REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 60 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

tyre flip and bicep tears

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

123456

JoniIcontyre flip and bicep tears01-08-2010 @ 17:14 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19243 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Another comp weekend, and again tyre flip events claim a set of biceps.

UKSC englands strongest man finals - heavy ass tyre claimed two biceps.

Mark Clegg tore his at the UKs 105 comp.

Any ideas on how to eliminate these? In some countries i dont think they have all that many bicep tears with tyres, or am i misinformed?

I think the main things to prevent tyres to cause bicep tears from comp organisers point of view are:

- the tyre is not crazy heavy

- the tyre has a good grip

or is there anything that can be done?
BigSamIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:18 
Avatar
HORRIBLE MEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member 621, 4744 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 335
895.0 kgs @ 106kgs Eq
Who was the second one to tear the bicep mate?
BigTIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:18 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Not sure if it is just the tyres fault! I prob rushed my flip and used too much arm. However, it does seem to be the key event for knacking folk. I liked the way Denny swapped it out for the Plank Flip event.
JoniIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:18 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19243 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
BigSam said:Who was the second one to tear the bicep mate?


two guys at the UKSC opens englands finals mate, the one mick did. Dont know who they were...
martinbIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:19 
Avatar
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Joni said:Another comp weekend, and again tyre flip events claim a set of biceps.

UKSC englands strongest man finals - heavy ass tyre claimed two biceps.

Mark Clegg tore his at the UKs 105 comp.

Any ideas on how to eliminate these? In some countries i dont think they have all that many bicep tears with tyres, or am i misinformed?

I think the main things to prevent tyres to cause bicep tears from comp organisers point of view are:

- the tyre is not crazy heavy

- the tyre has a good grip

or is there anything that can be done?


Those 2 suggestions are on the money imo. Some peoples tech just places so much stress on the biceps, I think I do it sometimes too.
TobyCutlerIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:22 
Avatar
Allegedly very strong, but only Carls word for it
Member 682, 838 posts
I think it has alot to do with warming up, or lack of it. Tyre flipping puts alot of weight on the biceps and they will pull/tear if muscles are cold
robocopIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:24 
Avatar
Commentators say: he benches like a bodybuilder
Member 231, 1873 posts
SQ 400, BP 275, DL 365
1040.0 kgs @ 135.7kgs Eq
This might been the gayest thing I have ever said but I am going to say it anyway
strongman might just be getting too heavy
look at the rapid increase in weights over the last 6 years
look how crazy arnolds is getting just seems to me that the sport is that tough now that every athlete is one bad event away from injury
could it also be something to do with what the athletes are taking
are people taking advanced supplements that are making tendons vunerable
HypershrekIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:24 
Member 458, 24 posts
SQ 180, BP 200, DL 220
600.0 kgs @ 143kgs UnEq
it was rich hudson and simon flint
martinbIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:27 
Avatar
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
robocop said:This might been the gayest thing I have ever said but I am going to say it anyway
strongman might just be getting too heavy
look at the rapid increase in weights over the last 6 years
look how crazy arnolds is getting just seems to me that the sport is that tough now that every athlete is one bad event away from injury
could it also be something to do with what the athletes are taking
are people taking advanced supplements that are making tendons vunerable


absolutely agree, some domestic inter comps are heavier than WSM was in the late 90s. I for one would like to see a return to what they used to call it, strength athletics
drewIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:28 
Avatar
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8405 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Looking at YouTube the tires in USA seem to have fantastic tread and look unused as far as been used as a traditional tire goes.

I have yet to see this in this country

You raise a good point Joni. I do also agree with the lack of warming up too
BigSamIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:29 
Avatar
HORRIBLE MEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Member 621, 4744 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 335
895.0 kgs @ 106kgs Eq
Its so unfortunate I think for a muscle tear!

Don't know much about them tbh! How many people tore muscles from the bone and managed to progress after recovered ?
JoniIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:31 
Avatar
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19243 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
drew said:Looking at YouTube the tires in USA seem to have fantastic tread and look unused as far as been used as a traditional tire goes.

I have yet to see this in this country


absolutely, the finnish comps usually have new tyres too, just look at the pics from jacks comp yesterday and the tyres there.
BigTIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:31 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
Big Loz, Mark Lawson, Magnus Samuelson, etc, etc, have continued to do well and improve after surgery.
MrSmallIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:33 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22342 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Can be also down to poor technique.
Would you pull a deadlift with bent arms?
stainlessIcon...01-08-2010 @ 17:34 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Not to imply that it is for a second the only reason but i think that anyone who has less than 100% R.O.M at the elbow joint is an accident waiting to happen.I see an awful lot of guys whose arms at rest are 10 degrees plus off of full extension,further to this when they train arms they don't fully extend,this means that you have a big strong bicep used to handling loads for 95% of it's range.The tyre flip in particular at the beginning of the pull puts the bicep load straight onto it's weakest range.
If arms can be held straight at the start then the drive to start the lift comes from the legs then the hips.But with tight biceps the first thing that happens is the biceps are screaming as they get forced into full extension before the legs and hips can even initiate movement.
There was a thread a while back about whether or not to do direct bicep work.I think that if you have full 100% ROM then you don't need to but if you don't then you must work to make your biceps full and long to avoid injuries.

123456

© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto