REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 203 guests
You are here: HomeForumkennybaby → View All Posts

View All Posts: kennybaby

» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)22-01-2017 @ 23:51 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Cover the floor with Argos catalogues.

Wonder how many I would need.. lol
» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)22-01-2017 @ 21:19 
What sort of dimensions would you guys make it .. mainly for deadlifts and variation of deadlift using a strength shop barstard power bar and ss barstard deadlift bar .. I found some good mats at 500x500 with reasonable cost 17mm designed for gyms .. I was thinking 1m x 2m ish .. ?
» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)15-01-2017 @ 11:19 
Post Edited: 15.01.2017 @ 11:20 AM by kennybaby
Was looking at various bars ...

Rogue deadlift bar and rogue power bar IPF approved cost 876 euros delivered thought on these bars and other options .. guess that's about 766 Gbp
» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)15-01-2017 @ 11:09 
Pikefingers said:I second the recommendation for old carpet and ply. Old carpet can easy be acquired for free if you ask nicely at a carpet shop. You might even get lucky with the plywood too at your local recycling centre. You don't need much.

Cheers man for information ... can get access to plenty of carpet as I knows a fitter. What thickness ply would you guys aim for
» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)15-01-2017 @ 10:58 
Post Edited: 15.01.2017 @ 11:02 AM by kennybaby
AMH_Power said:
Hi mate.
All you need is two pieces of ply with a couple of layers of carpet underlay between them. Then for the top use stable matting, then bang some screws through it all to keep it together.
I have a single ply with stable matting which is adequate for the garage, but if it was indoor the extra ply and underlay would take some of the thud away.
Obviously the larger and more layered the ply, the more its weight would be distributed across the house so you don't end up making an impromptu visit from 4th floor to ground while still holding on to the bar!
I can send links if needed

Cheers man ... yeah some links would be good .. I've got about 9ft of height to play with so more protection and overkill is good
» Home gym equipment and floor protection (Go to post)15-01-2017 @ 10:48 
Post Edited: 15.01.2017 @ 10:51 AM by kennybaby
I'm thinking of training at home, I've a spare room that's about 6m x 5m ... it's on fourth floor of my house, part on original build of 1883 townhouse. Joists are old skool, and it's solid.

2 areas really for ideas.

1. Protecting the floor from deadlifts, although maybe not ideal for deadlifts adequate cushioning, and controlling drops should make this manageable. What options are available off the shelf or self build.

2. Equipment .. my routine is day 1 deadlift flexible bar, deficit stiff bar, paused def stiff, paused stiff bar then squats, day 2 squats, deadlift stiff bar, rack pulls. Day 3 bench, close grip, curls for the girls

I'm too old to be doing much else as it knackers me out. I'm an ABPU member so they use deadlift bars. I'm around the 250kg 1rm range ..

Was thinking of 1 stiff bar 1 deadlift bar, SS thin plates, comp bench dimensions used in, rack for squat, etc ...

Thoughts on this idea.
» DOH deadlift thread of love (Go to post)14-01-2017 @ 18:30 
Post Edited: 14.01.2017 @ 18:33 PM by kennybaby
Did 190kg the other day on TPB .. belt and chalk .. will have a proper go at some point .. think BW on the day was 90kg as I've gained a couple of kgs over xmas
» GPC lifting log (Go to post)21-12-2016 @ 23:18 
Post Edited: 21.12.2016 @ 23:20 PM by kennybaby
matthewvc said:
lol thanks. do miss the GTR insanity on the acceleration - cold wet weather and BMWs do not mix. my mate span his M4 at 80 on motorway last winter in 'sport plus' mode (so traction control still engaged)... luckily got away with just superficial damage.

I fffg hated my BMW in the snow ... especially as my parking is round the back of my house and it's tight as a gnats chuff to get round, mrs caved in the door and whole rear wheel panel one winter getting round when she couldn't get traction, no more for me until I get a house with easy parking.

will try 2 bench sessions a weeks from new year and see if it is better or worse .. don't expect miracles on Bench but something close to 130kg would be more respectable
» Speed Deadlifts (Go to post)21-12-2016 @ 23:00 
Post Edited: 21.12.2016 @ 23:11 PM by kennybaby
matthewvc said:
explosive speed is in part due to fast twitch genetics as well, andy is a sight to behold in full flow ripping them up at ralls.
but everyone even mo farah genetics can improve by working on that phase: switching on more fibres as quick as possible.
what that means is every pull should be explosive as possible even if bar weight is relatively heavy.
'ABC': Always Be Compensatory-accelerating.
and
'AIDA': aggression, intensity, deadlift, accelerate..

I think this is about right .. IMO

Looked at 305kg speed looked good from floor IMO .. slowed into lockout so maybe block pulls, SLDL, paused DLs .. might be other options
» GPC lifting log (Go to post)21-12-2016 @ 22:43 
Post Edited: 21.12.2016 @ 22:47 PM by kennybaby
matthewvc said:
I'm convinced the more often you can train and recover from (and not get injured from) the better you get... a very Soviet/Bulgarian mindset.

Interesting thoughts on benching through a shoulder issue, I've been doing once a week to ease it off might go twice again for a while and see what happens ... bench is wank can't get much worse, so worth trying another session a week ..

Never really done DOHG what extra benefits do they offer .. just grip ?
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)13-12-2016 @ 15:18 
Post Edited: 13.12.2016 @ 15:21 PM by kennybaby
BrenWad said:The freaks are freaks because they have the genes that utilize drugs exceptionally well. The average lifter is lucky to get ten percent.

I don't believe that at all in fact I believe it's the absolute reverse .... a very genetically gifted drug free lifter prepared to put in 6 to 8 years hard training with few disruptions for work etc at the peak years drug free then hops on the HP will get much less than average joe who has done the same number of drug free peak years with similar lifestyle disruption by some margin, because it creates a capability that was never there in the first place for average joe and thus closes the natural gap
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)13-12-2016 @ 11:51 
I'm 46 going on 47 .... plus I've only got one instead of 2 .... my test levels are naturally low period and have been for ages, although they're normal according to the medical tests which can mean just about anything, most days still feel like I've been run over by a train even before I start training.. test levels naturally might be fairly high in the 20s and very early 30s but then they're on a fast downward spiral ... if I hopped on the sauce with some vigour I'd find it difficult IMO not hit at least 25% on deadlift and improve my wank bench tremendously and add maybe 10kg of solid weight .. squat I'm not sure as I've pins in my hip which make squats tricky to control but there's still going to be good upward movement
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)12-12-2016 @ 11:03 
Post Edited: 12.12.2016 @ 11:05 AM by kennybaby
AdamT said:
Probably for top athletes. I have seen guys that couldn't bench 100 or deadlift 180 natty. Yet push 200 bench for reps and deadlift over 300 juiced as bodybuilders.
I believe it's a fair bit more than 15% for the average guy. I think the 10% figure is fired about by guys that use and just want to pretend that drugs are only giving them a slight edge.
If it only gives a slight edge, then just use a jab or two of test a week. No point paying thousands for huge cocktails to gain 10% imo.

Agreed .. I've seen similar sorts of numbers.

The issue is finding someone who has reached close to or is at there lifetime genetic potential at elite level and is 100% lifetime drug free and then moves onto the sauce and is fully open with usage and results benefits. This I'm afraid is harder to find than a small piece of hay in a gigantic stack of needles.

Getting to the genetic lifetime potential on the sauce is relatively straight forward in comparison to grinding out year after year hard small gains drug free, which even in your stronger years can been depressingly difficult past 85% or so of your genetic potential.. Once on the sauce it is then difficult to establish what the lifetime potential would have been as this results will have been skewed.
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)12-12-2016 @ 08:27 
unit94 said:I thought the consensus was around 15% although this could just be opinion with no real data

Based on no real hard data ... because it's hard to get a straight answer on benefits for various reasons, so purely on what I have seen in the past, 30 years in gyms. I'd say in most weight classes i.e. those wishing to stay at or maybe 1 class up from drug free weight 15% would be a minimum for someone pushing things along with half decent training and response, who know what they're doing, and have a good long term plan to hold gains. In the SHW where bodyweight isn't an issue 20% is going to be on the minimum side .. again if the lifter is on the gogo juice for a long period and is prepared to put on more weight and push usage the more the gain. These would be for squat, you'd maybe get a tiny bit more out of deadlift, and certainly get more out of bench ..
» Jezza Uepa 470kg raw squat & 400kg raw front squat (Go to post)10-12-2016 @ 18:10 
Post Edited: 10.12.2016 @ 22:23 PM by kennybaby
matthewvc said:
the IPF is the most prestigious powerlifting fed, one with most history, biggest affiliates and members. so it's ridiculous to not assume there's plenty of dopage going on esp with no real OOC program.

Exactly right .. I don't know what prize money is in non tested Feds but it's not big money .. maybe a few grand here and there ... any cash comes from sponsors, training seminars, coaching, social media and YouTube hits etc not from prize money and the claim of being drug free via the IPF will no doubt assist in non prize money earnings and sponsors, as it's easily the most prestigious fed.

If you look at simple stats things are clear either the top untested squatters are wank or the top IPF squatters are on the same gear, cycling off to beat the tests.

From powerlifting watch ... this dude had 470kg/1036 at IPF depth again more strict than untested Feds

WR 308 sleeves 920 and wraps 1052 untested so wraps give big advantage, same lifter 132lbs increase ..

SHW sleeves 1005 tested, wraps 1069 untested so difference 64 lbs .. less than advantage than wraps give you ... with no restriction on use ... 5 years on the sauce most give at least 15% as a conservative estimate especially at SHW, I don't exactly know as I'm lifetime drug free, some of those open with numbers might give a better estimate ... in terms of extra bodyweight, improved recovery, more muscle mass, etc etc ... so the numbers don't stack up ... wraps plus gear must be a lot lot lot of extra kgs

... apparently on the basis of something I might of overheard at some point in time alledgedly from a dog playing piano in a pub while watching coronation street ..

I stopped believing in Santa and the tooth fairy when I was about 5 that was 40 odd years ago .. Happy

You are here: HomeForumkennybaby → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions