REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 115 guests

Tender bump below kneecap

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Joe_MFIconTender bump below kneecap05-06-2013 @ 13:43 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
For a while this bump has been giving me grief, its tender to touch, sometimes hurts when going up stairs / sudden pressure, and feels a little uncomfortable when squatting. The two things that I can think of that may have antagonised this are: jumping down off a high fence, and squatting. After a quick search, Osgood Schlatters seems to pop out a number of times.
(Quick note: not bashing squats, I love doing them and will continue to do them, but the pain is triggered when squatting. )
Usually the pain dies down after a few days off from squats, but flares up when doing them.
Squat form is good, my knees/toes are slightly outward facing.

I used to have pain on the knee, at the bottom 'under the kneecap' but apparently this was due to imbalances and was corrected with physio & when i started to squat. At one point I was diagnosed with osgood, but it was changed to Chondromalacia patellae - this is what got me physio on nhs. The bump is not huge but when looking in a mirror it is visible. No bump/pain on the other knee.

Anyone have a similar situation, any treatments or suggestions other than 'go to your doctors and have them check it out' - I am going to do this anyway but would like anecdotes from members in similar environments to me.

Thanks
George_WinstonIcon...05-06-2013 @ 13:53 
The Crossfit KingPin
Member 941, 1810 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 285
645.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Stretch your quads and hip flexors
And your hips generaly
DrDIcon...05-06-2013 @ 14:03 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
I've had this for ~16 years. Was told it was Osgood Schlatters' when I was in my teens, and told it's tendonitis for the past ~8 years.

I have found knee sleeves to help reduce the pain when squatting. Mine doesn't hurt too much, but I have a definite bulge below my left knee. Presumable a combination of bone deformation during growth in teens, and a bit of tendonitis.

Streching as suggested above should help, I was told esp. quads and hip flexors.

May be worth trying some knee sleeves if you don't already use them. I also found high-box squats to help when they are flaring up as mine hurt when squatting deep.
GingyIcon...05-06-2013 @ 14:41 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Pretty severe Osgood Schlatters in both leading to tendonitis constantly.

Managing it works best for me when I stretch my quads and hips as much as possible.

Also a major factor I feel is alternating between rehband knee sleeves (which only keep the joint warm) and double ply strength shop bumblebee ones which compress the hell out of the joint for the entire session. Since I started doing this, and not just choosing one or the other, they have been better than ever.

Why this works or indeed whether it's actually the main factor is totally beyond me!
Joe_MFIcon...05-06-2013 @ 18:57 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Yeah im going to book a doctors appointment but im pretty sure its osgood schlatters. Played a lot of football growing up so I guess it might have come through that. Knocked the bump against a table earlier and there was so much pain. I put some ice on it for a bit and it seemed to dull the pain a little. Will stretch hip flexors as they are tight on me.
Joe_MFIcon...18-06-2013 @ 13:53 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
just to follow this up, for anyone who has searched for similar symptoms and come across this thread.
Today I had my doctors appointment and was diagnosed with osgood schlatters almost immediately.
My treatment is anti-inflammatory medicine and rest for 3-4 weeks. if no progress has been made or it starts to hurt again, physio is the next step (would rather some scans were done to get a clear picture of whats going on but there we go)
BrandonMcdonaldIcon...18-06-2013 @ 14:22 
175lb ? no chance !!! man V food.
Member 2049, 154 posts
I have the same thing and badly at that, had it for ~16 years at first it was very tender and unbearable pain any time i bumped it or even touched it, over the years it toughened up and has gotten better and i forgotten i have it. It's a bone overgrowth that happens during puberty so hopefully you are still growing that's the only way to correct the issue, no anti-inflammatory will help it will.
Joe_MFIcon...18-06-2013 @ 15:24 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
im 19 so not sure if i am still growing/that part is still growing. if it is a bone overgrowth then surely an x-ray would show this and negate my need for anti-inflammatorys... it will take at least 4 weeks for the doctor to see me again. and god knows how long before any referral appointments.
George_WinstonIcon...18-06-2013 @ 15:33 
The Crossfit KingPin
Member 941, 1810 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 285
645.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Give up with the doctors, physio will take 2/3 months

Just stretch, everyday, 3/4/5 times
And ice
And take co codamol and train through it
SpiderdanIcon...18-06-2013 @ 15:42 
Member 3353, 169 posts
SQ 200, BP 120, DL 230
550.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
I've got osood schallters in the right knee (although I was never sporty at all when I was younger.)

If I squat much beyond parallel for any consistent amount of time the tendon flairs up and becomes painful. At this point stairs and kneeling down start cause issues.

Best thing I've found is just to not squat as deep most of the time and try to reduce forward knee movement in the squat and leg movements generally (i.e. use more hips.) My depth is good enough for the GBPF so I dont push it beyond that because I know its only going to cause discomfort. I'll never squat ATG but that doesnt bother me.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions