REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 169 guests

Injury help-Rotatory cuff

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Sam_LIconInjury help-Rotatory cuff05-09-2013 @ 19:50 
Member 4527, 15 posts
SQ 240, BP 130, DL 265
635.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Mundane first post but I was wondering if anyone had pointers to help me out.

When I externally rotate my left shoulder, I don't have the same mobility as a I do on my right side and also feel pain both in the shoulder and armpit area. I have just finished the base cycle of Smolov and feel that it must have been the squatting that caused it; as it's now a struggle get properly tight under the bar. After squatting the pain is worse and obviously bench and anything overhead are out of question.

is it just a matter or taking a week off and stretching or is there anything that would give me some faster relief so I could keep going?
Funky_monkeyIcon...05-09-2013 @ 19:56 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I'd say time off and light r/c work - 5kg for 3 sets of 15 per side.
brownbearIcon...05-09-2013 @ 21:28 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
do you squat low bar?
adamkeepIcon...06-09-2013 @ 09:56 
a dork
Member 1023, 846 posts
Sam_L said:Mundane first post but I was wondering if anyone had pointers to help me out.

When I externally rotate my left shoulder, I don't have the same mobility as a I do on my right side and also feel pain both in the shoulder and armpit area. I have just finished the base cycle of Smolov and feel that it must have been the squatting that caused it; as it's now a struggle get properly tight under the bar. After squatting the pain is worse and obviously bench and anything overhead are out of question.

is it just a matter or taking a week off and stretching or is there anything that would give me some faster relief so I could keep going?

I've torn both of mine so I might have some experience for you. As for external rotations with a light weight, don't have your arm in a 90 degree angle from the body like we all traditionally did to warm up rotators. This puts it in a pinched position and will not get the job done. Instead have your arm in a more neutral position, like only slightly raised and out to the front a bit. This will feel more natural and is much easier on the cuff. Check out some of Joe Defranco's youtube vids. He has all sorts of shoulder rehab stuff from working with loads of NFL guys. I use a lot of his warm ups in my routine. Also, if you feel like you need to press, a kettlebell press is much nicer on the rotator than a bar or dumbbell. You need to keep the weight over the shoulder though rather than your hand, so your hand will be slightly out in front of you as you press and will put less pressure on the rotator. These are all things that helped me out in the past and what I go to now when I feel any issues. Hope it helps.
VinnyJonesIcon...07-09-2013 @ 09:22 
Who said it's hardcore?
Member 3896, 847 posts
SQ 265, BP 150, DL 320
735.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
http://www.strengthspeedagility.com/the-best-shoulder-rehab-ex...
hixxy1985Icon...07-09-2013 @ 09:28 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9594 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
i can barely get my right arm to touch my lower back, rotator cuff and partial bicep tear on same side. Tried a million different things but the flexibility never comes back. I have learned to live with it.
dave_rogersonIcon...07-09-2013 @ 12:24 
Member 4046, 590 posts
Currently going through this now and treating myself. Firstly, I am not a therapist or Dr so my first recommendation would be to go and see one and get an actual diagnosis from someone who is trained to diagnose and treat injury.

Things that are helping me include managing the inflammation, working on the soft tissue of the posterior capsule (using a hardball - this hurts like hell), rolling the lats, chest, etc. Do this several times per day. Exercise wise:

1. Sleeper Stretch,
2. Reverse sleeper stretch,
3. Wall angels (with bands; like band pull aparts standing against the wall)
4. Thoracic rotations (working on twisting from the thoracic spine; side lying exercises are useful for this),
5.Forearm wall slides (youtube search this)

The thing with stretches is that you have to hold them for a good while: 15 - 30 seconds is probably not enough. Hold the things for a couple of minutes (same with the foam roller stuff) and do them frequently.

If you are having consistent shoulder issues then you likely need to work on the motor control and strength of your scapula muscles and/or may have to accept that this is something that may be structural and will reoccur.
Sam_LIcon...08-09-2013 @ 02:10 
Member 4527, 15 posts
SQ 240, BP 130, DL 265
635.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Thanks a lot for all the replies so far! Lots of helpful stuff here.Going to get to the doctors and take a week off training whilst rolling/stretches etc. The pain is worse right after racking a squat. Pretty acute in the top of armpit where it meets the bicep. Annoying more than anything else!
VinnyJonesIcon...08-09-2013 @ 09:03 
Who said it's hardcore?
Member 3896, 847 posts
SQ 265, BP 150, DL 320
735.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:i can barely get my right arm to touch my lower back, rotator cuff and partial bicep tear on same side. Tried a million different things but the flexibility never comes back. I have learned to live with it.

Do you still get a sharp pain when pressing or any pain at all for that matter?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions