Maddox, 800lb benchpress.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

IrishMarcIcon...24-06-2020 @ 09:26 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.06.2020 @ 09:26 AM by IrishMarc
It happens but for the biggest bench press of all time would you not double check?
little_aIcon...24-06-2020 @ 17:05 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
jt said:I have done lots of loading/spotting and reffing and know mistakes are possible BUT you have 3 refs 3 (at least)loaders and usually any mistake will be picked up before the lifter makes it onto the platform

You can bet your ass I would of checked and triple checked This weight!!!!!

Don't they have a 2nd panel of refs or jury as well?

I think the trouble with spotting PL comps is that it's f**king hateful and there's always a struggle to get good people to do it. They are literally dragging them off the street. I was asked to load at the Paralifting bench event run in Manchester earlier this year to which I said that I would load and reminded them of my WL background. Come the day the expectation is that I'll load, hand off and spot, world class lifters at a world class event on live stream. My stating that I haven't spotted a bench for 10 years falls on deaf ears. The competition went ahead and went well apparently, but without my assistance sadly. Whilst walked away I was scared for the loaders/ spotters who stayed (as they were on the whole a lot less experienced than me) and for the lifters who frankly deserved better. I couldn't help thinking that if they are asking me how desperate are they?
FatpeteIcon...24-06-2020 @ 18:39 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17817 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
jt said:
I have done lots of loading/spotting and reffing and know mistakes are possible BUT you have 3 refs 3 (at least)loaders and usually any mistake will be picked up before the lifter makes it onto the platform

There are three refs and probably four loaders, but two of those refs are at the side and are in no real position to see how many weights are on there. A side ref would be able to see the fifteen and the smaller weights but not how many reds.

The spotters would normally just deal with their end and leave the other end to the others.

When centre reffing I would always check the toast rack to see how many weights are left in it. I always tell spotters/loaders to keep unused weights in the rack and I angle the racks so the number of weights can be seen.

Whilst this in no way excuses what happens, I think it does to some small degree explain it. Little A raises some very excellent points in his post. Loading is a thankless task and spotting carries a responsibility that few can bear, and even fewer wish to try. The heavier the weights get the more unlikely people are to want to do it.

Another point that puts people off is that if they agree they are very often stuck there all day.

When I used go to Colne to assist club members with their equipment I very often couldn't as I would end up on the platform. Organizers were going around the venue literally begging people, often with very little success. So we basically had to muddle through.

Fortunately the North West has had a surge in membership and the brainy folk who run it have come up with a cunning plan which has made things much easier on the platform front.
unit94Icon...25-06-2020 @ 17:04 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10432 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
I remember being at the world team comp and loading the 2 man deadlift record, I think it was 850 ish kg and it soon became obvious that it was me that would have to do the maths and no one else was going to be able to get there head around it enough to check. It was tricky loading 15 plus 25kg plates a side but there we no mistakes there. How the f**k they didn't triple check the weight was right for a world bench record is beyond me
AdamTIcon...25-06-2020 @ 18:59 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
unit94 said:I remember being at the world team comp and loading the 2 man deadlift record, I think it was 850 ish kg and it soon became obvious that it was me that would have to do the maths and no one else was going to be able to get there head around it enough to check. It was tricky loading 15 plus 25kg plates a side but there we no mistakes there. How the f**k they didn't triple check the weight was right for a world bench record is beyond me

This 100%

One thing is misloading 3 or 4 hundred pounds

But f**king 800 on a bench!!!

Check it 10 times if needs be

I have misloaded a bar once in training and never since

Even if I can clearly see 3 plates a side, I still would check the weight again

Human error is real, but someone going for a land mark lift like that, should be safe in the knowledge that the bar is loaded correctly

Imagine the fuss if Eddie's 500kg deadlift was loaded incorrectly?

But with such a professional set up, you know the guys would have checked, checked and checked again

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions