REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 122 guests
You are here: HomeForum1369phil → View All Posts

View All Posts: 1369phil

12345678910 ... ... 133134135136137138139140141142143

» weirdest thing you've ever seen a gym. (Go to post)23-02-2011 @ 18:24 
Guy at my old gym (1980's) doing curls in front of the mirror with his trousers round his ankles - purposely round his ankles - he was a funny guy, this was done for effect - at least partially.

One of the greatest gym guys outside of the gym (slightly off topic but a fave story) drove an old vauxhall (1990's) - he was super skinny but always decked out in the newest Gold's/World gym gear.

The car was similarly decked out with stickers (Golds gym amongst others) and it was a banger even then - across the side of the car (both sides) in huge letters, front to back was the words "Warrant to Pose" ..... except the word "Warrant" was spelt "Warrent". Even Alanis Morrisette would understand this irony.
» Research/depth (Go to post)13-02-2011 @ 20:18 
JamesH said:
Go on, dish the dirt for those of us too lazy to google.

Allegedly the tennis ball was used by many in the 70's
Also allegedly Tom Overholtzer wrapped himself in a bedsheet before a squat (I think he was disqualified)
Anthony Clark RIP (massive sub total 1000+ sq and 700+ bench) allegedly wrapped himself in duct tape before putting on a shirt

Cheating is not a new phenomenon
» Research/depth (Go to post)13-02-2011 @ 15:44 
Post Edited: 13.02.2011 @ 15:44 PM by 1369phil
.... but in the same great tradition of half a tennis ball behind the knees when wrapped, bed sheets strapped around the body and a full chest duct tape (I can name 2 of these historic alleged offenders !)
» Favourite words *Warning: crap thread* (Go to post)13-02-2011 @ 15:36 
Post Edited: 13.02.2011 @ 15:41 PM by 1369phil
Midwifery
Husbandry
Reciprocal
Pedant (Pedantic)
Antithesis
Antiquity (Antiquated)
Articulate
Enunciate

Amongst many others !
» Strength Shop - new products and updates (Go to post)09-02-2011 @ 21:16 
Got my order - super quick as promised - the slippers are super grippy, the wraps are tough and the hoody looks great - thanks buzz - more orders to come i think !
» Test booster (Go to post)09-02-2011 @ 12:18 
Wow - difference of opinion here.

Here's mine (I do the same job as Tony - and I think I've done more law exams than him !)

Steroids (which covers more than test-based stuff) are a class C drug (as stated above) - however (as with other class C's such as the benzodiazepene's (sp?)) are legal to have in your possession if they are in "medicinal form"

I havent found any case law on this (although there is bound to be some) but this seems to imply that anything in a bottle with a label on it is a "medicine" and that would be ok to possess - home brewed fina and the like would fall outside of this category.

However (and it's a big however) it would not be a big stretch to imagine a decent prosecutor arguing that "medicinal form" means drugs prescribed by a doctor - and that without a script you'd be prosecuted.

In my experience (20 years) prosecutions for possession of steroids usually happen as part of a larger case usually involving class A drugs (a gym owner selling coke, ecstacy and steroids for example)

Prosecutions are rare for possession of steroids but it doesnt mean they wont happen.

Police officers are more likely to be interested in other drugs, just as they would be more interested in whether the car you drive is stolen rather than if the tyres are bald.
» Barefoot (Go to post)09-02-2011 @ 09:40 
I ordered it a couple of days ago ! Thanks for all the info
» 1369phil's quest for slightly above mediocre (Go to post)08-02-2011 @ 16:56 
Wow - truly awful squatting which I attribute to the cycling (5 miles a day)I'm doing now and the lower amount of food.

I tried barefoot training today (well, socks) and I liked it - despite the awful numbers - squats "felt" the same really - legs felt weak - I'll adjust soon enough I'm sure

Seated Calf

3 sets of 15

Leg Extention

30 reps

Squats

Bar x 10
60 x 10
100 x 3
120 x 3
140 x 3
160 x 2

Leg Press

Warm ups to 300 x 5 (loads more leg strength but foot starting to cramp)

Leg Curl

2 sets of 20

Lunges

40 x many (20+ steps)

Decline Sit Up

2 sets of 10

45 second Plank

» Barefoot (Go to post)08-02-2011 @ 13:39 
Look into the Tarahumara (which I think is a version of "superhuman") - a Mexican tribe who run 100+ miles for fun.

Barefoot (or hurache sandals) seem to be the "secret"

My understanding is that barefoot (or minimalist) running is very tough to start off with and requires a breaking in period - check youtube (especially the fit hippy girl called Skye - howtorunbarefoot ... I think)

I think I'll get used to the 5 miles cycling a day I've been doing before I start running.
» Barefoot (Go to post)08-02-2011 @ 12:38 
Wow - a lot more positive than I guessed - I'll give it a go I think - Deadlift slippers on order from Buzz - dont know if the budget will stretch to Vibram of Vivos.

Thanks for all the information.
» Strength Shop - new products and updates (Go to post)07-02-2011 @ 23:47 
Small order placed - I need to build a big outhouse in the summer before the orders get bigger !
» Barefoot (Go to post)07-02-2011 @ 17:14 
2 questions in one here - does anyone train (squat and deadlift) barefoot, or nearly (thin sole flat shoes) ?

2nd question, what are the rules for lifting in deadlift slippers or thin soled shoes - in the squat ? (specifically IPF, BDFPA)

I've been nosing at some interesting stuff on barefoot running and the "feedback" from the feet - and the seemingly low number of injuries.

http://blog.ted.com/2011/02/03/are-we-born-to-run-christopher-...

Deadlift slippers are very popular and the flat converse shoes were all the rage when Westside was the next "big" thing - albeit for wide stance squats.

The vibram five fingers shoes seem to be used a bit in the USA - barefoot squatting and calf work was big when Arnie did all those Pumping Iron photos.

Your thoughts ?
» Time for a new log. Not sure what to call it yet though. (Go to post)07-02-2011 @ 17:07 
Well done mate - now sort out your eating habits !
» Work and training.. (Go to post)07-02-2011 @ 17:00 
Col_Austin said:You don't need to stop training at all.

Surely you have time for two sessions a week? One squat, one deadlift, work up to a five rep max and follow it with either overhead press or bench. Get it done in sixty minutes, or terminate the workout.

What's wrong with you? Are you a man or a mouse???

This is good advice - long days and shift work have been with me for 20 years - less excuses more work.
» The Log of the Lurking One! (Go to post)07-02-2011 @ 16:56 
Great stuff Mal - I'll race you to a 250 deadlift (last session was 222.5) ??

12345678910 ... ... 133134135136137138139140141142143

You are here: HomeForum1369phil → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions