Who's Online - 0 members and 205 guests

Torn knee cartilage (meniscus)

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

RodgerIcon...04-05-2011 @ 22:40 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
paddymc1986 said:had an op on thursday feels a bit better each day i still cant bend my leg fully though, might try some 1 leg deadlift tommorow Grin

Ah mate good to see you posting Happy
Glad op went well - you take it easy, you been doing any other training whilst you been waiting for op?
martinIcon...05-05-2011 @ 09:24 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Doc_D said:Martin - On what is the diagnosis based? There are so many things that can go wrong with knees (and so many 'false positives' for meniscus tears) that the symptoms alone reveal very little. Even pretty significant tears can be painless - really just irritating through clicking/popping/occasional locking. Manipulation and MRI can only give indications at best, even for experienced practitioners.

If it *is* a tear, chances of self-healing really aren't great - and age isn't on your side for this kind of resolution (or attempts at repair which don't involve some degree of excision).

Doc, this is simply based on running the usual movement tests and palpation. Both from a decent GP and my physio (the olympic wrestling team physio). Both did say it's not possible to know for sure without surgery too.

Would a tear cause direct pain alone?

I'm hoping the discomfort will reduce over the next 7-14 days or so.

Ta
Doc_DIcon...05-05-2011 @ 21:59 
please use accurate taxonomy in our communication
Member 871, 469 posts
SQ 240, BP 137.5, DL 262.5
640.0 kgs @ 89kgs Eq
martin said:
Would a tear cause direct pain alone?

COuld do, esp. if bits or swelling are interfering with other parts of the joint. But a tear could also cause next to no discomfort. The popping/clicking/catching symptom is supposed to be a pretty good indicator, but there are also other conditions which can mimic this to a decent extent.

Please NB that I am not a medical doctor, but have a modicum of knowledge and experience of knackered knees!

For the moment, best that you can really do is try to control any swelling and/or irritation. Ice massage, DMSO + other topical anti-inflams. I've personally found rest / immobilisation to do more harm than good for most of my own problems over the years, but this goes against usual advice!
minotaurJoeIcon...07-05-2011 @ 12:24 
I've got a brand new combine harvester
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Yeah I agree with what doc says, I really wouldn't be on crutches or stop bearing weight. Obv don't put as much pressure on it as you used to but id still keep up with deadlifts cos the worst thing as that other guy and myself can testify is that the muscle tissue starts to waste away RAPIDLY and then you always lean on ur Squats to one side which is v unhealthy!! Takes months to sort out and it's a nightmare. Also I wouldn't rely at all on it self healing. Theoretically it is possible but remember that cartilage has a piss poor blood supply so you would have to virtually keep your leg straight for 8 months for it to start repairing properly. Best to get the op done and bk to training asap

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions