You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitDungeon 'trees'

Dungeon 'trees'

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JoniIcon...07-04-2007 @ 10:06 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
nah, its a s**t post - just joking! Good well thought post, even if i dont agree with it.

Of course that is a valid point and approach to take. But one thing to remember is that we are not big al - we are not the guys who move the competition weights and call it speed work. We have just started the game, and with our background in other strength training we have a lot of gains to realise before we are done.

Two routes to get to where we need be: one is to keep things lighter and work on speed and slowly increase the weights.

Another is to keep things heavy, get to the standard that you need and once there, improve speed.

(of course any approach is a mix of both above, but has an emphasis on one if you like)

Latter is the dungeon approach at the moment - not saying it wont change, but as a beginners there are so much progress to be made and reaching those comp weights asap.

Which one is the better approach? Who the f**k knows, all i know i am making great progress at the moment and enjoying my training 100%. I also know that jonos approach makes a lot of sense and once I am moving bigger weights that is the approach I will take. But at this stage of play I will milk all the beginner gains as quickly as I can (maybe reaching that point soon, who knows).

jono i really wouldnt take that first timers comp as a measuring stick - it was a first timers, and the weights so light and while it was a fantastic intro to the game it really is no measuring stick of any kind of training philosophy. You would have placed above me without any training! Fraserburgh is more of a measuring stick, while I think you are well ahead of me in many strongman events, I think the gap will be no where near as big at Fraserburgh than at the first timers and I think I am catching up fast. Doesnt that speak for our approach? Again, maybe not, maybe I am just getting used to the game?

And having said all that - even fraserburgh should not be taken as a "goal"! We have a long way to go to the Opens where the real tests are.

One more point which also may show different approaches and training philopshies: I rather place last in a really heavy comp than high on a light novice. This will have a huge impact in the way I train, when I can move all the weights a bit, i will enter Open comps and will not enter any novices any more. If I place last but gave it a good go, I will be much more proud of myself than being fast and scoring high at a novice comp. Maybe I am being bit too eager or not patient enough, but this explains one reason why I want to move big weights at event training so I can enter Opens next year for sure.

Good to debate this though.
JoniIcon...07-04-2007 @ 13:33 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
here are my entries for the tree:

60mm Axle Max: 90
60mm Axle 105kg for reps: Nil

IFSA Log Max: 97.5kg
IFSA Log 105kg for reps: Nil

130kg farmers for distance: 20m
Heaviest farmers for 20m: 130kg (time on video, Olly has it)
Heaviest for 40m: 100kg (time unknown)

Farmers holds 130kg: 29s
Farmers holds 150kg: 19.7s (not own pickup)

Stones, 54inch platform, best: 140kg
Stones, 54inch platform, best for 3: 105
Stones, 54inch platform, best for 5: Nil

Yoke, max for 20: 230 (time?)

60mm axle deadlift: 180kg

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitDungeon 'trees'
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions