Are injuries inevitable?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

BazIconAre injuries inevitable?03-05-2007 @ 00:37 
Weak training is still training.
Member 63, 260 posts
SQ 135, BP 110, DL 195
440.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
Hey guys,
just been reading a few logs and there's a lot of talk about injuries and being broken. Rick seems to have had a few probs and i remember him telling me about possible broken bones in his foot. Speaking to 'The machine' today even he has problems and he's not even fully human. The list goes on. I've never injured myself weight training (touch wood) except today when i hit myself in the mouth with 75k and that doesn't count. So, am i eventually going to get an injury? is there anything lifters can do to realistically stop themselves from getting injured? or is it just one of those s**t happens kinda things? What do people think?
tokarIcon...03-05-2007 @ 07:21 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I wouldn't say injuries are inevitable, and certainly there are things you can do to make them less likely - don't let strength imbalances develop, always use good technique, stretch!

But you have to assume that top class athletes are doing all these things and more, but top class athletes are actually more likely to get injured than your average clueless gymgoer. And this is because there's a fine line between optimal training and overtraining. One year you push yourself to the limit of your capacity, taper towards a competition, supercompensation kicks in and you're a world champion. The next year you do more or less the same, maybe push it that tiny bit more and you pull a hamstring.

Of course I'm not suggesting that any of us is a top class athlete, but if you're always trying to make as much progress as you possibly can, there's always the possibility of injury.
jimblanchflowerIcon...03-05-2007 @ 08:51 
Teabagger for hire
Member 54, 237 posts
I don't know any elite athletes that have never been injured. Some get them more frequently than others. This is partly to do with good genetics and partly good practice. Bad form, excessive volume, insufficient rest and just plain bad luck can all add to injuries. Bad spotting is also a huge problem. I have had side-spotters on the bench and squat in the gym, attempt to help by pushing up one end of the bar. I have ended up on the bench with nearly 300kg - one leg pushing down for all I'm worth, whilst the other flails around in the air. Fortunately, in this case, I was saved by the other two good spotters.

when you get to my age (and weight) you tend to have some degree of injury all the time. Often you can still function, and you learn to manage injuries better.
little_aIcon...04-05-2007 @ 09:01 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Depends what we are calling injuries. For me inflamation, spasms, cramps etc are NOT injuries but natural bodily reactions to hard/ over training.
I'm consistantly amazed by how early in a workout people are ready to start piling the weight on. As above, wear and tear (which is inevitable) aside I dont consider that I've ever had a serious injury. I also dont consider the 10+ sets of empty bar sets, before I touch a weight excessive. Some do, but for me it's not up for arguement.

It's all technique anywayGrin
RobIcon...04-05-2007 @ 10:35 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
I think the answer to the question is yes, the human body wasn't designed to lift extremely heavy weights (never mind at frequency and volume), so something will always give at some point.

It is simply a matter of minimizing risk through all the many factors which come into play - prehabilitation, warming up, flexibility, enough rest and so on.

Injuries for me are definitely the worst aspect of lifting, but you just have to live with the fact that you will get some.

On quite a lot of statistics weight-lifting activities are espoused as having one of the lowest injury rates in sports; I sometimes wonder how true this is - as unlike in other sports (e.g. a hamstring pull) an injury will not necessary stop one from continuing to lift but simply on other body parts (e.g. benching with a hamstring pull).
BazIcon...04-05-2007 @ 12:33 
Member 63, 260 posts
SQ 135, BP 110, DL 195
440.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
Interesting points guys. So i guess its all about minimising the risk of getting injuries whilst accepting that there is a chance. I have to confess i don't warm up for any more than 1 or 2 sets never mind 10! Eek and i never stretch after a workout, in fact i don't even know how to properly.
BazIcon...04-05-2007 @ 12:37 
Member 63, 260 posts
SQ 135, BP 110, DL 195
440.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
oh yea and what kind of prehabilitation techniques are people using? i think i should start doing some. Cheers.
JoniIcon...04-05-2007 @ 12:51 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
my current strategy is FAR from perfect, but includes:

warm up combo, its always the same work with a barbell, shoulder presses front and behind the neck, good mornings, curls, reverse curls, then some general mobility, hip mobility etc, getting shoulders and joint swarmed up.

Then normal warm up sets after that.

Stretching regime is s**t at the moment, and too infrequent.

I swim and do hardcore jacuzzi sessions for restoration and recover - been exellent for me.

I used to do yoga, which was brilliant, and i should go back.

Diet wise, i try to maximise my anti-oxidant intake by having regular intake of fresh veggies, sometimes juicing veggies and so on. Also keep things like EFA intake high and sometimes take MSN for joint health (should start that again actually).

And this year (knock a big f**king wood) has been the longest injury free stretch of training ever Grin
littlegirlbunnyIcon...04-05-2007 @ 14:09 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
I find 10 mins moderately intense CV helps alot in warming up properly. I also do quite alot of warm-up sets with a gradual increase in weight and reduction in reps before starting the working sets. It may take some energy away from the working sets, but on the whole I think I perform better this way.

Also try to fit in TKEs, core work, rotar cuff work and massage, but never often enough!
AlexIcon...04-05-2007 @ 19:20 
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.05.2007 @ 19:21 PM
Originally posted by Rob...
I think the answer to the question is yes, the human body wasn't designed to lift extremely heavy weights (never mind at frequency and volume), so something will always give at some point.

I don't think you give the human body enough credit mate, it has seen far worse times than the odd powerlifting session.

No I don't think injury is inevitable with thorough warm-ups, sensible workouts+form and good core strength. Most people (including myself) don't even do 2/3 of these.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions