You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitresistance bands

resistance bands

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JackRevansIconresistance bands15-06-2011 @ 13:53 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Does anyone know the difference between using resistance bands normally and using them reversed? I mean like suspending the bands from the top of the rack. Is the resistance any different?
bigbadbishIcon...15-06-2011 @ 14:31 
A World class farmer
Member 576, 3429 posts
SQ 350, BP 200, DL 400
950.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:Does anyone know the difference between using resistance bands normally and using them reversed? I mean like suspending the bands from the top of the rack. Is the resistance any different?

I find using bands "normally" increases the speed of the eccentric phase of the lift. ie the bar is accelerated towards the floor.

Gravity + plate mass + Band tension. (Could also be written weight+band tension)

Reverse bands take weight off the bottom point of the lift and tend to slow the eccentric phase.

Gravity + plate mass - Band tension. (Could also be written weight-band tension)

Don't know if that answers the original question but its something Happy
JackRevansIcon...15-06-2011 @ 15:20 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
So would using them normally be better?
bigbadbishIcon...15-06-2011 @ 18:14 
A World class farmer
Member 576, 3429 posts
SQ 350, BP 200, DL 400
950.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:So would using them normally be better?

Depends what you're using them for?

Are you using them for a dnamic effort/speed day or using them to over load the top of the lift?

For a speed application: use them "normally"

For an overload the top of the lift application: use "normally" or reverse them.
JackRevansIcon...15-06-2011 @ 18:29 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
well i dont know realy i just got them so i could teach myself to accelerate as i deadlift because i suffer from being crap at the lockout and draging it across my legs
SamMcLIcon...15-06-2011 @ 23:07 
Member 2342, 280 posts
SQ 210, BP 150, DL 255
615.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Same principle - weight is heavier at the top.

Pressing against band tension is a very, very different feel though.
danbaseleyIcon...16-06-2011 @ 09:26 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I would recommend that you deadlift "against" bands/chains rather than reverse band lift if you want to break through a sticking point. You can set the tension/chains to come in around the sticking point much easier.
JackRevansIcon...16-06-2011 @ 09:55 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:I would recommend that you deadlift "against" bands/chains rather than reverse band lift if you want to break through a sticking point. You can set the tension/chains to come in around the sticking point much easier.

Ah ok thanks
ShaunIcon...16-06-2011 @ 11:32 
Member 1668, 1499 posts
SQ 186, BP 102, DL 211
499.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:I would recommend that you deadlift "against" bands/chains rather than reverse band lift if you want to break through a sticking point. You can set the tension/chains to come in around the sticking point much easier.

I would have to agree with this given the amount of people I've seen using reverse bands and not having their lift increase.

I can't actually see a reason for using them in the reverse configuration. The strength curve of both the normal and the reverse configurations are the same. The difference is that the normal configuration means that you have to take plates off of the bar whereas with the reverse configuration you get to add plates to the bar, because the tension is helping you lift it. Utterly pointless because the body knows not how many plates are on the bar, but only how much force it must overcome. Whether this force is due to gravity acting on metal plates or resistance bands being stretched is ultimately irrelevant (although obviously ignoring that the tension in the bands increase [linearly?] proportionately to the change in length [i.e. how much they are being stretched], whereas metal plates have constant weight.

It looks like I have answered my own question - reverse bands allow more plates to be added to the bar... a bit like squat suits and bench shirts.
SamMcLIcon...20-06-2011 @ 01:25 
Member 2342, 280 posts
SQ 210, BP 150, DL 255
615.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Shaun said:
I would have to agree with this given the amount of people I've seen using reverse bands and not having their lift increase.
I can't actually see a reason for using them in the reverse configuration. The strength curve of both the normal and the reverse configurations are the same. The difference is that the normal configuration means that you have to take plates off of the bar whereas with the reverse configuration you get to add plates to the bar, because the tension is helping you lift it. Utterly pointless because the body knows not how many plates are on the bar, but only how much force it must overcome. Whether this force is due to gravity acting on metal plates or resistance bands being stretched is ultimately irrelevant (although obviously ignoring that the tension in the bands increase [linearly?] proportionately to the change in length [i.e. how much they are being stretched], whereas metal plates have constant weight.
It looks like I have answered my own question - reverse bands allow more plates to be added to the bar... a bit like squat suits and bench shirts.

That's not it at all - lifting against bands is an entirely different feeling. Have you done them both? They are similar only in that the weight gets heavier at the top of the lift, the feel is different all together, same goes for chains.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitresistance bands
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions