Who's Online - 2 members and 261 guests

Dupuytren's contracture and strongman

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

BenvieIconDupuytren's contracture and strongman27-10-2015 @ 15:16 
embarrasingly poor bench
Member 2684, 4043 posts
SQ 240, BP 135, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Does anyone on here have experience of dupuytren's contracture and how the progression of it was/is affected by Strongman or powerlifting?

Dupuytren's contracture is a hereditary disease that leads the the thickening of the tissue around the tendons that control your fingers in the palm of your hand. The end result of it is a finger or fingers that end up permanently bent down to your palm.

I have been told by the doctor that I have this condition but that it is at an early stage and no real cause for concern at this stage. She also advised that it will progress at the same rate regardless of what I do, however reading up on the condition a bit there is some inconclusive/anecdotal evidence suggesting that heavy weight lifting (I am assuming that their idea of heavy differs greatly from mine) can speed up the contracture.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this as although I enjoy my Strongman I don't think I could continue to compete if I knew I would be speeding up a process that could potentially be severely debilitating a few years down the line.
FazcIcon...30-10-2015 @ 09:40 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Sorry to hear about this Benvie. Absolutely zero experience of this condition, hope you can figure it out mate
brownbearIcon...30-10-2015 @ 18:41 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
My opinion is if I had it I'd have the op done and if it didn't qualify yet under the nhs I'd pay privately. It's done under local anaesthetic and day case, so would not cost much to do as most of the costs are overnight stay, anaesthesia, extra staff costs etc
BenvieIcon...01-11-2015 @ 14:09 
embarrasingly poor bench
Member 2684, 4043 posts
SQ 240, BP 135, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
brownbear said:My opinion is if I had it I'd have the op done and if it didn't qualify yet under the nhs I'd pay privately. It's done under local anaesthetic and day case, so would not cost much to do as most of the costs are overnight stay, anaesthesia, extra staff costs etc

I'm led to believe that surgery isn't the preferred option anymore and it is more likely I will get an injection of some sort of collagen type substance to break down the tissue as there is a high recurrence rate with surgery. However I do get bupa through my work so if surgery is required I could get it through them.

It is also in the very early stages and shouldn't really cause me bother for a few years yet and it's only when my grip strength for everyday tasks starts to go that I will need treatment. I was more just thinking of the future.

Although it's a bit of a pain there are far worse hereditary conditions I could have so not too worried by it.
tdbas1Icon...04-11-2015 @ 01:20 
Member 5914, 1 posts
I've had dupuytren's contracture now for close to a decade (Im 31 years old).

My condition is quite aggressive and have had two procedures (NA - Needle Aponeurotomy) in the last 3 years.

I have nodules in the palm and both my pinkie fingers are contracting. This can make certain barbell and strongman movements challenging. More so that pain factor against the nodules.

Since my last NA procedure I've been wearing a splint when I sleep and this seems to assist in reducing its progression.

I have competed in amateur strongman contests and still train regularly with the condition.

But like you said there are much worse hereditary conditions out there.

I'm happy monitoring and maintaining it as best I can while training and competing in strongman and other strength sports.

Cheers

Tom
BenvieIcon...04-11-2015 @ 08:19 
embarrasingly poor bench
Member 2684, 4043 posts
SQ 240, BP 135, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
tdbas1 said:I've had dupuytren's contracture now for close to a decade (Im 31 years old).

My condition is quite aggressive and have had two procedures (NA - Needle Aponeurotomy) in the last 3 years.

I have nodules in the palm and both my pinkie fingers are contracting. This can make certain barbell and strongman movements challenging. More so that pain factor against the nodules.

Since my last NA procedure I've been wearing a splint when I sleep and this seems to assist in reducing its progression.

I have competed in amateur strongman contests and still train regularly with the condition.

But like you said there are much worse hereditary conditions out there.

I'm happy monitoring and maintaining it as best I can while training and competing in strongman and other strength sports.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know that it shouldn't prevent me from competing hopefully.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions