REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 226 guests
You are here: HomeForumhrat → View All Posts

View All Posts: hrat

» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)15-09-2011 @ 19:57 
Right. So like a muppet did a kettlebells class yesterday in lieu of climbing. Since I'm still not 100 percent squats were a bust today, but I'm starting to figure out the issues I think.
Yesterday;
kettlebells 40min, plenty of swings, bit of overhead. Followed by;
pushpress 40 5x1 easy. strict 27.5x5, 27.5x3+25x2, 25x3 Could barely lift my arms by end of third set; this always happens. Interspersed 45degree chins 4,4,4.

TODAY; Squat 87.5x3 could have muscld out more but did not. vid tomorrow. Grip far better, think I can get the bar lower by widening, might help. Next fix is the knee caving. Perhaps foot angle?
1x21 55 still only breathing that feels this.
Bench, wide grip (pinky on ring) 50 1x2 plus 1 with lopsided side spots. Warming to wide grip finally.
Some GHRs; treid knees on top of rollers and nearly face-planted Hard.
Chins; wide 3, narrow 4.
Played with SSB but couldn't get it to sit right.
» Another Glasgow City Barbell Lifter... (Go to post)15-09-2011 @ 19:48 
Hey, pretty sure I saw you today, was at Scotstoun; I was the gal who wasn't Bernie Happy Jerks looked pretty damn good to me.
» Dow do you make unflavoured protein taste better (Go to post)13-09-2011 @ 12:56 
JackRevans said:
also i found that when used in large doses creatine helps one put on weight (probably water weight), but no noticable difference in strength when taken in ither large or small doses

It's not supposed to make you stronger though, just possibly help with recovery between sets, esp. if you don't eat much red meat.

What about sticking in Tabasco or something to cover the rancid? Sounds like sweet is just making it worse.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)13-09-2011 @ 09:08 
It's not the s**tness, it's the bordering on dangerous-ness that's getting to be a problem. Ditching overhead is an accident waiting to happen.

Anyway, someone suggested fixing upperbody, and I realised; I have weak wrists and let them bend back, so to get downwards force I shove my elbows sky high. Width isn't the problem, wider ruins what shelf I have. So I need to stretch shoulders and concentrate on wrists. Had a crack yesterday with wrist wraps and think I see what to do, and how it might help, but is going to take time. Also think my bar posn is middling, not on traps but not powerlifter low either.

Other thing is stance. I tried using my natural landing from a powerclean stance and hips felt so weak in the hole. I've been training pretty narrow, and I think I should go wider. I'm going to try it, anyway.

Also, still a bit cold/mucus-y so cut volume some.
Yesterday;
Squats 70 5x3 These were OK but not tight at the bottom; I'll drop weight back and work up.
Bench 40 4x5 1x3 Pretty good, had the arch and drive, but shoulders tired from holding bar different on squats, just dead by 5th set.

Fixing my squat is not going to be easy dammit.
» deadlift critque (Go to post)12-09-2011 @ 10:09 
Pulling rounded from a rounded setup is different to setting up flat and rounding as you pull of course. The second is far less "safe"
» ksohhjjkk (Go to post)12-09-2011 @ 10:06 
JackRevans said:
i think iv figured out why im so crap at squats.
i think its because it feels un natural and aquard and just wrong, so my body thinks theyre a lot harder than they actually are. for example, il do one rep and it will be realy hard and feel like i can do no more, then the next rep will feel the same, then the next rep the same but i can allways get more reps. so im just going to keep increasing the weight and see where it takes me

That's just squats mate. Every rep feels hard, sometimes even the warmups, yet somehow they still move.
Can you punch/drill more holes in the belt? Space them like the current ones and you won't weaken it significantly.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)12-09-2011 @ 10:03 
I made a thread about it in the videos section, got some good advice over there. Honestly haven't let my back round like that in over a year. I think a lot of annoyance and some ammonia was too much and I wasn't thinking. Really want to get a new vid to prove I'm not just s**t.

Fiddling with a broomstick tho, I think my wrists and grip are becoming a significant problem. I'm going to try wrist wraps and thumbs around grip etc to try and fix that. Also think I do everything pretty narrow stance, and I let my knees slide and... I've mentioned before the stance problems; when I'm under the bar I just forget. Ah well, keep trying huh?
» Help with squats (Go to post)09-09-2011 @ 22:56 
Great explanation, cheers wiegie. I'll have a crack next week and try and get some more vids. Hopefully something I'm not embarrassed to upload this time. I'll try the band thing as well, because the knee caving has been a problem for far too long, with many different style variations.

(I was a kinda expecting a more 'lol they're sh*t, drop the weight and do it right' response Shouldn't browse bodybuilding.com I guess )
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)09-09-2011 @ 14:34 
Today;
push press 40 x2x1, 42.5x4x1 sets PR, getting it easy for 4, no fails
chins; 4 narrow to start, pllel 4,3, pullup 1
rows 45 3x5 alright

6 aside football. Didn't feel too bad, despite sniffles, but crashing hard by the end.
» Help with squats (Go to post)09-09-2011 @ 11:00 
Heh, I swear it's usually much, much better. That was a limit set on a bad day; everything wrong is really exaggerated. The back rounding especially, hasn't happened any previous sets except 1RMs, and normally wouldn't even have tried reps 2 and 3 but I was annoyed.
Vid here http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/Pull-3-plates,-learn-to-b...
is more like my usual "ugly" reps
» Help with squats (Go to post)09-09-2011 @ 10:29 
Been running into the same problem for a while now, of caving knees, shooting my arse back, rounding my back and ditching overhead.
In June I struggled a bit with 90 for 3 and failed 102.5 in a comp. Yesterday I struggled but muscled out (bit of a bad day) 95x3 yet I keep doing the same ditch with 100
Vids f 95x3 and 100xF from yesterday;

The 95 are hideous, was having a bad day, not usually near that bad. But shows exactly how I fail. Couple questions; angle is bad, but does that stance look stupidly narrow? Is there trick to driving arse up not back? How to fix knee caving (except by dropping the weight)?

Ta for any thoughts.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)09-09-2011 @ 10:19 
Come down with a cold. Stuffy sinuses, and finding it hard to get to sleep. Explains my wimpyness. Hard to say if it affects lifting tho', I think it just takes the sharpness off, not really strength.
Little tip tho'; don't use ammonia with blocked sinuses. You'll be smelling it all the next day Happy

Session at Warriors;
Squat 95x3 Got them, and depth was OK, but were ugly. I felt I was chicken to put my arse down, so dropped chest instead (was a big problem when I was learning), although not terribly obvious in vid.I think my stance has drifted yet AGAIN. What's horribly obvious is the rounding back on the ascent. Felt it, but couldn't fight it.

Stupidly tried 100 with wraps and failed miserably;

Then did 50 1x21 hard, really hard to hold the bar, kept hitching it up to a high bar posn.
Tried 50 on bench but line all wrong so dropped to 47.5, 1x4 easy and good drive.
Played with DL lockouts/DOH holds at 100kg and some GHRs
» Stupid newbie question. (Go to post)08-09-2011 @ 13:42 
IPF rulebook; http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/Technical-Rules.50.0.html if you want more info. (Covers GBPF in the UK)

For another newb question; what about wrist wraps under IPF rules? Do they have to be name brand? And anyone know where to get them for a decent price if so?
» Random pains are damn annoying (Go to post)08-09-2011 @ 10:51 
Yanno, last week off was 3 weeks back, week in the lakes messing about in boats, although first session back was an attempt at a powerlifting comp, and a s**tty attempt too.

Diet and stretching have slipped a lot, as has any strenuous activity except lifting. Hopefully fixing those will help a fair bit. Oh yeah, and now I have a cold, which probably explains things too.

(Erm, what have you been doing with your arse?)

Cheers.
» Pull 3 plates, learn to bench (Go to post)08-09-2011 @ 10:45 
Swim Tuesday, climb yesterday. I was defeated by a 5. Not badly, just one move and there wasn't anything to cheat with. Last week was bad in terms of confidence, and it's been that way for a while. The 5 I fell off a while back, because my grip went, screwed me over. 5s are no longer "safe". BUT yesterday was rather less fear and rather more dead grip. 3 weeks without a session and I've lost a lot...

You are here: HomeForumhrat → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions