REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 171 guests
You are here: HomeForumhrat → View All Posts

View All Posts: hrat

» Mr Untrained Average (Go to post)14-07-2011 @ 11:55 
I tried teaching the big lifts to a friend of a friend recently. Nevermind weight, it took an hour to explain how to squat to depth without coming up on the heels, and keep back extension to start a DL. Of course, given a couple sessions that'd be fixed, but he hurt too much to come back...

FWIW I could squat about 40kg, bench 10kg dumbbells and DL maybe 50kg as a 60kg self-taught girl.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)13-07-2011 @ 23:23 
Back from Paris at lunchtime, went climbing this evening. Followed a 6a on the big overhang, pretty easy. Should be able to lead it, except falling off last time has dented my confidence. I hope it'll come back when I can start going regularly again.

Next week is going to be awkward. Tomorrow and Friday need this week's sessions, then I'm busy Sat through Weds. I think I'll go for a Vol/Int session combination next Thursday, something like Squats and bench; heavy 1x5, backoff 2-3x8 then DL according to plan 1x3 heavy plus 3x3 speed. Then Friday push presses and s**t as normal.
» Who's got a fear of heights? (Go to post)12-07-2011 @ 14:33 
Not afraid of heights per se, but I hate jumping off things where I can't feel what will catch me. I've been up a yacht mast, only 30ft but swayed all over the place. High ropes courses are mostly OK, unless you have to jump and the rope catches you. I can do it, but it takes a while.

Climbing is OK, I trust my belayer, and generally only fall when I have no time to think about anything. I did go outdoor lead climbing in Wales this year, my first time, very easy stuff I could have soloed (Tryfan in Snowdonia, about 60 degree slope and very grippy) but having to place your own runners is daunting. Sitting 80ft up a cliff on a multipitch I was getting that "I could jump off here" feeling. Especially when you're near the edge of the slab.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)10-07-2011 @ 17:19 
Will be away Mon and Tues so did my volume session today. Meant a 45min trip into Glasgow... Might be a little obsessed with this. Alright, quite sleepy but volume days are light enough to muscle through on willpower.
Sq 72.5 5x3 (same weight as last time; in theory it's the volume that works) Fine.Hot and muggy so ended up as "that gal" with no shirt on.
Bench 40 5x5 same theory, volume and speed. Arch was better, all were really fast and easy off the chest, just a bit slow to lockout towards the end.
DL 90 1x3 fine, back ext good. 65 3x3 on 30sec mark, stood on a plate. Easier than last week.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)08-07-2011 @ 15:10 
Utterly knackered today, sleepy and useless. Tried but didn't get much done.

Press strict 20xlots, 30x2
Push press 1s 30, 35, 40x1 2 fails at 40 then 35 x2x1 Just couldn't get the rack, kept putting it on my collar bone.
Chins 4,4 inbetween
Rows 42.5 3x5 alright
Strict press 25 x8+1 came up on toes on last.
Messed a bit with a cable machine.
» Wiegieboard gets his grunt on. (Go to post)08-07-2011 @ 12:35 
Ooh will the unequippeds be your first? I'll def be along to spectate then!
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)07-07-2011 @ 21:07 
Even when fresh, I'm afraid, and it's similar with overhead press. Now I've figured it out, I can work around it, but it was getting pretty infuriating.

Highlight of yesterdays kettlebells was a couple push presses with a 16kg, with right and left arms. Pretty fun.
Went to a wedding yesterday, slept alright but not long enough so was pretty knackered. Bacon and egg butty for breakfast helped a lot tho'

Messed with some "clams", hips have been bothering me, I'm wondering if it's down to knee caving or just a bit of overuse.
Squat 87.5 1x5 Pretty good stance I think. A bit of knee caving, slight GMing but felt good.
Front squat 50 1x3 (no belt)
RDL 65 2x8 grip going, had to hook second set.
Bench 46 1x5 couldn't find the lovely arch, but not bad. 3 fine reps, last two bridged Must not make a habit of this.
Pretty good all considered. Lovely new Toro belt is breaking in, but it's murder to fasten, and makes it hard to breathe on 5rep sets.
» does it piss anyone else off (Go to post)07-07-2011 @ 14:32 
Harry said:I usually dont mind if its a dip bar.

Squat rack, deadlifting and the bench press.....nah. Wait your turn like I do.

Why? I spend like 30seconds lifting and then a couple minutes resting per set. Loads of time for someone else to get s**t done, even with switching plates
» My PL training log :) (Go to post)06-07-2011 @ 12:22 
Hey, I missed your squat PR, well done with that. 3 plates is where it starts to look pretty cool.

U benching once a week then? How's that working out?
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)06-07-2011 @ 12:15 
I bench like a girl. Seriously, I've read that women tend to have very high rep strength but crap 1RM strength. Squat and dead that's no way true, but on bench I can rep something for 5 yet still fail completely 2.5kg higher.

30min swim yesterday, will do kettlebell class tonight as climbing partner is away.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)05-07-2011 @ 11:11 
Not sure. I moved to feet more forwards, about 3months back and found it stronger, but since then, I think it's drifted in a few inches too far. Narrow gives me a lot of forwards lean, which is why my back collapses, but even moderate-wide feels awkward on the hips. I think widening back to just outside shoulders is what I want. We'll see.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)04-07-2011 @ 23:04 
Yeah, Reevesy, arched/straight is what I aim for, but RepMaxes by definition break down a bit. You're way better off being strong in the rounded position, then if it happens, no bother. Plus, I read an article claiming that rounding when the position is locked is fine, it's when things are flexing, i.e when going from straight to rounded, that's the real issue.

Todays volume sess;
Squat 72.5 5x3 Fine, wider stance still. Not feeling very tight, getting a bit of knee wobble etc, but I always do.
Bench 41 5x5. 5th set had a breakthrough with the arch, felt great, till I screwed it up by bridging my 5th rep. Will keep working at it.
DL 85 1x3 alright, but a bit slow. 65 3x3 on the 30seconds, stood on 20kg bumper. Deficit killed my speed, so clearly something I need to work on.
Plank+20kg 1.05

Good session, but it's so hot at the minute.
» Genevieve's Goal of Gaining -Not Grinding. (Look at all that alliteration!) (Go to post)03-07-2011 @ 16:44 
Yep, depth on that was fine, and it was fast. If rack pulls from that height are helping, keep doing 'em. They must be helping your grip!
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)02-07-2011 @ 21:46 
Hah shoulda thought of that. Bottom of the sternum then. I've not got the hang of rack pulls, and I'm too lazy to set them up. Do you start rounded and straighten or just hold the rounded posn?
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)02-07-2011 @ 21:24 
I used to get backaches right around bra level, and never decided whether it was structural kyphosis or just bad posture. Wonder if that's related, I'm still pretty slouchy. Whenever I try to list weak points I end up with about half my body, so I suppose I just need to get stronger in general. I'll try a set of front squats, cos I can never have too many squats, see if that helps. Hopefully give me bit of technique work, learning to stay more upright.

You are here: HomeForumhrat → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions