the weight and not the quads i.e. you end up stiff-legging it, hence the bar travels out away from your body too much.

But like I said, post a video. Much easier to see what you do or don't do.
» Best TV programmes from your youth (Go to post)03-11-2011 @ 11:32 
Post Edited: 03.11.2011 @ 11:36 AM by kirkynick
Starsky and Hutch

Chips

The Professionals

12345678910 ... ... 755756757758759760761762763764765

You are here: HomeForumkirkynick → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2019 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto